Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?

dino8031
845 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 23, 2012 19:59 |  #1

I love my 60D rig, Sigma 30, 50, 17-50, Canon 70-200, 24-105, etc., but I'm tired of hauling it all around, or even just the body and one or two lenses. A compact mirrorless system is looking very tempting.

I've hated every point and shoot I've ever owned, mostly because of shutter lag and terrible low light performance, but I'm thinking of going to a micro 4/3 format, maybe an Oly EP3 or the upcoming EM-5.

Whatever it is, it needs to have quick, accurate auto-focus, really good low light performance, a decent burst rate, and pretty much the performance of a good DSLR to work for me, just in a smaller size. I've tried all flavor of Rebels and haven't been particularly happy with them.

My question is, has anyone made the switch to a 4/3 system and been happy with it? My apologies if this has been discussed before.

sponsored links
Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,620 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 23, 2012 20:03 |  #2

Whatever it is, it needs to have quick, accurate auto-focus, really good low light performance, a decent burst rate, and pretty much the performance of a good DSLR to work for me, just in a smaller size. I've tried all flavor of Rebels and haven't been particularly happy with them.

This is the trade off, you will compromise most of this plus the nice viewfinder but there are some interesting options coming soon. fujifilm x-pro1, Canon G1x and I am sure others.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

MrNothing
125 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 23, 2012 20:11 |  #3

I steal my sis's GF2 on days i go out and decide not to take my own equipment. You can get some pretty darn good shots if you've got everything right (right lens choice and definitely lighting wherever you are). That being said, I always fall back to my equipment as I feel it gives me more dominance and control over whatever i'm shooting. For me, its more of a back up, to take out for fun system then something i'd want to seriously invest in.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2012 20:21 |  #4

If low light performance is a must then the smaller the sensor, the worst the performance. That is a given. The again, what ISO are you shooting with the 60D ? There are also no fast zooms for 4/3'rds that I am aware of, so you'd be cranking up the ISO to make up for the slow lenses.

For what I often shoot, FF and f2.8 zooms or faster primes is my only option.

I have thought of getting a 4/3rd's when I do not want to drag the bigger camera(s) and lenses around but none of the 4/3'rds are pocketable so what is the point ?

Sure, I can buy one of those and mount a small prime... but, again, I do not see the point of an expensive camera system with 1 or 2 primes. I'm sure they are great options for some but, I don't have the slightest interest in one. I might by the Fuji X10 for my wife but that is as far as I am willing to go.

Personally I look at the 4/3rd's cameras as a step up from cheaper P&S's but way short of larger sensor cameras and their lens options.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 23, 2012 20:31 |  #5

I used micro 4/3 pretty effectively for a year. I used the GH1 and still use a GF1 more than my 5D mark 2 for most situations. When I want the best then I reach for the 5D. There are some bright zooms coming out soon for 4/3rds and the video quality is exceptional just ask Phillip Bloom. There are many good things about the system and if you look at DXO ratings you will find the differences especcially with the new Olympus OM-D the low light performance is very good. I did a show in which was all shot in lowlight with micro 4/3rds.

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 23, 2012 20:33 |  #6

I have an E-P2 for a carry-around, and the EM-5 on order. Almost jumped for an E-P3, but am happy I procrastinated. Looking forward to the improved sensor, integrated EVF, and fast shutter of the EM-5. However, not departing the DLSR world either. I dabble in macro focus stacking with an attached computer controlling a 5D2 with Helicon Remote. The Oly Micro 4/3 series does not do this...yet.

Jim

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 23, 2012 20:42 |  #7

mumble TS-E mumble

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 23, 2012 20:43 |  #8

I like what I read and see about the new oly E-M5. From the pre-production samples and the previews , the camera is very close to a real winner for people who are lookiong for a small size mirrorless camera.

It seems the camera has:

1. Impressive high ISO and Ultra high ISO performance : http://fourthirds-user.com …s_pen_ep3_and_o​md_em5.php (external link)
2. Very nice Jpeg color rendtion + the signature oly color enhancement
3. Incredible 5 direction in body IS which might be better and more effective than the lens IS. Super useful for handheld video.
4. Top notch AF speed and tracking ability.
5. Responsive performance... minimzed operation lags.
6. Dial and buttons..means fast and versatile operational controls.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2012 20:48 |  #9

Let's be serious here. A 4/3rd's sensor is not going to have impressive high ISO and Ultra High ISO performance. Maybe for a 4'3rd's sensor, based on what has preceded it but in absolute terms, never.

You sound like you own a lot of stock in Olympus. The camera is not out, yet.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 23, 2012 21:08 |  #10

bohdank wrote in post #13955305 (external link)
Let's be serious here. A 4/3rd's sensor is not going to have impressive high ISO and Ultra High ISO performance. Maybe for a 4'3rd's sensor, based on what has preceded it but in absolute terms, never.

You sound like you own a lot of stock in Olympus. The camera is not out, yet.

