Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 24, 2012 18:24 |  #31

lannes wrote in post #13956340 (external link)
I love my Gh2 as a walkabout, travel and social occasion snapper, I can carry a range of lenses and a body that gives me a 14-600mm focal length, which only takes up as much room as the 5dm2 and a 24-105L.
Performance wise in raw is really good for a small sensor, only pixel peeping would you start seeing the limitations of the sensor size.
So it is a viable alternative to an aps-c system, but I still use the ff if high IQ is required at high ISO (eg.6400 and above)

Focus in low light is a bit of an issue, as the contrast detection AF is not as good in low levels resulting in a lot of hunting. But focus in normal light is as fast as the phase detection systems and full AF in video is a bonus.

I also enjoy using different lenses on the GH2, like a FD 300mm f/2.8, 500mm f/8 CAT lens etc., all you need is an adaptor.

Beware though it can be quite an investment getting in M4/3, as lenses are almost the same price as their aps-c and ff counterparts

With good technique you can get good results with m4/3

this was through glass
QUOTED IMAGE

this was using the kit lens and cropped a bit
QUOTED IMAGE

GH2 is a nice camera
i saw many great photos for it on filckr

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

sponsored links
mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 24, 2012 20:15 |  #32

moltengold wrote in post #13961382 (external link)
GH2 is a nice camera
i saw many great photos for it on filckr

And it's an amazing video camera as well. If I was forced to go micro 4/3, it would be the camera I would get.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 24, 2012 20:41 |  #33

mafoo wrote in post #13961840 (external link)
And it's an amazing video camera as well. If I was forced to go micro 4/3, it would be the camera I would get.

I really like the retro styling and capabilites of the EM-5, but one thing is apparent, Micro 4/3 cameras are making a dent in the market.

Jim

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 24, 2012 21:59 |  #34

I think m4/3 has better marketing in japan, surprising how much inroads they have made in the traditional dslr market, that's why nikon jumped on board with a smaller format.

http://www.43rumors.co​m …catch-up-with-nikoncanon/ (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 24, 2012 22:05 |  #35

I personally, think the format is going to die off.

The only real advantage, is body size. Sony with the NEX 7 has proven you can get a APS-C sensor in a 4/3 size body. This I think is the future.

Right now, the camera is price prohibitive, but that will change. When the NEX 7 is $400-$500, why would you buy anything else?

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 24, 2012 22:10 |  #36

I look at it as another tool. For me, its often cumbersome to carry my big camera, so the GF1 is just right. Not too small, and great manual controls. For me I really like it with primes and the image quality is usually more than good enough. I usually don't take it over 800 ISO but with the f1.7 and in camera processing, I think it's great. It really is my favorite camera. I don't think I would do contract work with it but for everything else it is sufficient

IMAGE: http://i44.tinypic.com/34remiq.jpg

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 24, 2012 22:28 |  #37

mafoo wrote in post #13962257 (external link)
I personally, think the format is going to die off.

The only real advantage, is body size. Sony with the NEX 7 has proven you can get a APS-C sensor in a 4/3 size body. This I think is the future.

Right now, the camera is price prohibitive, but that will change. When the NEX 7 is $400-$500, why would you buy anything else?

Gosh, I hope Micro 4/3 does not die off, but Sony has some quality products. Will they drop the price as suggested? This is not like Sony. Sony also has to be careful not to be too proprietary.

Jim

dino8031
THREAD ­ STARTER
849 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 24, 2012 22:41 as a reply to  @ jemanner's post |  #38

So... It's looks like I'm about to acquire another expensive camera system sometime in April.

$1000 for the body, another $2-3000 for lenses. Sounds familiar.

At least I already have SD cards. :wink:

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 24, 2012 22:50 |  #39

dino8031 wrote in post #13962406 (external link)
So... It's looks like I'm about to acquire another expensive camera system sometime in April.

$1000 for the body, another $2-3000 for lenses. Sounds familiar.

At least I already have SD cards. :wink:

My philosophy, especially at age 70, you can't take it with you. Hope my survivors enjoy all the old cameras stuffed away in the basement.... Meanwhile, I LOVE technology, and the photographic industry has been revolutionized in the last few years.

Jim

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,401 posts
Gallery: 582 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 24, 2012 22:54 |  #40

jemanner wrote in post #13962445 (external link)
My philosophy, especially at age 70, you can't take it with you. Hope my survivors enjoy all the old cameras stuffed away in the basement.... Meanwhile, I LOVE technology, and the photographic industry has been revolutionized in the last few years.

Pretty much, You got it, spend it, You aint taking it with you to the grave might as well spend it on things you can enjoy now...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 24, 2012 23:18 |  #41

jemanner wrote in post #13962355 (external link)
Gosh, I hope Micro 4/3 does not die off, but Sony has some quality products. Will they drop the price as suggested? This is not like Sony. Sony also has to be careful not to be too proprietary.

Well, The world of cameras, proprietary is the name of the game. I can not think a more proprietary industry.

If you want to move from Canon, to Nikon, or Sony for example, about all you can keep is the memory cards. Everything else is proprietary. Lenses, flashes, remotes, grips, you name it.

