Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Feb 2012 (Wednesday) 16:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Don't buy Stroboframe Bracket from Amazon (fulfilled by Adorama)

sprials
40 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 22, 2012 16:50 |  #1

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com …cket-Mount/dp/B00009UTL1/ (external link) thinking it was a stroboframe cold shoebecause it had good reviews all around the web.

Upon receiving i found that the plastic tightening knob has obvious cracks in it from the start, and there are some other differences...

It appears to be a combination of shady practices by Adorama, and Amazon's "buying choices" algorithm. Adorama is at fault for using confusing part numbers (see below links) to sell more of their in-house branded items. Amazon "buying choices" algorithm gets confused and on Amazon it does not specify which item you are buying on Adorama.

The third-party product: http://www.adorama.com​/SB300SHO.html (external link)
The real product: http://www.adorama.com​/SB300SHOE.html (external link)

Gear: 5D2 + 17-40mm F/4L + Sigma 50mm F/1.4 + 70-200 F/4L IS
Gitzo 1541T + Markins Q3T

sponsored links
Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 22, 2012 20:04 |  #2

The part number ends SHO on Amazon, and the knockoff is clearly SB300SHO on Adorama's website.

The price is the tipoff. Did you think Adorama would sell something for almost half off just because it's on Amazon? Two different parts, similar looks and names. Up to the buyer to verify it's what they really want.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

sprials
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 23, 2012 03:14 |  #3

No it's not that simple, the part number on amazon is Tiffen 300-SHO, which matches the manufacturer part number AND manufacturer name. Adorama has changed the part number in their listing, which is the cause of the issue. The price isn't a tip-off either, because Amazon sells the same thing (correct brand) for 10-20 cents more. On B&H it also sells for 10-20 cents more.

I contacted Adorama and resolved the issue by getting a refund. =)

Gear: 5D2 + 17-40mm F/4L + Sigma 50mm F/1.4 + 70-200 F/4L IS
Gitzo 1541T + Markins Q3T

kethnguy
196 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 23, 2012 03:22 |  #4

sprials wrote in post #13949253 (external link)
I contacted Adorama and resolved the issue by getting a refund. =)

shouldve just done that to begin with. adorama is a big company and they wouldn't need to go to lengths such as what you implied to try and cheat customers

Canon 50D Gripped || 24-105 F4 L || 430EX II

HelenOster
That's me!
4,495 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 23, 2012 10:52 |  #5

Looks to me like Amazon have, yet again, messed up with the link to the Adorama website.

If you ever experience a problem of any kind with an order from Adorama, you only need drop me an email: Helen@adorama.com (external link)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 23, 2012 16:37 |  #6

HelenOster wrote in post #13951219 (external link)
Looks to me like Amazon have, yet again, messed up with the link to the Adorama website.

How does that work..?

I have seen a few products on Amazon with similar complaints about people getting Adorama parts instead of OEM they purchased when Adorama is the seller. Let it be known if you would like a heads up about this when and if someone else might see it happening. I can say myself i've avoided purchasing this same part and others from Adorama for the very same reason. I don't think Adorama is that under handed but then again with this particular part it seems to have been happening for a while.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,495 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 23, 2012 16:50 |  #7

isoMorphic wrote in post #13953738 (external link)
How does that work..?

I have seen a few products on Amazon with similar complaints about people getting Adorama parts instead of OEM they purchased when Adorama is the seller. Let it be known if you would like a heads up about this when and if someone else might see it happening. I can say myself i've avoided purchasing this same part and others from Adorama for the very same reason. I don't think Adorama is that under handed but then again with this particular part it seems to have been happening for a while.

It happens when Amazon administrators link products incorrectly when they input them to their system. All we can do is report it, yet again, and ask them to be more careful - and if customers want to be certain they are getting the correct item, they need to order directly from the Adorama website.

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 24, 2012 09:54 |  #8

How is this an Amazon problem when the item is shipped directly from Adorama? If the item was listed as "fulfilled by Amazon" I can see the opportunity for a possible mix up by Amazon. But Adorama should have full control of the listing and what product ultimately is shipped.

I only pipe in here because a similar thing happened to me on a tilt bracket. Like many of the reviewers on Amazon, the item was cheap enough to not warrant the hassle of an online return so I just moved on. When looking at purchasing an Elinchrom lighiting kit I ended up purchasing from another vendor simply because of too many reviewer complaints about receiving generic light stands (or no stands) instead of the Manfrotto stands typical to Elinchrom kits.

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 25, 2012 15:02 |  #9

This is the reason I no longer spend my money with Adorama. After this happened more than once I contacted an Adorama manager and asked why this happens so much. He said it's Amazons fault and it makes Adorama too much money to change their relationsuhip.

Good enough. I don't blame a company for trying to make a profit, but my money doesn't have to be involved.

-F

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 25, 2012 16:24 |  #10

Why buy something from Adorama through Amazon? Why not order it directly? Adorama isn't the only seller that has had problems with this kind of issue. This is why I don't buy anything from Amazon unless it is directly sold by Amazon.

Flickr (external link)

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 25, 2012 17:28 |  #11

K6AZ wrote in post #13966006 (external link)
Why buy something from Adorama through Amazon?

Amazon gift cards are almost an alternate currency (birthdays, payments on various web sites, etc.). Why take the hit on plastic jungle to get them converted to cash if you can just order what you want through amazon anyway?

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 25, 2012 17:39 |  #12

Then I would buy something Amazon directly stocked. Amazon has a history of screwups with third party sellers, Adorama isn't the only one.

Flickr (external link)

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 25, 2012 17:45 |  #13

K6AZ wrote in post #13966006 (external link)
Why buy something from Adorama through Amazon? Why not order it directly?

Prime membership for one..

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 25, 2012 17:53 |  #14

I guess my repeated explanations that their third party system is flawed is being missed. I don't want to turn this into another debate on Amazon prime but a simple Google search will turn up numerous sellers Amazon has a problem with doing third party.

Flickr (external link)

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 25, 2012 20:55 |  #15

Amazon for books, Adorama for gear. Never had a problem with either.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,443 views & 0 likes for this thread
Don't buy Stroboframe Bracket from Amazon (fulfilled by Adorama)
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.