Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 19 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Card Reader, built into computer, having issues

Kristy
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 19, 2012 12:24 |  #1

Hi there,

Does anyone know about the kind of card readers that come with your computer?

My system has 4 different slots on the front of it, so when I download my photos, I just pop in my card and then open the Canon DPP software and download whichever shots I am going to keep.

When you put a card in the little slot, a light turns on, I assume to confirm that it recognizes a card has been inserted.

Anyway, when I put a card into the slot, the light turns on, but the drive letter for that slot doesn't show anything.

Normally in DPP, the drive letter (H) will change to something like "canon" after a card is recognized, then I open the folder and move on.

I have tried a couple of different cards to see if maybe the card is just bad, but get the same result.. light comes on, but no files or folders show in the tree.

I have no idea what to do next.. I looked for updated drivers, but none were needed, and I went to "Services" and made sure the "Smart Card" was set to auto, and I also manually told it to start, but nothing.

Then I set the system to "The Last Known Good Configuration"... that didn't change it either. I swear I used the reader just a couple days ago and it worked fine.

Is this enough information to help with a diagnosis? I tried googling it, but almost everthing I found was for external readers.

Ughhhh... :( I appreciate any suggestions you might be able to offer. Thanks for listening.. :)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin
Kristy :D 5D MkIII, 24-70 / f2.8 L, 2 AB800's, and some modifiers.
My Website Page (external link)
My Flickr Page (external link)

sponsored links
Mc_Fly
33 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 19, 2012 12:36 |  #2

Can you provide some more information....

First of all what brand of PC do you own? Dell/Gateway/Acer?
Second, you can check the support side of your PC manufacturer that will most likely have drivers for the type of mem card reader your PC has.
Third, you can always call them and they can walk you through on troubleshooting the problem.

Most likely either a wire inside has come loose or the card reader has gone bad. They are pretty cheaply built and dont last long.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

5D Mk2 | 60d | 24-105L f/4 | 17-40L f/4 | 50mm f1.4 | 40mm f2.8 | 430ex2 |

Kristy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 19, 2012 12:42 |  #3

Thank you.. those are good suggestions... I hadn't thought of going to the manufacture's site and looking for drivers. I'll try that later on today.. (I have to start my house cleaning now... lol...)

For the additonal information, My system is a Dell, XPS 8000, i7

I need to take an apprentiship class with a computer repair person... lol. I've had so many issues over the years and it seems like something always needs to be fixed.. lol..

Worst case scenario, I'll just buy an external reader that plugs into the USB... so if that is the route I go, feel welcome to reccommend your favorites.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin

David ­ C
98 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 19, 2012 15:39 |  #4

While it previously worked, you may have changed something like getting a new higher capacity card that the older card reader cannot recognize (this happened to me last year). Quick cure was to buy an adapter for the card that in turn plugs into a USB port. The multi-format Vivitar card adapter cost about $15 at Walmart at the time. Another alternative is to use a cable to download directly from the camera, granted this is not as flexible chioce.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,710 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 19, 2012 16:07 |  #5

My card reader on my HP desktop just simple quit working one day.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Kristy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 19, 2012 16:39 |  #6

I just updated the drivers for the card reader, and updated the BIOS just because it said it needed to... lol..

Still the same thing... the drive shows that it is active, (when there isn't a card in the slot, the drive doesn't show up in the list of devices)... but when I try to open it, I just get an error message that says "please insert disc into x. drive"

I guess I'm going to buy a card reader that you use with your USB port...

New thread to come, I guess.. which reader to buy? I have no clue what makes a reader good or not good... maybe the boys at Fry's Electronics will help me.

Oh well. at least my house is clean now.. lol..

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate the kindness and time... And if anyone else happens to think of or know something that I should check, please let me know.

Happy Sunday! :)

~George Carlin

mattia
528 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 21, 2012 06:07 |  #7

Most of the built-in card readers I've seen tend not to have full UDMA support. Just get a decent USB reader (Lexar f'r instance) and enjoy.

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

deletedpenguin
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 21, 2012 20:10 |  #8

Juuuuuuuuuust to cover ALL the bases, have you tried putting the card in another machine (or even back in the camera) to make sure it's working? I've had a card go out on me, and I spent the whole time looking at what might have gone wrong with the computer, only to discover the card was faulty.

I've also had issues with the built in readers in the side of my monitor. They won't always read and/or detect that a card has been inserted. I bought a $30 external USB reader and haven't had any issues since. It's also worth noting that when I have inserted cards (and left in the machine), it tends to slow down the boot process of the computer, as it thinks it's a bootable drive.

Stefan | StefanPetersen.com.au (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

936 views & 0 likes for this thread
Card Reader, built into computer, having issues
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.