Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

POTN forums are closing 31.12.2023. Please see https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1530921 and other posts in that thread for details.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Anyone have a small home studio setups with just Off Camera flashes like 580EXII's?

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 23, 2012 22:00 |  #1

Anyone have a small home studio setups with just Off Camera flashes like 580EXII's?

Any pictures of your setup, umbrellas, softboxes etc?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

mikeca42
145 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 24, 2012 00:16 |  #2

I do, but I don't currently have any pictures of it. I use it in my rather large living room with high ceilings, so maybe it does not qualify as a "small" home studio.

I have the following:

4 x 580ex II
2 x LP160
1 x Westcott Apollo Orb 43" - usually used as the key light.
2 x Manafrotto 1052BAC Light Stands
3 x Manafrotto nano stands
1x Paul Bluff Baby Boom arm - used with Apollo Orb to solve issue with tilting down
5 x Pocket Wizard Plus II triggers
4 x Lastolite - Triflash Bracket
1 Portable background support system
2 solid backgrounds (muslim), 1 black, 1 white.
2 Honl grids (1/8 and 1/4)
Assorted color correction and accent filters for flash.
Assorted Umbrellas, 43" reflective, 43" shoot through, 32" shoot through
2x Rouge Flash Benders - mostly used as flags
2x Cheap LED panels - used as a modeling light in the Apollo Orb.
1x Reflector mount arm, used to mount a reflector on a light stand.

I usually use two 580ex II and a Cheap LED panel as a modeling light on the TriFlash bracket in Apollo Orb. For a fill light I usually use a 43" reflective umbrella with two 580ex II. The 580ex IIs are triggered by a PW using a splitter cable to trigger the two in each modifier. The LP160s are used as background and/or hair/accent lights. The background light sometimes use accent filters to change the color or the white background. I use the LP160s as optical slaves.

From a cost point of view, this studio setup does not really make sense. You could easily get a good studio strobe for the cost of two 580ex IIs. This setup does not get used in my studio that much. The main goal of this setup is portability. I do a lot of my shoots on site, some indoors, more outdoors. I also shoot a lot of events where I need on camera flash. My wife and I both work those events so we need at least two 580ex IIs plus backup equipment anyway.

You don't really need two 580ex IIs in an Apollo Orb. You could use just one. You might have to increase you ISO to 200 to get to f/8, but that is no issue with any modern camera. Even ISO 400 would be fine. I use two mostly because I have them.

I have been experimenting with a setup to do HSS outdoors where I use three 580ex IIs as slaves and the fourth 580ex II as a non-firing master on a 30 ft E-TTL cable. If I can get it all working reliably I may try to use it for a beach shoot this weekend to try to do some shallow depth of field shots.

The main point is I need the equipment for other reasons than the home studio, so I am just using it when I need to shot something in the studio.

Bear ­ Dale
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 24, 2012 00:22 |  #3

Thanks for the info Mike, sounds like a pretty great setup.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

questionmarc
835 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 24, 2012 00:26 |  #4

i'm in the process of turning my living room into a little workspace - its 12X20 feet with 8foot high ceilings

i have a 580 and a yn565 and an einstein
1 kacey bd
1 apollo orb
1 xsmall lightdome
some gels
9foot thunder grey seamless

just have to mount the seamless and setup the gear - i should have pictures by next week at the latest!

will let you know

60D, 5DmkIII, 50 f1.8
Facebook Page (external link)
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

1,312 views & 0 likes for this thread, 3 members have posted to it.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.