What Sony has done, that I wish the other players would do, is introduce a small body camera, that can accept there full body lenses. Sony does this, with an adapter that maintains all the lenses controls (however autofocus speed suffers).

Wouldn't it be nice to have something in the Canon G line that had an APS-C sensor, interchangeable lenses, and with an adapter could take all the EF lenses?

There is no reason why Micro 4/3 can't stick around, and for those companies that have no vested interest in adapting to pro line equipment (Samsung, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus, etc), standardizing on a cross manufacturer lens system is awesome. However, I would love to see Nikon and Canon, follow Sony, and release an APS-C small body camera.

-Jeremy

Significa
260 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 24, 2012 23:24 |  #42

I tried out m43 for a while but it just wasn't for me. Yes, it does produce some very nice pictures but it still doesn't compare to dSLR. I found myself lunging for my DSLR when I needed better pictures. For mobility, I woulda brought a small camera such as the s95 which similar images to m43 in my experience (especially if you shoot RAW).

Canon 60D | Canon 15-85 IS USM | Sigma 30mm 1.4 HSM | Canon 135mm F2L | Canon 70-200mm F4L IS | Canon 430EX II | Panasonic GF3 | Pansonic 20mm 1.7 | Panasonic 14-42mm OIS
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/significafire/ (external link)

Bruce ­ Foreman
279 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Feb 24, 2012 23:31 as a reply to  @ KenjiS's post |  #43

I noticed an amazon vendor listed the Olympus Pen e-PL1 at $290 with 14-42mm "kit" lens. I'd been kind of looking for something more compact to "cart" around. That price was low enough for me to "try" an M4/3 camera.

Shutter lag is a bit more than my Canon's, at 73 eyesight forced me to order the EVF for it, and I ordered two of the "pancake" lenses. The 14mm f2.5 and the 20mm f1.7. So when I'm not on a project that I need the 7D or 60D and good Canon glass for, the little Pen is super easy to carry with a couple lenses in a small bag.

Am I happy with it?

Yeah. My one, "Gee, I wish it had..." is 1920x1080 full HD video. It has 1280x720 and that's not bad. But the Canon's video implementation has me spoiled. The Pen E-P3, PL3, and Mini have it, but if I have serious video to do I reach for the 60D (and a ton of other stuff!).

The "kit" lens is like the Canon 18-55 that comes with the Rebels, not bad. Actually pretty good in the hands of one who knows what he's doing. But the two Lumix "pancakes" are absolutely amazing for their size. And now I'm finding myself looking hard at the sample pix and claimed specs on the OMD E-M5.

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 24, 2012 23:41 |  #44

mafoo wrote in post #13962578 (external link)
Well, The world of cameras, proprietary is the name of the game. I can not think a more proprietary industry.

If you want to move from Canon, to Nikon, or Sony for example, about all you can keep is the memory cards. Everything else is proprietary. Lenses, flashes, remotes, grips, you name it.

Had not given it much thought, but you are absolutely correct.

Jim

tempest68
980 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 24, 2012 23:46 |  #45

dino8031 wrote in post #13954926 (external link)
I love my 60D rig, Sigma 30, 50, 17-50, Canon 70-200, 24-105, etc., but I'm tired of hauling it all around, or even just the body and one or two lenses. A compact mirrorless system is looking very tempting.

I've hated every point and shoot I've ever owned, mostly because of shutter lag and terrible low light performance, but I'm thinking of going to a micro 4/3 format, maybe an Oly EP3 or the upcoming EM-5.

Whatever it is, it needs to have quick, accurate auto-focus, really good low light performance, a decent burst rate, and pretty much the performance of a good DSLR to work for me, just in a smaller size. I've tried all flavor of Rebels and haven't been particularly happy with them.

My question is, has anyone made the switch to a 4/3 system and been happy with it? My apologies if this has been discussed before.

Then don't! Just haul some of it around. As someone that is not a paid Pro, I rarely take the full kit anywhere. The full kit will go with me on vacation, but I then pick one or two lenses for the day and lock up everything else. I've taken just the 85mm when going to the amusement park with the kids, and found it worked great and really didn't miss having something shorter with me. If I wanted a 2nd prime on the wider end, the 28mm would compliment it nicely.

And when you're out, how are you carrying the camera around with you? What strap or bag you're using can make a big difference too. I tried several straps before settling on the Black Rapid RS-4. I like it, and I think the RS-7 would be pretty good too. If you prefer a bag, I'd probably go for either a sling style backpack or messenger bag.

I don't know how good the Pentax DSLRs are vs. what Canon offers, but they have several pancake style primes with AF. I've briefly considered switching brands just for that reason alone. I love my Voigtlander 40mm and am considering picking up the 20mm. But they are MF lenses. If you want physically small primes with AF on a DSLR, Pentax is the way to go. Their 21mm f/3.2, 40mm f/2.8, and 70mm f/2.4 would make a nice three lens kit that takes up less space than your traditional kit zoom lens. Granted they're not as fast as other primes, but that's the trade-off for their compact size.

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

sponsored links

89,964 views & 2 likes for this thread
DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.