Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 21 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 11:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you price Real Estate Photography?

Luisrz87
115 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 21, 2012 11:05 |  #1

Thank you.

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 21, 2012 11:24 as a reply to  @ post 13936195 |  #2

By how much your worth and what the demand is. You could charge 10,000 but won't get anything or you could charge 50 bucks and be swamped. You have to make your own prices. start low and work up when you get alot of business.

I too want to do real estate and know alot of people in 1mil+ homes that would be simply awesome for a portfolio.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Luisrz87
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 21, 2012 11:31 as a reply to  @ post 13936195 |  #3

I'm sorry, I was not clear enough with my question, I mean how do you typically set your prices.. do you charge per home? per hour? per number of photos? Thank you.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 21, 2012 12:15 as a reply to  @ post 13936195 |  #4

I don't think that there is a set formula for this.

A lot depends on the area that you are in and who your target market is.

By this I mean that if you are targetting high-end real estate dealers and your aim is to create magazine quality images of 1 property a day then you could easily quote on a day-rate.

If you are in an area of more modest properties and you are looking to shoot 3 or 4 in a day then I'd probably go with a "per property" rate as if you quote by the hour and work quickly you will earn less than if you are a slower worker.

If pricing on a per property basis you may want to look at setting price bands based on the squate footage or ticket price of the property as larger (more expensive) properties will on average take longer to photograph than smaller (cheaper) properties. The real estate vendors will also be picking up a bigger fee for the more expensive properties.

You also need to consider what you need the clients to do in terms of staging - alternately for high-end properties you may want to employ a designer to help you to stage the property when you get there (at an additional cost of course).

Additional fees may also be levied on the client if they require dawn or dusk shots etc as this will limit the work that you can take on.

These are just some general ideas - you really have not given us enough information to give specific advice.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 21, 2012 12:42 |  #5

with a dollar sign at the front, followed by some numbers. The same way you price anything.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 21, 2012 13:45 |  #6

Luisrz87 wrote in post #13936182 (external link)
Thank you.

A little more information other then "how do you price real estate photography" might get you better answers.

Bryan

My Gear List

pbisfun
231 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 23, 2012 14:22 |  #7

you guys are as helpfull as a papper sack in a storm. here you have a guy wanting to charge instead of giving his services away for free and the only thing you guys are doing is giving him a hard time.

I would say these guys don't know the answer, and I really don't know eather but if it was me It would depend. am I setting up a contract for long term business, or am I quoting for a one house deal.\

one house deal I wuld charge the same as if I was doing a portrait in studio. I would charge for time spent, and the per picture.

if you are doing a contract deal kind of get a estament of how many houses you might take picture of in a year and then give a yearly cost. let them know that the contract is for a year and at the end of the year you would like to draw up a new contract once you have a better idea of what involved

any time you quote a project quote the time you are going to spend that includes takeing pictures travile, pp work, cost per picture. and then licensing fee.

what you can do is do a search on the internet for a photography company in the same state but to far away for away so that your not taking there business and call them up. be honest most of the time if they are not in the midel of somthing, and you are not going to be taking buisness away from them they don't mind giving helpfull information. but the only people that can realy answer your question when it comes to how much to charge for your area for that type of photography is some one that doing they same in that area.charge to much and no one will hire you. charge to littel and you will go broke and piss all the phototraphers off in your area neather is good

the light is seen by all but not understood by all
http://photoSentimenta​l.com (external link)

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 23, 2012 14:54 |  #8

I"ve seen some offers for $50 per property. You'd probably want to limit yourself to 10 images per property, then charge extra for each addtiional 10.

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 23, 2012 15:11 |  #9

Pricing out services isn't as simple as asking "how do you price it". There are a lot of aspects which go into coming up with a price which is fair and reasonable for all parties involved. We don't know whether the original poster is taking 1 image of the outside of a foreclosed property for an internet listing, shooting an entire office building for the architect to use as archival content, or documenting a million-dollar estate to target a high-end buyer. Each job will have a different price attached to it based on amount of images needed, complexity of each image, audience that the image is targeted to, usage of the images, etc.

When people ask me how much I charge to take photos, I can't give them a number without getting several details ironed out. If I think they are asking about a portrait session and I tell them $75 an hour, but they really need me to travel across the country to shoot a corporate function over a full weekend or to shoot a commercial advertisement for a major clothing brand, then I've drastically under-priced myself. I've shot all 3 of the scenarios above, and all 3 started with the question of "how much do you charge", yet the pricing for all 3 jobs was calculated differently.

