Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 11:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 17-50 vs Canon 17-55 ... my one week tryout

this thread is locked
aaronb
358 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 21, 2012 17:23 |  #46

DreDaze wrote in post #13938766 (external link)
then buy from a retailer that doesn't allow returns...

ding ding ding...

OP is doing nothing wrong, in fact, I appreciate the comparisons. Return policies....that's what they are there for.

450D gripped | Σ 18-50 f/2.8 'Macro' | Σ 30mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 II | 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 | YN-465 x2 | RF-602's]
My Website (external link) + flickr (external link) + Facebook (external link) + P.O.T.N. Feedback

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,435 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 21, 2012 17:38 |  #47

OP, one week and only few crap shots? Sorry, but time and effort well wasted.
Next time read real reviews here
http://www.photozone.d​e/canon-eos (external link) and look at each lens pictures archive on P.O.T.N where much better real life pictures provided by more experienced users.
Sorry.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 21, 2012 17:44 |  #48

aaronb wrote in post #13938788 (external link)
wow.
:roll:

Yeah, that comment sort of shows your ignorance on how common that is. A piece of dog or cat hair is easily inhaled off a piece of clothing when someone tries it on. In some cases this sends people to the ER. This obviously isn't as big of a problem with lenses, but in some cases there are still issues. A family member has a severe allergy to black mold. If she gets near it, she has seizures. She avoids used book stores, garage sales, laundromats, etc. She's had problems with clothes that she later found out were returned.

There are a lot of folks out there with all kinds of issues that may seem strange to the regular SUV-driving male with gelled hair and a Burger King Whopper in his mouth. Severe allergies are common. Remember, not everyone wants what has been in your house.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 21, 2012 17:53 |  #49

I think this is the weirdest thread I've come across here and there have been some doozies.

OP - Good on ya for starting the thread and trying to help the rest of the community with your info. Too bad it was dragged into the ground. :confused:

Matt
flickr (external link)

Mystwalker
608 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 21, 2012 18:23 |  #50

Numenorean wrote in post #13936823 (external link)
You can't return something as new if you've used it. It's no longer new.

I think we should concentrate on the title which is a comparison.

Also, B&H's return policy clearly states they will accept return ... "If, for whatever reason, you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you can return it" - LENS not being as good as other lens sure qualify as "dissatisfied". If B&H try to sell a "RETURNED PRODUCT" as new, that is between B&H and the purchaser - have nothing to do with OP who is not doing anything wrong.

I for one am grateful someone took time and effort to shell out $$ to do this comparison.

aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 21, 2012 18:27 |  #51

Mike55 wrote in post #13938884 (external link)
Yeah, that comment sort of shows your ignorance on how common that is. A piece of dog or cat hair is easily inhaled off a piece of clothing when someone tries it on. In some cases this sends people to the ER. This obviously isn't as big of a problem with lenses, but in some cases there are still issues. A family member has a severe allergy to black mold. If she gets near it, she has seizures. She avoids used book stores, garage sales, laundromats, etc. She's had problems with clothes that she later found out were returned.

There are a lot of folks out there with all kinds of issues that may seem strange to the regular SUV-driving male with gelled hair and a Burger King Whopper in his mouth. Severe allergies are common. Remember, not everyone wants what has been in your house.

:rolleyes:

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 21, 2012 18:30 |  #52

I'll make sure to tell my cousin you think her serious medical condition is stupid.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 21, 2012 18:42 |  #53

Mystwalker wrote in post #13939084 (external link)
I think we should concentrate on the title which is a comparison.

Also, B&H's return policy clearly states they will accept return ... "If, for whatever reason, you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you can return it" - LENS not being as good as other lens sure qualify as "dissatisfied". If B&H try to sell a "RETURNED PRODUCT" as new, that is between B&H and the purchaser - have nothing to do with OP who is not doing anything wrong.

I for one am grateful someone took time and effort to shell out $$ to do this comparison.

