Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 02 May 2006 (Tuesday) 20:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NC POTN Members - Where are you?

mtnphtgrphr
POTN Photographer of the Year 2008

15,250 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 02, 2011 22:30 |  #271

A couple of us are not too far from Rutherford County! And you'd be surprised what small counties can have to take pictures of! I know Woolburr (Dan) and I have ventured through MANY small counties in the western end of NC and found LOADS to take pictures of along the way!

Welcome! Keep an eye on this thread and venture out to shoot with a group of POTN'ers in July! Details are still being hammered out, but we're a fun group!

Jenn, gone back to novice photographer...
GEAR LIST http:// …

sponsored links
TimB
33 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 03, 2011 04:06 |  #272

Jon, I took that photo at a local fly-in. There are a bunch of home builts in the area. I'll try to keep everyone posted on the local fly-ins if your interested.

Jon wrote in post #12466006 (external link)
Well, both of you check your calendars for around July 15-18 along the Blue Ridge somewhere (see my sig.) And Tim - I'd be interested in shooting around where you got your avatar if you're game - I'm going to be around Charlotte for a couple of weeks in Feb. I think.

Tim (external link)
Canon 20D, 18-55, 50 1.8, 75-300, 24-70 2.8L, 580EX
Charlotte NC Photography FB Group (external link)

bsp
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 03, 2011 06:13 |  #273

zebadee2010 wrote in post #12526104 (external link)
Sorry I skipped the first 18 pages, but anyways
I'm basically a amateur/hobbyist
I'm from Rutherford County
I have no website as I just started about a year ago.
And for now I just take pictures from my front porch, still trying to find places to take pictures without driving to far.
Rutherford County is small run down and good for nothing basically. Our motto is Small Town Friendly though. haha

Not too far, I am from Kings Mountain. I feel your pain trying to not go too far while trying to find interesting things to shoot. If you head this way there are plenty of trails over by Crowders Mountain, and of course you are only 30-45 minutes from Chimney Rock so that is definitely an afternoon trip if you ask me!

Brian
Gear & Feedback

JOSX2
627 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 03, 2011 09:35 |  #274

GeeMack wrote in post #12475827 (external link)
Just found this thread. What kind of groups are in the Raleigh area? Any regular or semi-regular meet and greets going on??

On meetup.com:
The Raleigh Outdoor Photography club - http://www.meetup.com/​ROPClub/ (external link)
The North Carolina Photograph Group: Triangle Chapter: http://www.meetup.com/​NCPG-Triangle/ (external link)
Triangle Photography Club: http://www.meetup.com/​Triangle-Photography-Club/ (external link)

I recently joined all three groups, but I haven't had a chance to attend any meetups yet. They have a lot during weekdays which I can't make during work, & the weekend ones haven't fit in w/ my schedule yet :(

website: Jim O'Sullivan Photography (external link) | Facebook (external link)
The Camera:  |- Gripped 60D  -|- EF-S 50mm f/1.8 II -|- Canon 24-70mm f/4 -|- Canon 70-200 f/4 -|
Speedlights:   |- 3 Yongnou YN600EX-RT Speedlights -|- YN-E3-RT Transmitter -|
Studio Strobes:  |- Alien Bee B800 & B1600 -|- CyberSync Wireless system -|

zebadee2010
80 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 03, 2011 10:58 |  #275

True there are things to take pictures of, but it's mostly just run down mills and older things like that, which have their place. But I prefer nature stuff for the most part.

Canon 60D
Kit 18-55mm Tamron 28-70 f/2.8
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 Quantaray 70-200mm f/4-5.6

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 03, 2011 12:36 |  #276

zebadee2010 wrote in post #12529110 (external link)
True there are things to take pictures of, but it's mostly just run down mills and older things like that, which have their place. But I prefer nature stuff for the most part.

Are you talking about the triangle area? There are millions of things to take pictures of even if you are only shooting nature. And if shooting other things, tons of stuff too. Sorry, but i hate it when people say there is nothing or little to shoot. It just means you really haven't looked.

There are other clubs in the area besides the ones listed, some with really talented photgraphers mixed in.

Tell me what you want to shoot and i can find it in the triangle. I have beach pictures, tropical waterfalls with lava flows, outerspace ships, wild life galour, sports, fine art, etc. I am still looking for a castle but i am sure i will find one.

