Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
locky
Goldmember
2,663 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 24, 2012 04:39 |  #6271
bannedPermanent ban

mdvaden, I just want to throw my 2 cents in real quick. I have to agree with the majority on the cheesy look. I am not saying that some graphics would be a bad idea for Senior pictures but these just look way to out of it. I would search for a different graphic designer. This guys work is pretty bad.

I just got my first pair of glasses that I didn't think I needed. I apologize to anybody in the past year that I said their pictures were out of focus lol.

sponsored links
KCMO ­ Reefer
301 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 24, 2012 08:48 |  #6272

locky wrote in post #13957281 (external link)
. I would search for a different graphic designer. This guys work is pretty bad.

I agree.

Canon 5D MKII gripped | 70-200mm f/2.8 L | 50mm f/1.4 | 580 EXII | AB 800's

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 24, 2012 09:40 as a reply to  @ KCMO Reefer's post |  #6273

I feel it is the difference of being seen as a great photographer or a great photoshop artist. I don't think you can pull off both. In the eyes of the public, they will either perceive you as one or the other. I have made edits similar and although I am not great as a photoshop artist (or photographer :rolleyes:) the kids loved the edits....but that was brief. They move along. The parents....they didn't even mention the edits, so you know what that means.

To me, and this is just my opinion and no one asked for it..... which one (a well orchestrated portrait or an edit such as the ones posted) will hang on a wall for generations?

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 24, 2012 10:42 |  #6274

cbknight wrote in post #13958283 (external link)
To me, and this is just my opinion and no one asked for it..... which one (a well orchestrated portrait or an edit such as the ones posted) will hang on a wall for generations?

Likely just the photograph. (referring to the "hang" part)

The photo will preserve the memory of what happened.

Which one will etch a like of the photographer in the subject's mind initially? Probably the entire photo collection plus a graphic. First impressions matter.

As far as the quality of graphic work, that I can still explore. This was phase one. Keep in mind, I posted here on POTN and no photographer gave a recommendation. Likewise at another forum. No photographer gave a referral of a retoucher / graphic art person they liked. So it's not as if I didn't ask. That would leave trial and error.

Consider the past few replies in this topic commenting on quality of the graphic work - none have offered a better name.

Also, my idea is not doing several graphic edits per youth. Just possibly one. So they could get anywhere from a dozen (on upwards) standard photographs. But at most, one graphic change, if any. So from the shoot, they would lose not one image.

:cool:

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 24, 2012 11:19 |  #6275

mdvaden wrote in post #13958624 (external link)
First impressions matter.

Consider the past few replies in this topic commenting on quality of the graphic work - none have offered a better name.

Also, my idea is not doing several graphic edits per youth. Just possibly one. So they could get anywhere from a dozen (on upwards) standard photographs. But at most, one graphic change, if any. So from the shoot, they would lose not one image.

First impressions do matter, but they aren't everything. Relationships are everything. I have no doubts that you can pull this off. I don't believe anyone here doubts that. Finding the right artist that meshes up with your style will go a long way. I don't believe anyone here has withheld the name of their graphic artist from you for any reason, I just figure most of us don't have a name for one since we don't/haven't used one.

I would suggest asking in the Services Offered Forum https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=105
or trying Model Mayhem because there are a lot of retouchers/graphic artists that would more than likely work on an image for you to show their skills. You could put a casting call out and see if you get any response. I would think that some would reply looking for regular work with a working photographer.

Hope this helps

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 24, 2012 11:23 |  #6276

cbknight wrote in post #13958837 (external link)
First impressions do matter, but they aren't everything. Relationships are everything. I have no doubts that you can pull this off. I don't believe anyone here doubts that. Finding the right artist that meshes up with your style will go a long way. I don't believe anyone here has withheld the name of their graphic artist from you for any reason, I just figure most of us don't have a name for one since we don't/haven't used one.

I would suggest asking in the Services Offered Forum https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=105
or trying Model Mayhem because there are a lot of retouchers/graphic artists that would more than likely work on an image for you to show their skills. You could put a casting call out and see if you get any response. I would think that some would reply looking for regular work with a working photographer.

Hope this helps

The casting call is an interesting angle.

I've done that there for models, just never considered it for something like a retoucher / graphics person.

Thanks for the idea.

+++++++++++++

Thought it was worth adding ...

This subject reminds me of 3 posters where my mother got her eye exam. A large well established eye clinic. Nicely decorated. I was looking at one poster, at the details. It was not graphics, but if anything would have involved retouch work. Anyway, little bits of makeup could be seen near the male model's beard ... stuff I could have, or would have fixed.

So the graphics detail for the martial arts one I posted is at least that good enlarged.

Of the two I posted, the gal and car would be the one where I could hope for some fine-tuning, like where she is seated. Maybe more shadow. But if I tried that again, I'd probably studio shoot a model sitting on a chair or something against a background. And spare sending a mossy bounder shot where the moss breaks the outlines. Seems it would cut down a lot on editing time.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 24, 2012 23:07 |  #6277

mdvaden wrote in post #13956987 (external link)
As far as what you think you might lose, how would you know? If you have not posted those kinds of graphics, it seems like you would have no way to ascertain other than speculation. Have you ever posted or included examples very close to that kind of editing before, in a portfolio for people to see? Or have you shown other photographers graphics to potential customers and heard them gag in exclamation?