Adorama has the exact same policy

silvrg35
190 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2012 19:03 |  #54

So I am guessing most people wouldn't mind receiving a one-week used lens at full retail price?

I know I would prefer a lens that is BNIB.

aquaforester
886 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 21, 2012 19:05 |  #55

watt100 wrote in post #13939178 (external link)
Adorama has the exact same policy

I think you'll find most major online retailers with that policy. They would have to have it to compete.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear

Joei
73 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 21, 2012 19:06 |  #56

monkeymagic wrote in post #13937410 (external link)
I sure hope I don't get one of the OP's lenses if I ever buy anything on B&H. I hope most people who shop online are more ethical than the OP but in fact this discourages me from shopping at B&H all together.

I have to comment here. The OP is not doing anything wrong! B&H does not sell returned items as new! I shop at B&H at store level, they have a separate entrance for their used and return departments which are not part of their retail store, I am almost positive these items are sold as used or sent back to the manufacturer for refurb, when I returned items to them they were given a slip and stamp to differentiate them from new. Kudos To the OP, and don't let people get you down.

aquaforester
886 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 21, 2012 19:09 |  #57

Joei wrote in post #13939347 (external link)
I have to comment here. The OP is not doing anything wrong! B&H does not sell returned items as new! I shop at B&H at store level, they have a separate entrance for their used and return departments which are not part of their retail store, I am almost positive these items are sold as used or sent back to the manufacturer for refurb, when I returned items to them they were given a slip and stamp to differentiate them from new. Kudos To the OP, and don't let people get you down.

+1

I would be very surprised if they were reselling as new. The manufacturer is the one in that agrees to terms with these larger online retailers.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 21, 2012 19:10 |  #58

Joei wrote in post #13939347 (external link)
I have to comment here. The OP is not doing anything wrong!

In this case, I would agree. He's providing a service here. As stated before, it's the dudes who order four copies, scope them all out, and then return the other three that are the issue.

I am almost positive these items are sold as used or sent back to the manufacturer for refurb.

This I don't buy. And I'm not speaking of any store in particular, but there's no way this would work. Lenses in perfect condition with all the materials (note how this is emphasized in most return policys so the item looks factory fresh) are probably resold as new.

Stir ­ Fry ­ A ­ Lot
679 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 21, 2012 19:22 |  #59

kf095 wrote in post #13938867 (external link)
http://www.photozone.d​e/canon-eos (external link) and look at each lens pictures archive on P.O.T.N where much better real life pictures provided by more experienced users.
Sorry.

Most helpful post of the thread.

edit: :rolleyes:

Flickr (external link)
5D3 | 5Dc | 7D | Tok 16-28 | 24-105 | 17-55 | 70-200 f4 IS | Pancake 40 | Sigma 50 | 85 1.8 | Yongnuo 565EX | Demb Flash Bracket | DiffuseIt Bounce Card | Manfrotto 535 CF Tripod | 2x Yongnuo YN560s | 2x PBL Softbox Umbrellas | CyberSync Triggers | Epson R3000 | A very understanding wife

nccb
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 21, 2012 19:46 |  #60

kf095 wrote in post #13938867 (external link)
Sorry.

I can't write what I'd really like to write, otherwise I would probably be banned from POTN.

Sorry for the crap shots (btw you think these are the only shots I took?). Unfortunately in the past week, I've had to, you know - work at a full time job that isn't photography related, travel for medical reasons, and tend to my family. So I didn't get a chance to travel the world and take Ansel Adams masterpieces and load them up for you, your highness.

I did read the reviews - every one possible. And I looked at 95%+ of all the photo archives of these two lenses on POTN. But just because someone with 20 years of experience posted an awesome photo a year ago on a message board doesn't make it the right lens FOR ME.

WTF.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

sponsored links

14,685 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 17-50 vs Canon 17-55 ... my one week tryout
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.