~ Jeff

Canon EOS-1DX & 1Ds MkIII, 20D(IR), G12, G9, G5, ... Gear List
JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

bsp
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 03, 2011 12:42 |  #277

^Nope, he is referring to down in the area just west of Charlotte, Rutherford County. There are things to shoot down here, it is just that none of the really good spots have signs pointing to them...gotta go in search of them!

Side note, when I make my way up to the triangle area you will have to show me all the stuff you menioned...sounds like fun!

Brian
Gear & Feedback

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 03, 2011 12:42 |  #278

JOSX2 wrote in post #12528535 (external link)
On meetup.com:
The Raleigh Outdoor Photography club - http://www.meetup.com/​ROPClub/ (external link)
The North Carolina Photograph Group: Triangle Chapter: http://www.meetup.com/​NCPG-Triangle/ (external link)
Triangle Photography Club: http://www.meetup.com/​Triangle-Photography-Club/ (external link)

I recently joined all three groups, but I haven't had a chance to attend any meetups yet. They have a lot during weekdays which I can't make during work, & the weekend ones haven't fit in w/ my schedule yet :(

Capital city camera club
chapel hill club
chapter of npnc
strobists meetups
modelmayhem meetups

and many more

Please excuse typos. I use my smart phone with voice-to-text frequently.

~ Jeff

JMM Photography ~ Discovering Art in Everyday Lifeexternal link | Model Mayhem #675060external link

mtnphtgrphr
POTN Photographer of the Year 2008

15,250 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 03, 2011 12:48 as a reply to  @ TooManyHobbies's post |  #279

TooManyHobbies wrote in post #12529760 (external link)
Are you talking about the triangle area? There are millions of things to take pictures of even if you are only shooting nature. And if shooting other things, tons of stuff too. Sorry, but i hate it when people say there is nothing or little to shoot. It just means you really haven't looked.

There are other clubs in the area besides the ones listed, some with really talented photgraphers mixed in.

Tell me what you want to shoot and i can find it in the triangle. I have beach pictures, tropical waterfalls with lava flows, outerspace ships, wild life galour, sports, fine art, etc. I am still looking for a castle but i am sure i will find one.

There's a couple of castles in Asheville... Seely Castle... it's not easily visible but it's a castle! LOL Fall or winter are the best times to see it. It's private property now so you can't go on the grounds. And then of course... America's Castle... aka Biltmore House!

And there's Castle Ladyhawke near Cullowhee, NC

Jenn, gone back to novice photographer...
GEAR LIST http:// …

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 03, 2011 20:02 |  #280

Not as hard as I thought then. I'll have to try and find icebergs then.

~ Jeff

GeeMack
778 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 04, 2011 10:41 |  #281

josx2 & toomanyhobbies. Thanks.... I signed up for one to see what it's all about. I'll follow the others.

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C
glmphotos.zenfolio.com (external link)

ISO ­ Boz
442 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 04, 2011 13:06 |  #282

Asheville has the largest privately owned home which is another word for castle and another word for The Biltmore.

Seeley's has not been avaliable to the public for many many years but I'd love to shoot it. I have been there when it was a residence back in the late 60's but not snice.

Asheville also has; shall we say, a very colorful collection of people downtown.

MikeThompson
262 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 22, 2012 11:15 |  #283

Murphy, NC here. Lots of great photo ops, the Ocoee river is about 10 miles west of me and several waterfalls within an hour or two.

Mike
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming....."WOW, WHAT A RIDE".

TooManyHobbies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,734 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 23, 2012 09:27 |  #284

Thanks for checking in!

~ Jeff

lisashobby
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 27, 2012 17:26 |  #285

Hello, I live in Wilkes County, which is in the foothills between Winston-Salem and Boone, which is a beautiful rual area. Close to the BRP and many, many national and state forests and parks. I'm fairly new to digtial photography. I have a canon 60D and I'm still learning. I have always been a shutter bug, but I didn't realize how much I didn't know until I took a class to learn more. I feel overwhelmed at times, but still inspired to get out and shoot as often as possiable.

sponsored links

45,506 views & 0 likes for this thread
NC POTN Members - Where are you?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.