Once we get the full details of what the OP is shooting and what the images are being used for, then there will likely be more detailed responses.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

sdubose99
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 24, 2012 11:36 as a reply to  @ JacobPhoto's post |  #10

Luis, check this...
http://photographyforr​ealestate.net …-real-estate-photography/ (external link)
and
http://www.flickr.com …phyforrealestat​e/discuss/ (external link)

Different people charge in different ways... you're in an exclusive area and could charge good money if your quality is high. Do you have a web site?

I'm from SC originally, email me if you want to discuss further.

www.scottDphotos.com (external link)
sdubose99 at yahoo.com

mchong75
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 24, 2012 13:08 |  #11

Base pay

Total miles from me to location

Standard amount of photos or above

Editing time

Property size

Weekdays or weekend

Residential or commercial properties

One time or a long term

Few other on my list.

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 27, 2012 17:13 |  #12

Luisrz87 wrote in post #13936182 (external link)
Thank you.

I am a Realtor for the last 25 years and I started making my hobby photography as a business at the request of some agents in my office. I checked websites from real estate photographers on the net. Photo graphers of high end properties with prices over a million are charging between $500 and $2200 per listed homes.
Photographers of normal 3 to 4 bedrooms, 2 bath homes and peiced between $280,000 and $600,000 do charge between $120 and $200.
Our MLS lets Realtors upload a max. of 35 pictures.
I use the Realtors in my office as a marketing tool and charge them between $70 and $100. Outside Realtors cost within 5 miles is $100 and when farther up to 10 miles an additional $10. I have to work in today's economy.
And I work with a Canon lens 10-22mm wide and the 24-105mm zoom.
The software I use is photo element 9.

av8r
528 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 29, 2012 17:31 |  #13

You should know about what you need as an hourly rate as a minimum for any job. Offer a good/better/best proposal if you think that will work or figure out how long it takes you to photograph a home and do the math. I can do most homes up to 4000 sq ft including outdoor shots in an hour or so and charge accordingly.

For showcase homes I bump up the rate exponentially.

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

Jay_Z
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 18, 2016 12:10 as a reply to  @ Ronny Geenen's post |  #14

This is an older post (about 4 years!) but still quite relevant. Good info, thanks!

I was just considering the same. I have a real estate agency looking to hire a new photographer (last one moved away). They specialize in luxury properties - either larger homes or larger acreages. In less urban areas - some rural or destination, these run from $750k to 2mil (and some up to 6mil).

They are a part of an agency that puts out a document on the emphasis on the branding/marketing through photography/video and how this is critical in presenting/selling these luxury properties. I would think, most potential buyers are not local so this is a way to present and attract buyers.

While I typically figured the going rate was $250 for about 10-15 photos - they need 100 photos (that's a lot!) for each listing. Interior, exterior and aerial. This includes the home, surroundings and photos from the area. On one, they would like me to stay the night and get sunset and sunrise photos from the location.

Now, I figure for every hour I'm there, I have another 2-3 hours away (editing, sorting, etc). If I do a 5 hour shoot - interior, exterior, aerial - I have another 10-15 hours back at my desk. So, 15-20 hours on a home - I would like a fair hourly rate (vehicle, travel, equipment investments, time, insurance, etc) - I think 50/hr is reasonable (or, 100-150/hr based on the actual shooting hours). What are your thoughts?

For a luxury property and prestigious agency that emphasizes quality imagery, any recommendations based on your experience (in real estate & photography)? They said in the past they've typically paid $350-500 - this seems quite low. I was thinking, $800-1000. Any thoughts? Low, high, reasonable? Thanks!!

(And for now, I'm only figuring photography and not video)

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Scott Spellman.

Apr 19, 2016 02:51 as a reply to  @ Jay_Z's post |  #15

I shoot 75+ properties from $250-$3M a year in my area a year. The pricing they have specified is consistent with my market too. $500 for properties over $1M is tops. Your 3X PP time multiplier is simply way higher than typical RE photos and skews your value and pricing. It is more typical to deliver around 50 images per property depending on amenities and outdoor features. The tough parts of the property preparation, cleaning, and staging should be completely separate and not part of your fee, so that 1.5 hours is the most I would spend at any property.

Streamlining your workflow and efficiency is the key to a profitable project.

sponsored links

12,574 views & 2 likes for this thread
How do you price Real Estate Photography?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.