Oh Give me a break... Didn't I say "pre-production" and "preview"???? Of course I KNOW the camera is not out yet.

I said I like what I read and saw so far...What's wrong with that? I am not sure what make you think "I sound like I own a lot of stock in Olympus"... not sure what's your problem

I just don't blindly dismiss any possibilty that new technology may bring. Never say never...

Check out the recent new release, the previews and pre-production AND the SAMPLE PICTURES. The pre-production pictures are VERY IMPRESSIVE to me in term of noise, details retention and color rendition/enhancement.​.. given the 4/3s are significantly smaller than APS-C and FF sensor.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2012 21:10 |  #11

If you say so ;-)a

I'll wait till there are "real" sample images available in RAW.

No camera has ever stood up to the pre production hype.

A small observation.... buttons.... ya it has buttons and dials.... DPReview noted that since the camera is so small, it appears to be a PITA to actually use them.

Anyway... I'll wait till the camera is in reviewers hands to render a final opinion.

No matter how good it is I won't be buying one so it's more out of curiosity I am following developments.

if I buy a smaller camera it will have to be pocketable (coat pocket) and be happy with 1 lens. If not, I'll keep using my 5DII's. So far, the Fuji X10 seems fit those requirements the best.

If it works for you, who am I to say it doesn't. It's just that, I do not get excited about cameras that are not better than what I already have.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 23, 2012 23:30 |  #12

I love my Gh2 as a walkabout, travel and social occasion snapper, I can carry a range of lenses and a body that gives me a 14-600mm focal length, which only takes up as much room as the 5dm2 and a 24-105L.
Performance wise in raw is really good for a small sensor, only pixel peeping would you start seeing the limitations of the sensor size.
So it is a viable alternative to an aps-c system, but I still use the ff if high IQ is required at high ISO (eg.6400 and above)

Focus in low light is a bit of an issue, as the contrast detection AF is not as good in low levels resulting in a lot of hunting. But focus in normal light is as fast as the phase detection systems and full AF in video is a bonus.

I also enjoy using different lenses on the GH2, like a FD 300mm f/2.8, 500mm f/8 CAT lens etc., all you need is an adaptor.

Beware though it can be quite an investment getting in M4/3, as lenses are almost the same price as their aps-c and ff counterparts

With good technique you can get good results with m4/3

this was through glass

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i81.photobucket​.com …6/lannes2007/_1​030906.jpg (external link)

this was using the kit lens and cropped a bit
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i81.photobucket​.com …6/lannes2007/_1​000711.jpg (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 23, 2012 23:58 |  #13

dino8031 wrote in post #13954926 (external link)
or the upcoming EM-5.

Dont settle, Go for the EM-5..that thing is a beast...and its the mirrorless to beat at the moment.... I've seen the samples and I gotta admit, They look damn close to APS-C, Even in terms of noise at higher ISOs...from what i've seen 3200 and 6400 look perfectly good....

A couple here have switched... Heck I was drawn to the OM-D for a bit actually (Combination of reasons, one of which being that its physically difficult for me to work my 7D sometimes) So yeah.... I understand the appeal

For me the problem came down to the lack of something like my 70-200 f/4L as of right now(Panasonic has a 12-35 and 35-100 f/2.8 pair in the works however)...Also the fact I cant go physically hold one yet...I'd want to do that before dropping the cash on it...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,362 posts
Gallery: 550 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 23, 2012 23:59 |  #14

lannes wrote in post #13956340 (external link)
I love my Gh2 as a walkabout, travel and social occasion snapper, I can carry a range of lenses and a body that gives me a 14-600mm focal length, which only takes up as much room as the 5dm2 and a 24-105L.
Performance wise in raw is really good for a small sensor, only pixel peeping would you start seeing the limitations of the sensor size.
So it is a viable alternative to an aps-c system, but I still use the ff high IQ is required at high ISO (eg.6400 and above)

Focus in low light is a bit of an issue, as the contrast detection AF is not as good in low levels resulting in a lot of hunting. But focus in normal light is as fast as the phase detection systems and full AF in video is a bonus.

I also enjoy using different lenses on the GH2, like a FD 300mm f/2.8, 500mm f/8 CAT lens etc., all you need is an adaptor.

Beware though it can be quite an investment getting in M4/3, as lenses are almost the same price as their aps-c and ff counterparts

With good technique you can get good results with m4/3

this was through glass

this was using the kit lens and cropped a bit

What did you get the pic of the hawk with?

Also how close did you get for the bee/bee mimic there

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 24, 2012 00:46 |  #15

Have you thought about the NEX-7? It has the same APS-C sensor that's in the A77, and it has the same EVF as well.

It's a very nice camera. The only down side at the moment, is the NEX lens lineup is rather sparse, but if you don't mind manual focusing, you can use the lenses you have (and with focus peaking on the EVF, it's a great option).

For it's size, it's the best all around camera in my opinion.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

sponsored links

82,576 views & 2 likes for this thread
DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.