Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 11:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and 5d Mark II?

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 26, 2012 11:47 |  #1

I have really been wanting this lens for sometime now and read reviews and forums and everything else. The whole focus issue is what stops me. I do not want to pay $500 for a lens that I have to send off to have work correctly, so that is a big factor.

What I just read yesterday in a review about this lens, however, only adds to the confusion and doubt -

I read that it works great on the crop cameras, that focus is dead-on. It said it is only with the full frame that the lens 'gets confused' and does not always successfully focus. Like I said, this seems like it could be a possibile reasonable statement, just not sure if it is true or not.

For those of you using this lens with a 5D II, could you share your experience, or thoughts on this? Thank you so much!

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

sponsored links
BananaRaw
429 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 26, 2012 12:23 |  #2

On a 5Dc, this is one of the only lenses that did not need to be send back for calibration. My sigma focuses quick and good! I really like this lens a lot!

::: Gear :::
::: Flickr (external link) ::: 500px (external link) ::: Tumblr. (external link) :::

michgirl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 26, 2012 12:52 |  #3

BananaRaw wrote in post #13969909 (external link)
On a 5Dc, this is one of the only lenses that did not need to be send back for calibration. My sigma focuses quick and good! I really like this lens a lot!

Good to hear! Thanks for taking the time to answer. Pretty sure this i my 'next lens' - then I should be set ;)

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8

KevB
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 26, 2012 13:09 as a reply to  @ michgirl's post |  #4

Mine works perfectly on my 5D II. I did not have to send mine in for calibration as it was easily set up using the micro adjustment. It's probably my most used lens since I bought it.

My Gear., 5D MkII, G11, Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS, Canon 17-40mm F4 L, Canon 24-105mm F4 L, SigmaLux 50mm F1.4 :D, Canon 1.4x MkII tc, Canon 2x MkII tc,Canon 580ex MkII.
http://www.kevinbrycep​hotography.co.uk/ (external link)

highstakes
182 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 26, 2012 13:10 |  #5

Its an excellent lens, AF was a little tricky @ f1.4, but worked like a charm 85% (@ f1.4) of the time! Its the only lens that I regret selling. The best advice I can give is to take your 5D and test out the copies at your local camera store (assuming they will you "try" a few copies at the store). You will pay a bit more at the local store, but its a cheaper/less headache option than to send your body/lens to Sigma for calibration.

Canon 5D II - Canon 16 - 35 f2.8L II - Canon 70 - 200 f2.8L IS II - 430EX II

Winwin
702 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 26, 2012 13:19 |  #6

My Sigma 50mm f/1.4 works good on my 5DII.
The AF can be tricky at wider apertures, as the above poster said.

Have you considered buying an used one off this forum? Nice thing about that you can get one that already has went through the calibration process (or is a good copy out of the box) if the seller is well-reputated and says so.

Win.
Canon 5D Mark III, 100 f/2.8L Macro, 50 f/1.8 STM

Golden ­ Hunter
803 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 26, 2012 13:45 as a reply to  @ michgirl's post |  #7

I agree 100% that it is not right that a new lens should have to be sent back to be calibrated. However, when I looked at the alternative, with the Canon 50L being more than double the cost and the Canon 50 f1.4 being fragile and within $100 the cost of the Sigma, I had to think long term and consider what would be best at the end of the day. I did buy the Sigma, dropped it off for calibration and couldn't be happier. Now , I will admit that it didn't cost me anything to drop it off, as Sigma was near my workplace. If I had to pay to send it in, I may have went a different route. Most will agree that once it is dialed in, it is a great lens. I believe too that at large apertures, I would think that other lenses could probably be off by a little bit. There is variation in camera bodies. IOW, it is conceivable that one might have to have a Canon lens calibrated as well, mainly if the body doesn't have MA.

Brent
5D Mark2 // 16-35 f4L // 70-200 f4L // 17-40 f4L // Sigma 50 f1.4//
580EX2

MATT0404
485 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 26, 2012 13:57 |  #8

I love this focal length on my 5d2. I was disappointed, however, with both Sigma's I tried on my camera. Both copies needed more than +20 mfa to focus accurately. I returned them both and have yet to decide what to replace them with. Until then, I'll use the nifty-fifty.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

michgirl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 26, 2012 13:59 |  #9

Glad to hear so many success stories - it does sound like a wonderful lens and now I am set on it for sure. Thanks to all that took the time to let me know their experiences!

Robin

eeeksNYC
603 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 26, 2012 14:00 |  #10

I agree that the lens *should* be 100% out of the box. But, if you DO have to send it to Sigma, they do a very quick and thorough job of getting it there.

I bought my Siggy second hand and have been using it on a 5DC. Wide open is tricky as others have said, but its well worth having the calibration done.

eeeksNYC (my blog (external link), my flickr (external link))
zeiss ikon icarex 35s,5D MK1/ EF 28-70 f2.8L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sunpak 383s / Cybersyncs / and a couple bags of other stuff....http://www.flickr.com/​photos/29075737@N02/ (external link)

Neil ­ B
Goldmember
1,379 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 26, 2012 15:29 as a reply to  @ eeeksNYC's post |  #11

i had this lens, it was front focusing, i sent it to sigma, they fixed it and sent it back in a week, lens was track sharp, however i wasn't a fan of the focal length on my 5D, sold the lens and got a 35L, best thing i ever did, with the 50mm it was a hit or miss for me, i have got a lot more keepers with the 35L

when i used it on my 50D it was fast and awesome, on the 5D it was focusing slow

if you have the money go for the 35L if not the 50mm is a great lens too.

Website  (external link)Twitter (external link) Tumblr (external link) Facebook (external link)500px (external link)

N.O.R.E.
763 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 26, 2012 17:37 |  #12

I tried 3 copies of this lens - all had AF issues on my 5d2. When I finally bought one it was a dud too and I sent it in to Sigma Canada. Was there for 9 weeks and came back with no AF at all (dead). I promtly returned it for a refund and stuck with my nifty-fifty.

FlickR (external link)
blog: www.tompiprek.com (external link)

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 26, 2012 18:32 |  #13

Hitting af accurately @1.4 takes practice. Specially at short distance. You have mfa on 5d2. No reason not to use it. Buy it from an us authorized dealer and you will be fine.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 26, 2012 18:49 |  #14

Mine was perfect from out the box and the focus issue is blown way out of proportion by people on forums like this. Most just repeat what they have read without having one. Every lens I have bought worked fine but if you get something expecting to find trouble and go looking for it you will. Trying to check it with printed sheets of paper isn't the way to test a lens. I have read posts on here of people testing this lens at right on min focus distance and wondering why the battery they are looking at isn't sharp at 1.4.

Not suggesting you are one of these but if you get one take it out and take some real pictures and if they look good to you then it is fine.

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

Stan_Fox
121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 26, 2012 19:22 |  #15

We found the Sigmalux to be a very nice lens right out of the box. Just know that there are variations in camera body tolerances within the same model, just as there are in lenses. I had to send my 1Ds MkIII to CPS when I first got it, as all lenses required close to +13ma, and other than the EF50 1.4 & the Sigmalux, all the others are L lenses.
The Siggy on the 5D MkII is my favorite walk around combo when I need to get out of a creative rut and love it for street photos & weddings.

I hope you have a good experience!

Chief Bottle Washer
www.foxworthystudios.c​om (external link)
www.fromthefox.wordpre​ss.com (external link)
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

sponsored links

10,283 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and 5d Mark II?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.