Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 25, 2012 11:08 |  #3751

^^ thanks for the tip Gerry.

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

sponsored links
kawboy613
860 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 25, 2012 15:50 |  #3752

posted this elsewhere, but fits here also...

first real attempt at multiple strobe studio "kinda" shots.

my makeshift bed sheet backdrop

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …furryninja/_V2P​2792-1.jpg (external link)

my youngest of 4 at 1 week old.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …ryninja/_V2P282​0-1-wm.jpg (external link)

Tim
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Website http://www.bent-treephotography.com (external link) its small right now, but.... it's a start !

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,643 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 25, 2012 15:54 |  #3753

kawboy613 wrote in post #13965882 (external link)
posted this elsewhere, but fits here also...

first real attempt at multiple strobe studio "kinda" shots.

my makeshift bed sheet backdrop
QUOTED IMAGE

my youngest of 4 at 1 week old.
QUOTED IMAGE

wow thats very creative IMO
really nice work
beautiful pic, beautiful baby

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

kawboy613
860 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 25, 2012 16:15 |  #3754

DigitalTuned wrote in post #13965900 (external link)
wow thats very creative IMO
really nice work
beautiful pic, beautiful baby

As my wife would say, "Yes her is !" LOL :lol:

Thank you!

Tim
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Website http://www.bent-treephotography.com (external link) its small right now, but.... it's a start !

kawboy613
860 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 25, 2012 16:30 |  #3755

I guess i forgot to take a "set-up" shot of this, but i got the idea from "katodog" here: https://photography-on-the.net …p=12877387&post​count=1517 His final results were much better in my opinion, but at least i can say i tried it, and probably will again someday.

My set-up was micro mag keychain light, with head removed, hanging by 6 in string from boom stand. camera on tripod, knee high, pointed towards ceiling, lying on back, prefocus on tip of flashlight.
colored one PP'd in LR2.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …furryninja/_V2P​2143-3.jpg (external link)

http://i14.photobucket​.com …furryninja/_V2P​2134-2.jpg (external link)

Tim
GEAR & FEEDBACK

katodog
Goldmember
4,104 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 25, 2012 16:51 |  #3756

They look good to me, nice sharp lines.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

mike3767
242 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 26, 2012 02:04 |  #3757

Here is my first attempt at this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to do a logo for a company and sell it to them but can't figure out who to do that. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D MKII, TS-E 17Lmm, 100Lmm Macro,24-70Lmm, 70-200LIImm

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 27, 2012 03:09 |  #3758

I am super stoked i finally get to contribute to the thread... I have followed this since the third or fourth post.

Anyways, here is our Easter shoot with my daughter from today.

Setup:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7042/6788392556_a9a587f679_b.jpg

Final:
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7066/6934506831_e9af2d562c_b.jpg

Exif nerds:
ISO 100
f/2.8
1/2000
135L + 5D

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,627 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 27, 2012 03:25 |  #3759

Bleufire wrote in post #13974394 (external link)
I am super stoked i finally get to contribute to the thread... I have followed this since the third or fourth post.

Exif nerds:
ISO 100
f/2.8
1/2000
135L + 5D

Lovely shot in a nice setting. But I would have taken this with a slightly tighter aperture like 5.6 or 8 to get sufficient depth of field to get your signs in focus.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,643 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 27, 2012 04:05 |  #3760

Setup:
QUOTED IMAGE

Final:
QUOTED IMAGE

Exif nerds:
ISO 100
f/2.8
1/2000
135L + 5D

Great job!
Can't wait till warmer weather to do thi type of work.

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 27, 2012 08:09 |  #3761

Cute Easter picture. I would have shot this at 2.8 as well. You can still read both signs with no problem, but yet the attention and focus is all on her. Great job!

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 27, 2012 08:34 |  #3762

vk2gwk wrote in post #13974439 (external link)
Lovely shot in a nice setting. But I would have taken this with a slightly tighter aperture like 5.6 or 8 to get sufficient depth of field to get your signs in focus.

:p
Didn't get to edit this yet but did add some saturation and sharpness w/ a crop for the comment:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7195/6935102503_ff6a9eab1a_b.jpg

EXIF:
ISO 200
f/5.6
1/800
135L+5D

I was started with f/2 to play and realized it was too thin trying to include the background so i stopped it down as I went and got lucky with her looking at the camera.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

askydiver
215 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 27, 2012 08:37 |  #3763

Bleufire wrote in post #13975289 (external link)
:p
QUOTED IMAGE

EXIF:
ISO 200
f/5.6
1/800
135L+5D

I was started with f/2 to play and realized it was too thin trying to include the background so i stopped it down as I went and got lucky with her looking at the camera.

I am with Jay, i like the one with the sign's just slightly OOF. It helps put the focus on her. With the signs in focus, they seem to compete. All in all both are very nice, but I like the first one better, to include her looking into the camera. :)

1Dx | 7D2 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II | And a few more red lines.

pilsburypie
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 27, 2012 08:47 |  #3764

Setup:
QUOTED IMAGE

Final:

Both lovely shots - the expressions I find are the hardest things to catch and you certainly caught them. Just a couple of observations from your setup. Having your tripod centre column extended makes for the least stable platform. You could have just had the legs extended (anyhow your shutter was fast). Secondly, you have your flash pointed 45 degrees to the sky and your catchlight card out. Why not just have it pointed at her? A catchlight card is for when you are bouncing flash off a ceiling and you want a little light thrown forward for eye catchlights and possibly a little fill. If you point your flasjh straight at her and just want catchlights and no fill, just set it to very low. On the other hand if you did want a bit of fill, which I'm sure you did, you want it pointed straight at her without the catchlight card out..... As I said, both lovely shots;)

Mark
Gear List

Purplecow
178 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 27, 2012 11:40 |  #3765

pilsburypie wrote in post #13975367 (external link)
Both lovely shots - the expressions I find are the hardest things to catch and you certainly caught them. Just a couple of observations from your setup. Having your tripod centre column extended makes for the least stable platform. You could have just had the legs extended (anyhow your shutter was fast). Secondly, you have your flash pointed 45 degrees to the sky and your catchlight card out. Why not just have it pointed at her? A catchlight card is for when you are bouncing flash off a ceiling and you want a little light thrown forward for eye catchlights and possibly a little fill. If you point your flasjh straight at her and just want catchlights and no fill, just set it to very low. On the other hand if you did want a bit of fill, which I'm sure you did, you want it pointed straight at her without the catchlight card out..... As I said, both lovely shots;)

I agree with pilsurypie. Your flash setup wasn't quite right. The catchlight card does nothing to soften/diffuse the light. The size of your light source dictates the softness of the light. The size of the catchlight card is roughly the same size as the flash head and therefore does nothing. You're throwing away most of the light by pointing the flash into the sky. You have to use a much higher flash setting to get descent result in this case. You're better off pointing the flash directly at your subject and use a much lower flash setting to provide fill flash. If you want to use the flash as your main light source, I suggest you get an umbrella.

sponsored links

5,321,425 views & 9,284 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.