Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
mdvaden
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 23, 2012 00:32 as a reply to  @ post 13948714 |  #6256

RE the last two replies, I'm beginning to find out that some images I thought least likely to be used, may become favorite images if something is changed or cropped.

These examples below are not seniors.

But I'm posting them because the shots of these two people were submitted to a retoucher with high school senior photography in mind.

I wanted to see what could be done with two images I shelved, to see what kind of salvaging was available, and what extra I could make available as a memorabelia component. I think I want to compile a photo package that offers at least one manipulated image per photo shoot.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
crissoft
46 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 23, 2012 04:30 |  #6257

sevillafox wrote in post #11436023 (external link)
Process raw in LR. Tweak WB and set clarity at +20.
Export to PSD.

In PS....
Dupe layer. Remove blemishes using patch tool.
Dupe layer again. Use patch tool to remove undereye circles. This will look way too smooth so I always adjust the opacity of the layer to taste. Sometimes I do a low opacity cloning to remove and y darkness.
Flatten.

Here I run a few actions.
1. MCP High Definition sharpening. Then I mask off skin and the background. Usually only clothes, hair, teeth, lips (if they aren't dry looking), and eyes are sharpened.
2. Run MCP eye doctor. This is a paid action but worth every penny. I usually only use the eye sharpening layer. Sometimes I will use the eye lightening layer but mostly just on brown eyed folks.
3. flatten.
4. run portraiture on a dupe layer and have it export a transparency mask. I will then add a layer mask and mask off everything but skin, and sometimes lips to soften them a bit.
5. Then I do the color pop. I usually just do it on background stuff and clothes.

That's it.

Thanks, Tiffany, for sharing this with us. Can you elaborate the last step, please? Thanks again :-)

5D mark III, 35mm f/2.0 IS, 50mm f/1.8 STM, 85mm f/1.8, 430 EX II

lawdog2k
960 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 23, 2012 06:42 |  #6258

sevillafox wrote in post #11436023 (external link)
That's it.

:), that's it....:)

A guy with a couple cameras, some lenses, and accoutrements
Freelance for Magazines
Gear&Feedback | Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 23, 2012 07:47 |  #6259

crissoft wrote in post #13949462 (external link)
Thanks, Tiffany, for sharing this with us. Can you elaborate the last step, please? Thanks again :-)

Shamefully, I will admit to using actions to do this. Again with phaunt actions or MCP. But, there are tons of free color pop actions out there. It's basically just saturating the colors more.

lawdog2k wrote in post #13949779 (external link)
:), that's it....:)

:p It looks a lot written out but is really simple. So, shutty! ;)

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 23, 2012 07:57 |  #6260

mdvaden wrote in post #13948768 (external link)
I wanted to see what could be done with two images I shelved, to see what kind of salvaging was available, and what extra I could make available as a memorabelia component. I think I want to compile a photo package that offers at least one manipulated image per photo shoot.

These have gone entirely in the direction of fake and cheesy. I know photo manipulations are by definition fake, but they don't have to scream it in your face. I'm being brutally honest because I don't want you to waste your money farming images out and getting that back.

Shoot as if salvaging is never an option. And if you know beforehand that you want to create a composite image of some kind, do it intentionally and not as a cover-up.

joe

max3k
780 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 23, 2012 10:12 |  #6261

i agree with the cheese factor, but im all for trying new things. Just shoot them in camera =)

5D Mark II, 70-200L f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 and some other stuff
Facebook Page (external link)
http://www.RyanJonesPh​oto.com (external link)
My Photo Blog (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 23, 2012 10:28 |  #6262

charro callado wrote in post #13950002 (external link)
These have gone entirely in the direction of fake and cheesy. I know photo manipulations are by definition fake, but they don't have to scream it in your face. I'm being brutally honest because I don't want you to waste your money farming images out and getting that back.

Shoot as if salvaging is never an option. And if you know beforehand that you want to create a composite image of some kind, do it intentionally and not as a cover-up.

joe

The goal with those was not to salvage senior shoots (future) with manipulations. The goal of sending those other shots, was to see what the heck a retoucher or graphics person could do with what I felt were my worst shots. Which seemed admirable, because the man in the one, was blown away by the results. He was a practice run, and had already seen the before on a disc. Because if they can do a lot with my worst, then it tells me where they can go with the best. That's why I did not send two of my better shots.

For future senior shoots, the idea would not be salvaging. It would be including a few GOOD shots, where one is selected for a special effects thing.

I've recently found out that the young folks - the recipients - love stuff out of the ordinary. Like the high school boy next door who asked me to make his eyes orange in one image, one of the OSU colors. Same shot where we put a big poofy wig on his head.

I do like the idea of shooting as if salvaging is not an option. Wish I could even shoot as if discarding bad shots was not so easy and free.

In fact, it's that kind of thing that can not only get the subject to do backflips over it, but they can spread it virally among friends, which is a huge advertising advantage.

So much so, that I could almost foot the bill, so to speak, on the manipulation.

On the note of cheesy though, I have determined that one thing virtually always looks cheesy. That is studio shots with backgrounds. I'm just learning that. But to me, if it's not a real setting like outdoors, or in a real room with real machinery, etc., the shots are in a way cheesy. But I've accepted that it can be a very nice form of cheesy. Because there are lots of studio shots that I like.

:cool:

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 23, 2012 10:37 |  #6263

mdvaden wrote in post #13951028 (external link)
For future senior shoots, the idea would not be salvaging. It would be including a few GOOD shots, where one is selected for a special effects thing.

