Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 00:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Small, cheap lightweight tripod for travel

Willin87
29 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 22, 2012 00:49 |  #1

So I'll be going to florida this spring break, and italy this summer. I really want to bring a trips with me because I absolutely love doing night time photos with long exposure, on lit buildings, stars, etc., but my primary video tripod is too big. I was wondering if you know any tripods that are lightweight and compact but work well for around $50 or so? I will only use this for traveling and things where I can't take my primary one. I also might be doing some time lapses for fun too.
Thanks for your help,
Nick
Edit: I only have a 50mm and an 18-55mm kit lens for now, but I'm thinking about buying a bigger lens for this summer in italy.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/nickvwilliamson​/ (external link)
60D - Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG Macro II - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - Canon 50mm f/1.8

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 22, 2012 01:45 |  #2

I have a Bogen tabletop tripod with a mini ball head that's lightweight and solid as a rock (thanks to the absurdly short legs). It's a great travel choice because you can stick it in a pocket, yet you can often find a wall to set it on so it's up at a decent height.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 22, 2012 09:05 |  #3

You can get some minitripods at B&H, but I think your best bet is a beanbag (external link). Much more stable than a small tripod.

Photo courtesy Amazon

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 22, 2012 09:47 |  #4

I think I'm going to order a Surui T005. Good discussion with pics here.

No matter what there is always trade offs with these little guys. I think a little table top that could fit in your pocket would be a good tool in the kit too.

http://forums.dpreview​.com …rum=1042&messag​e=40691043 (external link)

Matt
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,945 views & 0 likes for this thread
Small, cheap lightweight tripod for travel
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.