Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Feb 2012 (Sunday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LR3 - how many computers w/ single license

Dennisaurous
71 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 26, 2012 14:37 |  #1

Hello photographers,

I recently bought a copy of LR3 due to the price drop and it's also the logical next step in furthering my photography knowledge. I currently have no LR knowledge and looking forward in learning.

My overall questions is:

- how many times can I download this program with a single license? I currently have a PC laptop and looking to pick up an iMac within 2 weeks.

- If I can legally DL the program multiple times, can I DL once to my PC and eventually another time to an iMac?

- If I can have LR on 2 computers can the programs be running at the same time (ex . wife using it on a laptop while I'm on a desktop)?

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward in using the program and hoping I'll enjoy it.

--RaWr!
Capturing moments that created great memories
Project 365 / 366 www/instagram.com/denn​isaurous

sponsored links
Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 26, 2012 14:49 |  #2

As far as I know you can install lightroom on 2 different computers using the same license (it doesn't really matter if you install one from your cd, and download the other from the LR website) BUT you can only be running ONE instance of Lightroom at a time.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Dennisaurous
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 26, 2012 18:48 |  #3

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #13970569 (external link)
As far as I know you can install lightroom on 2 different computers using the same license (it doesn't really matter if you install one from your cd, and download the other from the LR website) BUT you can only be running ONE instance of Lightroom at a time.

Thanks for this...

--RaWr!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 26, 2012 19:17 |  #4

It's been a while since I read the LR Terms and Conditions -- yes you are limited to installing on two different computers, but two is allowed and PC and Mac are allowed, although you will possibly have to "jump through hoops" to register one for the PC (getting a PC-specific installation file online) and installing for a Mac, which requires a different installation file. Plenty of people have done this, so you might want to check on the specific experiences people have had, here or in another Lightroom-dedicated forum.

As to having the two installations active at the same time, I'm not sure how stringent the "terms" are, although I can say from experience that if I'm working on my computer upstairs and leave it with LR open and go downstairs and open LR on my laptop, there is no hinderance...but if you want to get the "real downlow" on this I'd suggest going into the Adobe Lightroom Users Forum and asking there:

http://forums.adobe.co​m/community/lightroom (external link)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Dennisaurous
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 26, 2012 20:28 |  #5

tonylong wrote in post #13971947 (external link)
It's been a while since I read the LR Terms and Conditions -- yes you are limited to installing on two different computers, but two is allowed and PC and Mac are allowed, although you will possibly have to "jump through hoops" to register one for the PC (getting a PC-specific installation file online) and installing for a Mac, which requires a different installation file. Plenty of people have done this, so you might want to check on the specific experiences people have had, here or in another Lightroom-dedicated forum.

As to having the two installations active at the same time, I'm not sure how stringent the "terms" are, although I can say from experience that if I'm working on my computer upstairs and leave it with LR open and go downstairs and open LR on my laptop, there is no hinderance...but if you want to get the "real downlow" on this I'd suggest going into the Adobe Lightroom Users Forum and asking there:

http://forums.adobe.co​m/community/lightroom (external link)

Tony, your response and link is very useful. Thank you.

--RaWr!

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 26, 2012 22:13 |  #6

Definitely check http://www.slrlounge.c​om/ (external link) for a ton of great tutorials on the product. Spent another few hours on that site this week. Great stuff.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 26, 2012 22:44 |  #7

TTuna Eye wrote in post #13973194 (external link)
Definitely check http://www.slrlounge.c​om/for (external link) a ton of great tutorials on the product. Spent another few hours on that site this week. Great stuff.

You might want to edit your post by removing the "for" at the end of your link!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 26, 2012 22:51 |  #8

Done!

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

Dennisaurous
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 26, 2012 23:18 |  #9

TTuna Eye wrote in post #13973194 (external link)
Definitely check http://www.slrlounge.c​om/ (external link) for a ton of great tutorials on the product. Spent another few hours on that site this week. Great stuff.

Considering I have a very basic knowledge in PP (moving the Canon DPP contrast, saturation, brightness etc... bars left and right) I can see myself spending a few hours on the site as well. Thanks for this!

--RaWr!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 27, 2012 00:14 |  #10

ScottGCanon wrote in post #13973649 (external link)
just tap the the sw code, its easy to do. You own the key and you should be able to install it on all your own computers.

Bad advice -- the Terms and Conditions are quite specific about a max of two installations, and it's against POTN rules to advise someone to break the T%C! Please remove this advice and avoid getting in trouble with the mods, and read up on the POTN rules!

Tony

ScottGCanon
75 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 27, 2012 01:06 |  #11

tonylong wrote in post #13973781 (external link)
Bad advice -- the Terms and Conditions are quite specific about a max of two installations, and it's against POTN rules to advise someone to break the T%C! Please remove this advice and avoid getting in trouble with the mods, and read up on the POTN rules!

Well I removed the post, but I sued Adobe in 2005 NJ Superior Court and won the right to install as many copies as I want on personal computers that I own of any Adobe Apps. All I do is call adobe and tell them I have 5 computers in my house, and I want to run the same key on all of them. They supply me a program to block the app I'm requesting to block the TCP call out so I can do this.

ScottGCanon

chesterjohnphoto
Goldmember
1,525 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 27, 2012 05:11 |  #12

Yes, you can have them on two, ive got them both, laptop and desktop. Cant go wrong with it.

Facebook page (since Jan 2010) (external link)
Flickr (since June 2013) (external link)
....I kill ambient light, use Profoto light and control it my way

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 27, 2012 12:06 |  #13

ScottGCanon wrote in post #13973955 (external link)
Well I removed the post, but I sued Adobe in 2005 NJ Superior Court and won the right to install as many copies as I want on personal computers that I own of any Adobe Apps. All I do is call adobe and tell them I have 5 computers in my house, and I want to run the same key on all of them. They supply me a program to block the app I'm requesting to block the TCP call out so I can do this.

Hmm, that's the first I've heard of that.

If there has been a legal decision in the US that more than two household computers are allowed to run an Adobe product, that should be public information and published by Adobe, rather than be a "secret" between them and users who take them to court!

As it is, if I try to install say Photoshop on more than two computers with one license I get rejected...

If you can provide POTN mods with documentation of this then maybe it could be posted -- that would keep you out of trouble, but like I say, Adobe really needs to spell things out in their Terms and Conditions for US customers!

Tony

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 27, 2012 12:15 |  #14

ScottGCanon wrote in post #13973955 (external link)

lmao..

[ www (external link)ยท flickr (external link)]

ScottGCanon
75 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 27, 2012 12:58 |  #15

Sure I can provide you the docket number next weekend when I get back from the war zone. I have limited access here for only a few hours a day. You should be able to search nj records courts for adobe.

The TCP Block Application is Adobe Branded too. It's what is used at Shows to run the same key on all of them at the same time. It's not a hack, it's from them. Been doing it for 9 years now.

ScottGCanon

sponsored links

3,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
LR3 - how many computers w/ single license
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.