Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HSS for $15?

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 22, 2012 13:56 |  #1

LINK (external link)
What do you guys think about this method?
I am thinking about getting a st-e2 for high speed sync, but this looks like a better method.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links
bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 22, 2012 14:10 |  #2

I think I'd be willing to pay someone 15 bucks to watch that video and give me the cliff notes. Once he started describing the batteries of the PW I tuned out. Do you have an idea at what part he starts getting to the point?

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 22, 2012 14:11 |  #3

I agree. the video and descriptions are way too drawn out. Just skip to the end.

He basically puts an optical trigger on the head of different flashes that have HSS and then run the cord from the optical receiver into the Wireless trigger.
It seemed to work flawlessly.

LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 22, 2012 14:24 |  #4

It's only $15 if you already have all that equipment. You'd need a compatible ETTL flash that can do HSS as well as flash triggers and additional lights.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 22, 2012 14:28 |  #5

What I am wondering is, If this method is as a good and simple as it seems, why isnt it more popular?

KinoC
524 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 22, 2012 19:11 |  #6

I'm planning to get the PW PlusIII and I will add the optical trigger just to see if it works like Tom Shue's says. If it does I will be a very happy person!

KC
1Dx |5D MII | 7D|16-35 MII|24-70 MII|70-200 MII

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 22, 2012 19:36 |  #7

ChadAndreo wrote in post #13944979 (external link)
What I am wondering is, If this method is as a good and simple as it seems, why isnt it more popular?

It's been done for a while now. Search for "high speed sync hack" or "tail sync hack" and you'll find some good info on it. BTW, that blogger is a member here under the name "akfreak"

I guess it depends on what you need HSS for in the first place. If it's just to shoot at wide apertures, it's easier just to put a ND filter on and shoot at regular sync speeds. The hack relies on a long flash duration and not everyone's equipment will work.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 22, 2012 20:45 |  #8

Don't see why this can't be done in Camera.

I guess they are holding out to release this type of feature in 2015.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 23, 2012 08:09 |  #9

isoMorphic wrote in post #13947650 (external link)

A lot of the old film SLR cameras had this feature. They had two sync ports marked "X' for electronic flashes and "FP" for long burning flash bulbs. "HyperSync"ing or optical triggering using a flash in HSS mode would be equivalent to using the "FP" sync port on the old SLR cameras so this "feature" is nothing new. ;)

...Leo

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 23, 2012 14:50 |  #10

So basically i need to find some of those SLRs and gut them to get the parts. Then charge $500 to add this $5 feature by hacking up cameras to add a Hyper Film Port for others.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 23, 2012 21:16 |  #11

isoMorphic wrote in post #13952951 (external link)
So basically i need to find some of those SLRs and gut them to get the parts. Then charge $500 to add this $5 feature by hacking up cameras to add a Hyper Film Port for others.

Yes, and don't forget to look for long-burn flash bulbs, too, while you're at it because most electronic flashes don't work very well for "hypersyncing". ;)

...Leo

akfreak
Goldmember
1,087 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 24, 2012 02:18 |  #12

@PaceAce<--- Hey Bro, hows it going? It's been a few days. I hope all is well in your world!

isoMorphic wrote in post #13947650 (external link)

I spoke to a Senior Canon Tech VP at the WPPI 2012 in a suite on the 21st floor. I signed an NDA and everything so I cant go into any detail. But I can say this. I the maker of the video from the OP's link, gave the right person at Canon an exact method on how and why they need to add a shutter sync offset timing built into the firmware of a Canon Camera.

It will all be strobe dependent strobe dependent, but to have full control over a timing offset, just like the micro lens adjustment but for Flash trigger timings is invaluable.

I pitched it as being able to use your camera at any shutter speed with any strobes (speed lights or studio). You can have your Master flash in HSS and instead of having to buy a Mini TT1 or Flex TT5 to control a timing offset based on a preflash signal. It will all be in camera. No need to have a laptop to change the timings based on the new duration because you changed power. A button press and dial away.

