Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 21 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 14:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Couple of Hard Drive Speed Questions

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 21, 2012 14:51 |  #1

I was wondering how much of a bottleneck is there when using a 5400rpm speed HD vs a 7200rpm?
Would I benefit from editing with from an external HD thats 7200 or SSD?

My MacBook Pro has a 750GB 5400rpm and I am wondering if I will see a significant difference if I was to upgrade to a faster HD or use an external HD with a fast spindle speed.

Thanks

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 21, 2012 15:21 |  #2

You would def swapping that 5400 RPM for an SSD thats for sure. However if youre serious about doing more serious video work on a laptop you need something like this: LINK (external link) So you can have a true scratch disk. Then have an SSD too.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 22, 2012 14:02 |  #3

ben_r_ wrote in post #13938040 (external link)
You would def swapping that 5400 RPM for an SSD thats for sure. However if youre serious about doing more serious video work on a laptop you need something like this: LINK (external link) So you can have a true scratch disk. Then have an SSD too.

Thanks for that link. That looks like something I might have to seriously consider.
I am guessing users of these use an external burner for CDs.

To answer the other question, would I see any difference in performance using an external thats 7200 or SSD or will there be a bottle neck using thunderbolt or USB?

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 23, 2012 18:34 |  #4

ChadAndreo wrote in post #13944771 (external link)
Thanks for that link. That looks like something I might have to seriously consider.
I am guessing users of these use an external burner for CDs.

To answer the other question, would I see any difference in performance using an external thats 7200 or SSD or will there be a bottle neck using thunderbolt or USB?

Yea, a good external USB optical drive shouldnt cost you more than $50 and they are easy to find. I have an ASUS and Samsung external DVD Burner and they both have been wonderful.

USB, def a bottle neck unless its USB 3 which apple doesnt support yet. Thunderbolt, probably not, thats pretty darn fast, but youll pay for the newness of technology.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

viper522
133 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 23, 2012 20:52 |  #5

USB 2.0 on your Mac will push about 25MB/s. A modern SSD is capable of over 500MB/s. That should give you some perspective.

A 7200rpm internal drive will improve latency and throughput over a 5400rpm drive, but it will also use more battery if that's a concern. You're looking at about $130 to upgrade. Plus you'll have to either reinstall everything from scratch, or pay someone to clone the disk for you if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Search:
Seagate Momentus 750GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 16 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Internal Notebook Hard Drive

MarKap77
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 24, 2012 06:30 |  #6

I run a MacBookPro6,2. Purchased December 2010. 2.8 GHz dual core i7 processor (got it about 3 weeks before the quad cores came out). Configured it with 500 GB 7200 rpm disk, largest available at the time.

Rendering video is probably the most strenuous thing I do as far as this machine goes. Final Cut Pro 7. I recently did the MacSales swap out for a second internal drive in place of the optical disk. 1TB 5400 rpm for the second drive. My rendering times have been greatly reduced, but I still wait for a long time. I also have a 1TB iomega external hard disk connected via FireWire 800. It seems that the second disk is what improves the rendering times the most, whether it is the internal or external. Cheapest solution is the external, then you don't need an external optical drive and you don't void the warranty if it is still under warranty.

Mark
My Gear List

"I don't travel to get to work, travel IS my work!

sponsored links

1,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Couple of Hard Drive Speed Questions
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.