Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 27 Feb 2012 (Monday) 00:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first photos, feeling a little insecure :\

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 00:16 |  #1

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7177/6788047054_7c0258b91d.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/75523744@N02/6​788047054/  (external link)
IMG_0061a (external link) by Naraly05 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_0050aa (external link) by Naraly05 (external link), on Flickr

These are one of my first photos with my T2i Canon rebel the kit lense (85-55mm).
I did quite a bit of PP on the second image because mainly the ocean was overexposed. I'm not sure if I under exposed it too much?
I also think the images are not sharp enough, on the first one I used a slower shutter speed, trying to see if I could get a good blur in the movement of the waves, but I didn't.
Are these really bad?

Any critique is welcome.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links
Roush611
61 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 00:17 |  #2

You have to post the other code from Flickr.

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 00:20 |  #3

Sorry about that! and thank you :)

Cheers,
Nora

Roush611
61 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 00:35 |  #4

First off don't feel insecure. We all have to start somewhere. You pictures are not bad by any means. The composition of the first one is a bit meh, not all that interesting. If you want to make the waves blur you will have to use a longer exposure than you did and also get way closer, like down where that person is in the picture. Also the middle of the day is not a good time to do that because your pictures will get way blown out unless you are using the right equipment, ie filters and all that jazz. This is just my thoughts though, everyone is a bit different and I am by no means an expert.

The second picture is nice. The color on the hill add to the picture but the train tracks catch my attention and want me to follow them.

Keep at it you will notice the change in your pictures!!

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Feb 27, 2012 01:29 |  #5

Welcome to the forum....the shots you shared are a good starting point. There are lots of little things that we all have to watch for. For example, in the second photo, the horizon is running downhill. The folks on the shore would need to prepare for the tsunami. Fortunately, that is an easy fix in the editing process. All decent photo editors have a horizon/level tool that will bring that back to where it needs to be. The down side of fixing that in the editing process, is that you will lose parts of the image in the rotation. That is one thing to try to get close in camera. Saves aggravation down the road. Early morning and evening light is much more pleasing than mid-day and again, it should help cut down on the editing necessary to get a pleasing shot.

Don't be insecure. Don't hesitate to share. And don't take things as a personal attack. Most folks here will do their best to give you good advice and steer you in the right direction.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Tragic_Golfer
400 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 01:44 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #6

Wow. I am new here today and a newbie photographer, also a little insecure. Your second pic is really nice. I am not even going to try to citique as I know very little. However you have inspired me to post a few pics of my own for some advice. Thanks.

Canon 5D mkII - BG-E6 Grip, Canon 40D Gripped, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS, Canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 550EX, Canon 430EXII.

Tragic_Golfer
400 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 01:55 |  #7

Can anyone explian or direct me to a help section that shows how to upload my picture into a thread

Canon 5D mkII - BG-E6 Grip, Canon 40D Gripped, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS, Canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 550EX, Canon 430EXII.

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Feb 27, 2012 02:07 |  #8

Tragic_Golfer wrote in post #13974111 (external link)
Can anyone explian or direct me to a help section that shows how to upload my picture into a thread

Sure.....start here.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=51022

And then go here.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=163796

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

zosobao5150
101 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 27, 2012 08:12 |  #9

I would like to see the horizon straightened in the second pic. Kind of looks like the water is going to spill onto the land. Otherwise, not too shabby!

Canon 7D, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50 non stabilized, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Canon 100mm 2.8, Canon 2x Extender MK III, Canon 580EX Flash

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 14:30 |  #10

Roush611 wrote in post #13973859 (external link)
First off don't feel insecure. We all have to start somewhere. You pictures are not bad by any means. The composition of the first one is a bit meh, not all that interesting. If you want to make the waves blur you will have to use a longer exposure than you did and also get way closer, like down where that person is in the picture. Also the middle of the day is not a good time to do that because your pictures will get way blown out unless you are using the right equipment, ie filters and all that jazz. This is just my thoughts though, everyone is a bit different and I am by no means an expert.

The second picture is nice. The color on the hill add to the picture but the train tracks catch my attention and want me to follow them.

Keep at it you will notice the change in your pictures!!

Thanks for your feedback! I don't know what I was thinking, now that you mentioned it it makes sense I would have to be closer to the waves to get the blurr. And yea I realize it's not a good time of day I wish it would have been before the sun set.

Cheers,
Nora

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 14:32 |  #11

Woolburr wrote in post #13974023 (external link)
Welcome to the forum....the shots you shared are a good starting point. There are lots of little things that we all have to watch for. For example, in the second photo, the horizon is running downhill. The folks on the shore would need to prepare for the tsunami. Fortunately, that is an easy fix in the editing process. All decent photo editors have a horizon/level tool that will bring that back to where it needs to be. The down side of fixing that in the editing process, is that you will lose parts of the image in the rotation. That is one thing to try to get close in camera. Saves aggravation down the road. Early morning and evening light is much more pleasing than mid-day and again, it should help cut down on the editing necessary to get a pleasing shot.

Don't be insecure. Don't hesitate to share. And don't take things as a personal attack. Most folks here will do their best to give you good advice and steer you in the right direction.

I did not even notice that about the horizon running downhill, thanks for pointing that out :).

Cheers,
Nora

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 14:34 |  #12

Tragic_Golfer wrote in post #13974074 (external link)
Wow. I am new here today and a newbie photographer, also a little insecure. Your second pic is really nice. I am not even going to try to citique as I know very little. However you have inspired me to post a few pics of my own for some advice. Thanks.

Thank you :). And I'm glad I inspired you to do so, can't wait to see them!

Cheers,
Nora

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 21:26 |  #13

Fixed the horizon, I think!

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7184/6790958970_b9c96fd1e0.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/75523744@N02/6​790958970/  (external link)
IMG_0050aaa (external link) by Naraly05 (external link), on Flickr

Here's one more. What should be different about it? When shooting a person with a scene behind, should I focus on both the background and subject, or just the subject and blur the background a little, which would look better?

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7193/6937094841_7e4e734613.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/75523744@N02/6​937094841/  (external link)
IMG_0071aaaa (external link) by Naraly05 (external link), on Flickr

Cheers,
Nora

RACINGHART03
908 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 28, 2012 19:47 |  #14

I like the fix but that dead branch sticking up is the shot killer for me. One thing I always try to remember before I hit the shutter button, is there anything in the viewfinder I dont want in my shot.. I would have said the branch...and could have elimated it with two steps forward..or maybe more but you get the point. I like the shot otherwise. Nice colors, The angle of the hill takes your eyes to the tracks which lead you towards the water, and whats ahead.

500PX (external link)FLICKR (external link)
Canon 5DMKIII Gripped X 2, 35MM 1.4/ 50MM 1.2/ 85MM 1.2/ 135MM 2.0/ 16-35 F2.8LII/ 24-70 F2.8L/ 70-200 F2.8L IS/ 300mm IS 4.0L/100MM 2.8L Macro/ 1.4II range extender/ 600ex-RT X4 /Ste3/ MR14X II

Six ­ Fifty ­ B
201 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 28, 2012 21:20 as a reply to  @ RACINGHART03's post |  #15

Love the Gaviota coast.

sponsored links

1,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first photos, feeling a little insecure :\
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.