BTW I am sorry about such a Long Drawn out Crappy video. I am a horrific editor, and was late late at night just after my second Monster Energy drink and will fix it as soon as I have time.

On a side note, I got a chance to work with my friends at the Westcott booth, and I played with the new ICE lights. You can see my big behind holding them for this video interview (external link). They are really cool. and I have a set on the way. OOOPS did I just say a set of Ice lights one the way? Ones that arent available yet. Hmmm, It's great to have friends in the photography world!

I will make another long winded video about them in the near future, Oh in the video they did not mention a few things, they have a groove at the top and the bottom that hold gels. They are so cool!

Again sorry about the crappy video on my blog, I guess it's time to get serious about the content I out up. No more 1/2 crap I promise!

http://www.speedtest.n​et/result/1460485335.p​ng (external link)

akfreak
Goldmember
1,087 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 24, 2012 03:23 |  #13

klr.b wrote in post #13946985 (external link)
It's been done for a while now. Search for "high speed sync hack" or "tail sync hack" and you'll find some good info on it. BTW, that blogger is a member here under the name "akfreak"

I guess it depends on what you need HSS for in the first place. If it's just to shoot at wide apertures, it's easier just to put a ND filter on and shoot at regular sync speeds. The hack relies on a long flash duration and not everyone's equipment will work.

Yes,it is I ---> Akfreak Here! I have yet to find a flash that will band my sensor using this technique.So buckle up for more long winder ramblings! I have tried it with mine or other people I know. Sadly 99% of the gear listed below is mine but some of it is now sold.

Novatron 440hdx V600-D (sold theV600) with 2000, 2000c. 2100-c,2110c,and 2140c heads, Brownline pack D1204 (sold the D1200), Blackline packs 405, 805, 1201a, 2405CX also my monster 4803CX 4800ws on my 206VF and the quad bulb 105 head. I tried the optical hack on a Force 5 and Force 10 moonlight. Also 2 Hensel Integra Pro Plus 500WS mono heads. Lastly an older AB 400WS mono block head.

I have also tried it with all my speedlights so here goes, SB22, SB-24,SB-28, SB-80DX,SB-600, (a Borrowed SB-800&900) Vivitar 283's, 285,2500,3500, Sun. 120J, Q flash, Pentax AF280T, Honeywell Auto Strobonar 332, Minolta,Auto 32, Canon 220EX. 430EZ,EX, and EXII, A 580EX and EXII,Canon 166A, Quantaray QTB-7500A,Achiever 115m, Nissin 30T-Digital, Olymous FL36, FL36r, FL50 and the old T20 and Promatic TBL

I never got banding with any of them, The fall off of is so fast, the lack of usable light causes a very bad vignetting but never banding. A side note, I was able to do this with my Olympus E-3 with no optical slave.

This woks with any radio trigger, PocketWizard is not needed. You just need a flash that will put your body in HSS mode and a way to use that flash to trigger a radio trigger (via the optical slave) **the correct optical slave).

My latest trick is to put the 430exII on a long ttl cord (a OCF33" ttl cable) in another room, and fire the packs from there. My camera doesn't look so much like an abortion during a shoot in a studio, it looks like just another tether cable to the unknowing.

NormanRC51
451 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 24, 2012 21:16 |  #14

@akfreak where did you get the suction cup you used to hold the optical slave?

Thanks

Canon 7D - Gripped 40D - Canon 50 1.8 MK1 - Tamron 18-270 - Tamron 1.4x TC - Sigma 18-50 2.8 - Sigma 70-200 2.8 - Pair of AlienBee B1600s - 580EX - 3-540ez - RF-602
My FlickR (external link)

akfreak
Goldmember
1,087 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 25, 2012 00:39 |  #15

I asked Sonia for them when I ordered, they aren't a stock part. They found them for me when I told them what I was trying to do.

sponsored links

3,701 views & 0 likes for this thread
HSS for $15?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.