So much so, that I could almost foot the bill, so to speak, on the manipulation.

Which company are you using and how much is it per image? :) I do like the truck one, although they didnt do the best job where she is sitting, but probably better than what I can do with half an hour in photoshop. :)

Canon investor

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 23, 2012 11:02 |  #6264

GerryDavid wrote in post #13951095 (external link)
Which company are you using and how much is it per image? :) I do like the truck one, although they didnt do the best job where she is sitting, but probably better than what I can do with half an hour in photoshop. :)

Let me PM you about that. But also, do you see the name at the bottom of the image?

Message sent .....

The retoucher's specialty is not graphics, which they told me already. But their ingenuity for a concept at the drop of a hat was triple what I expected. Every bit as good as the one retoucher whose portfolio got me even considering this angle. It was a lot more affordable than a 3rd LA based outfit that was out of my price-range.

I can fix skin and facial stuff a little. And for landscaping, I'm great with those design elements. But in graphic arts stuff like this, it seems so much more practical to just let someone with a real knack for it, go to town in 1/10th the time it would take me to still be scratching my head.

jb_browneyes
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2012 12:00 |  #6265

Vaden it was soften. mask off feathers (I didn't do a good job on that),Duplicate -selective color on feather and eyes with color pop- Levels- reduce opacity top layer just a little.

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and website (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 23, 2012 21:55 |  #6266

mdvaden wrote in post #13951301 (external link)
Let me PM you about that. But also, do you see the name at the bottom of the image?

I do now, I didnt give it much thought since I figured that was your website. I didnt look at it carefully. Do they put that on the final result? Since you are paying them for the service, its not something I would want to be in the image the client gets.

Canon investor

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 23, 2012 23:19 |  #6267

I'm sorry, but I would not pay a dime for those edits....they cheapen those photographs tremendously! You would have been better off giving client the originals...just my opinion.

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 24, 2012 00:28 |  #6268

jmalonear wrote in post #13956290 (external link)
I'm sorry, but I would not pay a dime for those edits....they cheapen those photographs tremendously! You would have been better off giving client the originals...just my opinion.

Both were given the originals.

And they like the graphic edits enough that the woman immediately used her's for an avatar.

And the man right away asked how to get a poster size printed.

Related to what I wrote earlier, edits like that are worth ten times what was paid for them in advertising value.

Had I applied your approach for my needs, I'd have been worse off. And in my 30 years of business, I typically choose what helps. Advertising costs money anyway.

If $25 to $50 for a graphic reduces advertising costs elsewhere, and brings in extra income, it's hardly even an expense. It's like savings. In a few months, the results erase the expenditure.

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 24, 2012 00:42 |  #6269

mdvaden wrote in post #13956585 (external link)
Both were given the originals.

And they like the graphic edits enough that the woman immediately used her's for an avatar.

And the man right away asked how to get a poster size printed.

Related to what I wrote earlier, edits like that are worth ten times what was paid for them in advertising value.

Sorry...I disagree. I would not want that edit shown on facebook, even if they had 5000 friends. I will not even show a client something that I am not 100% happy to share online.
I deal a lot with small children, and I have parents that have spent several dollars in orders from me and I give them a facebook image for their profile. A week later one of their friends snap a shot of their kid and post it. The image can be horrible quality and poor photography, but that really doesn't matter to them. They still pull down my image and make the awful picture their profile. This also happens with seniors, and adults. It's more about them, instead of the quality of the image. So therefore I can see why they would make it their profile picture. But if that is what people see, with your name attached to it, it could do you more harm than good.
Maybe in your area people would think that was good. If I showed anything like that, I would not book another session this year.
I mean nothing against you, and hope this doesn't come across that way, I just think the edits are horrible...lol
Good Luck! Hopefully it works for your good!

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 24, 2012 01:50 |  #6270

jmalonear wrote in post #13956670 (external link)
Sorry...I disagree. I would not want that edit shown on facebook, even if they had 5000 friends. I will not even show a client something that I am not 100% happy to share online.
I deal a lot with small children, and I have parents that have spent several dollars in orders from me and I give them a facebook image for their profile. A week later one of their friends snap a shot of their kid and post it. The image can be horrible quality and poor photography, but that really doesn't matter to them. They still pull down my image and make the awful picture their profile. This also happens with seniors, and adults. It's more about them, instead of the quality of the image. So therefore I can see why they would make it their profile picture. But if that is what people see, with your name attached to it, it could do you more harm than good.
Maybe in your area people would think that was good. If I showed anything like that, I would not book another session this year.
I mean nothing against you, and hope this doesn't come across that way, I just think the edits are horrible...lol
Good Luck! Hopefully it works for your good!

One lesson I'm learning is that edits can be done for certain people.

In my landscape business, I mastered getting into the thoughts of customers to find out what they want. Then I designed for them alone. In photography, I'm seeing that the same thing applies.

Some folks won't appreciate graphics. I'm starting to compile a graphics album too, to see how folks react. That way I won't need to spin my wheels.

As far as what you think you might lose, how would you know? If you have not posted those kinds of graphics, it seems like you would have no way to ascertain other than speculation. Have you ever posted or included examples very close to that kind of editing before, in a portfolio for people to see? Or have you shown other photographers graphics to potential customers and heard them gag in exclamation?

sponsored links

2,681,119 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.