Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Feb 2012 (Friday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you respond to "Why Canon over Nikon?"

MrWho
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 24, 2012 14:27 |  #16

The way it was explained to me when I was still looking was that Canon was good where speed was a concern and Nikon was good for things like portraits, macro, and landscapes (something to that effect, I can't remember 100% at this point). I bought mine because I've had a couple of other Canon products purchased years ago and I liked them, but in reality, it was a 50/50. In this day and age, it's probably more appropriate to break up cameras by class instead of brand. Someone shooting motorsports primarily won't be happy with a Rebel and 18-55 for example.*

* - Now that I've said that, someone is going to come along and prove me wrong :lol:

Gear

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 24, 2012 14:52 |  #17

I don't, I've never been asked that question.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 24, 2012 15:16 |  #18

Scatterbrained wrote in post #13960017 (external link)
:confused: I'm not sure where you're coming from. I responded to someone who said that he tells people he went with Canon because he had Canon lenses, which would imply he had the lenses first and then bought a camera. Nobody is turning this into a vs. thread, the response just didn't make much sense to me.
Why you choose to stay with a brand is different to me than why you make the initial choice, which is what I figured the OP was asking. :rolleyes:

Well, I'd say that the original post was a bit broader than addressing the question of "why did you decide to choose Canon instead of Nikon for your very first DSLR/digicam?"...but anyway it doesn't matter much to me! Yes, I'm one of those loaded with Canon gear and is not prepared to "jump ship" or even to upgrade to the latest Canon camera or lens, but it doesn't matter a whit to me that some are:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 24, 2012 15:25 |  #19

rick_reno wrote in post #13960182 (external link)

As a matter of fact, I don't think I have either! Ive shot alongside of Nikon photogs, but I don't remeber someone approaching me with that specific type of question...

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,722 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 24, 2012 15:40 |  #20

rick_reno wrote in post #13960182 (external link)

Actually, I have been asked that question and, interestingly, mostly by nonphotographers who are looking to purchase their first digital SLR. The question essentially pops up on here each time when someone asks about what camera to buy Nikon dxxx or Canon xxxd.

Some non-enthusiasts eventually want better photos than what they've been getting out of camera phones or digital cameras. Up until that point, they usually choose a camera based on form factor and coolness appeal. When they get to the point in jumping to a DSLR, they know that the two main players are Nikon and Canon. Logically, they turn to whoever owns a DSLR and ask which one is better.

The thread is more about how you respond to that type of person, rather than how you respond to another photographer and explaining academically why you chose one brand over another.

It's interesting to note see that people stayed with Canon or Nikon because they trusted the brand based on other cameras they've owned. I owned a Sony digicam and a Nikon SLR. I put the past behind me when looking for my first digital SLR and went almost entirely on ergonomic feel. I think I did price and paper feature comparisons using dpreview.com and felt Canon was a better value at the time. I had no idea what pixel peeping or digital noise were.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 24, 2012 15:44 |  #21

I just say that it's what I'm used to - I started out with a Canon P&S, and got used to the format. Other than that, (other than loyalty after a few years, not to mention a few lenses and flashes) I wouldn't have a preference.

I have been asked before! After jokingly telling them that Canon is by far the best ("jokingly") then I'll tell them the above ;)

Canon 5D Mark II | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 I | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Feb 24, 2012 15:51 |  #22

If the question comes from a non-photographer, my first suggestion doesn't contain any brand. I tell them to go to a real camera shop and get some hands on time with all the major brands. If you don't like the way a camera feels or operates, it doesn't make much sense to drop a small fortune on it. All the major brands are capable of producing stellar images, choose the one that suits your tastes....regardless of the name on the box.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 24, 2012 16:15 |  #23

Woolburr wrote in post #13960579 (external link)
If the question comes from a non-photographer, my first suggestion doesn't contain any brand. I tell them to go to a real camera shop and get some hands on time with all the major brands. If you don't like the way a camera feels or operates, it doesn't make much sense to drop a small fortune on it. All the major brands are capable of producing stellar images, choose the one that suits your tastes....regardless of the name on the box.

Good one, Dan!

Tony

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 24, 2012 16:16 |  #24

My only reason for even mentioning a brand is just because that's what I've been shooting with, and would never presume to make a blanket endorsement of one brand over another!

Tony

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,449 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 24, 2012 16:55 |  #25

When challenged about my choice of Canon, I simply reply that the Canon online discussion forum is so much better than the Nikon equivalent!

POTN beats out the Nikon Cafe by a long shot!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 24, 2012 16:55 |  #26

Rebel T2i + 18-55 IS + 55-250. A very hard to beat combination of value and photographic performance at the entry level. That's why.

Well, that and Ashton Kutcher... ;)

Tom

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Feb 24, 2012 17:06 |  #27

tonylong wrote in post #13960734 (external link)
Good one, Dan!

If someone specifically asks me why I shoot Canon, it is simply because it was the system that worked well for me, I liked the feel of the body, the operation of the controls (both on the body and the lenses) and the equipment was more than capable of producing excellent quality images (as long as I did my part correctly).

If I was starting from square one, I might very well find myself shooting Sony. I love the feel of their bodies....they nailed the ergonomics....at least for me. They might not be quite at the same level as Canon and Noink....but they continue to close the gap.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,597 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 24, 2012 17:45 |  #28

Why did I choose Canon, simple really. The shop did not have the Nikon d70s I'd gone for in stock (which they told me the did over the phone) so I bought a Canon 30D instead. I would have no regrets if I'd ended up being a Nikon shooter now (in fact not sure if the D3s is better than my current 1D IV)

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,043 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 24, 2012 17:59 |  #29

....because C comes before N in the alphabet.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 24, 2012 18:01 |  #30

I get asked this a lot and my response is that my first SLR was a Canon and I stayed with the brand, BUT as long as Canon and Nikon both exist,and try to out perform each other, we all win.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

6,597 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you respond to "Why Canon over Nikon?"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.