First off, the other person was right, the reason I have no name to offer is because I do not know of anyone, because I have never used anyone.
And yes I have had people come to me to book a session, and they look at me and say, "Please tell me you don't do stuff like this." Then they pull out their cell phone and show me a friend's facebook profile picture that was done similar to the edits you posted.
I have not posted anything remotely close to the image of the girl and the car. As far as the martial artist, I myself have done something similar, but much better quality in years past, and I found out, that is not my style nor what my clients want. Like I said, clients are different in different areas, but my normal clients would be appalled to see their images done like those edits. I make composites/collages from multiple images from the client, that they love, just not the cheesy looking edits. I would be happy to post a couple of the collages that I am talking about sometime if you would like to see.
I too hope you find a graphic artist that will compliment your photography, and not cheapen it! I wish the best for you.

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

DinosaurioAllie
525 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 25, 2012 00:21 |  #6278

Not going to lie, I'm 15 and I think I could do better of a photo manipulation than that. :confused:

But, if it works for you it works for you. Go for it champ. ;)

Canon 7D | Canon 100mm f/2.8 | Canon 40mm f/2.8 | Mamiya RB67 | Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.8 | http://www.flickr.com/​mosbeckphotography (external link)
"There's a common misconception that all photographers want to photograph famous people, to be a paparazzi. To me that's like selling my soul. My photographs give thanks to people who have helped me out. Thats not selling my soul, that's gaining it." -Bob Campagna

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 25, 2012 08:25 |  #6279

I think y'all are making too big of a deal out of this. If the images were posted by Phamster or another top senior photographer here that we all look up to, I GUARANTEE this would have blown over in seconds. They dang sure wouldn't have gotten the "go for it champ" comment. Sure, we all might have said, that's a poor edit, but If the first person that saw it was Phamsters post would have said AWESOME!!! then the rest would have followed.....those that disagreed more than likely wouldn't have said anything, or just mentioned the edit. If mdvaden wants to do one edit per customer, none of the rest of us know for sure if it is a good or bad idea.

Somebody post some pictures.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 25, 2012 08:45 |  #6280

mdvaden,

When i was younger, i spent all my free time in a kung fu school... i would have KILLED (not literally :) ) for a photo like the Karate guy... though I would have asked if i could see more examples of what i want the graphics to look like. You've got a good idea here. I think, it might best fit by having the edited ones fit a related scheme to whatever the subjects has a passion for.
EG: if the first one (gal on car) had a passion for 50's cars, cha-ching $$$$!!

I recently completed a High School basketball team photoshoot. Each had just a basic pose, and one I "worked it up a little". Next thing you know, i'm getting emails, "can you put me on an NBA court with so and so..." another was, "can you [Use a strong radial blur] and make me look like i'm rushing past (another team mate)..." Sad to say, my photoshop skills are too basic to do what those guys were asking for, so I just sold them the rights to the file and told them to take it to someone who could.
I do understand our fellow poster's comments about the quality (of course some just cant see the value in at all), but despite that, you're a businessman... go make some money! Anyone mentioning the idea is not worth it (though i didnt see anyone go that far), i'd let experience differ with lack of experience, and just do your thing.

I like to see more of them eventually - just mention what the passion of the subject was. Hats off for the idea!

Gear: The Official Gear List / Market Feedback / Sig thread #2468
flickr (external link)
WinburnCreations (external link)

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 25, 2012 13:21 |  #6281

Ty Senior ~ Brick Wall Set up

Seems the set up shots are popular..

here i have Ty son of a close Co Worker of mine..

we have him next to a Brick Wall Denny backdrop.

lighting was 2 lights

1 boomed softlighter camera left @ about 1/2 power
1 Creative light strip light with a grid camera right @ about 1/2 power

CameraCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Exposure0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperturef/5.6
Focal Length85 mm
ISO Speed100
Exposure Bias 0 EV

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7063/6928364093_609b78ac6f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/-phamster-/6928364093/  (external link)

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 25, 2012 13:34 |  #6282

cbknight wrote in post #13963850 (external link)
I think y'all are making too big of a deal out of this. If the images were posted by Phamster or another top senior photographer here that we all look up to, I GUARANTEE this would have blown over in seconds. They dang sure wouldn't have gotten the "go for it champ" comment. Sure, we all might have said, that's a poor edit, but If the first person that saw it was Phamsters post would have said AWESOME!!! then the rest would have followed.....those that disagreed more than likely wouldn't have said anything, or just mentioned the edit. If mdvaden wants to do one edit per customer, none of the rest of us know for sure if it is a good or bad idea.

Somebody post some pictures.

humm not so sure about that.. i got my chops busted in the multi lighted threads recently, had lots of negative response on a heavily photoshopped image... even i am not exempted from critique..

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 25, 2012 14:12 |  #6283

Is it just me or does that chair make him look extremely...small?
I might just be crazy ~.~

phamster wrote in post #13965268 (external link)
humm not so sure about that.. i got my chops busted in the multi lighted threads recently, had lots of negative response on a heavily photoshopped image... even i am not exempted from critique..

haha, I held my tongue from mentioning that :P

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,684 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 25, 2012 14:40 |  #6284

Pham, your images make me jealous but your ceiling height makes me drool. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,174 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 25, 2012 14:46 |  #6285

phamster wrote in post #13965194 (external link)
Ty Senior ~ Brick Wall Set up

Seems the set up shots are popular..

here i have Ty son of a close Co Worker of mine..

we have him next to a Brick Wall Denny backdrop.

lighting was 2 lights

1 boomed softlighter camera left @ about 1/2 power
1 Creative light strip light with a grid camera right @ about 1/2 power

CameraCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Exposure0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperturef/5.6
Focal Length85 mm
ISO Speed100
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Very nice even lighting Pham. Did you use a light meter?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links

2,681,311 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.