Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 27 Feb 2012 (Monday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BASIC cropping advice

stanwelks
201 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 27, 2012 22:20 |  #1

I am new to photography and I took a photo of a lizard and I am not sure of the best way to crop the image. Can someone take a look at my image and give me some feedback on the cropped version? Should I crop more out of it? What do you base your decision for cropping it on?

Thanks!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 27, 2012 22:29 |  #2

A fairly basic rule of composition is Fill the Frame (external link)

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

PhotosGuy
75,867 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 27, 2012 23:05 |  #3

What do you base your decision for cropping it on?

Before cropping comes framing. So I base it on the final shot that I'm able to get. For instance in your shot, that would be the first one I took. (Safety shot). Then I'd get closer & take another one. Repeat until the little guy goes away. Now I've got something to work with. Out of your shot, I'd probably throw 95% of it away.

Do you crop most of the time?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

mrwalker
274 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 27, 2012 23:10 as a reply to  @ cacawcacaw's post |  #4

To paraphrase Mr Cartier-Bresson a bit, decide what your subject is, leave in anything that adds to the subject, eliminate anything that detracts from the subject.

I like it like this:

HOSTED PHOTO

Amateur, but not Destroying Photography...
Current: T2i/ 550D || EF 85mm 1.8 USM || 430EX II || Powershot SD880 IS || Manfrotto 190 from the last century || Ubuntu 10.04.4, RawTherapee and GIMP
Old: Nikon FM10 (Manual Film SLR) || Nikon E 50mm f1.8 AI || Nikkor 135mm f2.8 AI

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 23:15 |  #5

I'm new here, but to my personal taste I would crop it more, to get rid of some distractions. For instance, that thing (maybe dry palm?) on the top right is distracting to me because its reflecting as much light as the rock. So my eye goes back and forth instead of focusing on the detail of the lizard. I would crop out the bottom half of the rock, and a little bit of the tail from the left side (to get it on the bottom left point from using the rule of thirds).

Just my two cents, I'm no pro :).

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 23:17 |  #6

I didn't get to see the post above me, mrwalker's version is good that it does not have distractions so the viewer can focus on the main subject :).

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

stanwelks
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 27, 2012 23:51 |  #7

Thanks to everyone for providing info/advice!

I like what you did mrwalker, however, by doing this:

1. It removes the elements to the right of the lizard showing it looking off into the distance off of the rock. That was my original intention, though it sounds like everyone else is suggestion to fill the frame with the lizard?

2. When cropping so many pixels, at what point does it become a problem with regard to printing when so much is cropped out? How do you make cropping decisions while considering how it will affect the print?

Thanks!

mrwalker
274 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 28, 2012 00:37 |  #8

stanwelks wrote in post #13981030 (external link)

1. It removes the elements to the right of the lizard showing it looking off into the distance off of the rock. That was my original intention, though it sounds like everyone else is suggestion to fill the frame with the lizard?

2. When cropping so many pixels, at what point does it become a problem with regard to printing when so much is cropped out? How do you make cropping decisions while considering how it will affect the print?

Thanks!

The 'space in the direction of the sight-line' is a good idea, problem here (for me at least) is that it runs into some very distracting background (esp the dry palm frond) so better cut it short at the bricks.

I just think of the target aspect ratio and print size (check with your printers esp. re DPI) and crop accordingly!

Caveat: See my signature!

Amateur, but not Destroying Photography...
Current: T2i/ 550D || EF 85mm 1.8 USM || 430EX II || Powershot SD880 IS || Manfrotto 190 from the last century || Ubuntu 10.04.4, RawTherapee and GIMP
Old: Nikon FM10 (Manual Film SLR) || Nikon E 50mm f1.8 AI || Nikkor 135mm f2.8 AI

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 28, 2012 12:12 |  #9

I would have liked to have gone even tighter, showing only a portion of the lizard, but there just wasn't enough photo to work with. I like PhotosGuy's advice to take several different shots so that you have more of a choice in your cropping. (This example shows the downside of cropping too far and losing resolution and detail.)

HOSTED PHOTO

Just for your reference, my goals were to fill the frame, leave some leading space, and put the focal point (the eyes) at the inside of the Golden Spiral (sounds complicated but it's very similar to the rule of thirds). Anyway, my point is that this crop looks pretty good and there were virtually no "artistic" decisions made. I simply took the tightest crop possible without cutting off any lizard, left a little open space to the upper right, and then aligned the eyes on the spiral overlay in Lightroom. With most photos, following these basic rules gives a good no-thinking-required starting point for the final adjustments.

Also, could you please make us legal by turning on "Image Editing OK" in your profile? Thanks

Edit: regarding your question about how far can you crop without messing up the image, the image I attached is 600 x 293 pixels. If you want to print at 240 dots per inch, this image should only be printed at about 1.25" x 2.5" (barely big enough to use on a business card). However, if I had started with the original Raw file, it's likely that there would have been enough pixels to print at a larger size. If you had zoomed in on the lizard, the Raw file would have had enough information to allow printing at a very large size.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

PhotosGuy
75,867 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 29, 2012 10:07 |  #10

I think that's a good idea, but instead of saying, "I took a photo of a lizard", you might have said what your intention right at the beginning? What you gave us was not a photo of a lizard, but instead is a lizard in a landscape which needs a lot of cropping to be a "photo of a lizard".

So... a closer vertical shot from more to the right showing the drop-off below him with the busy background more out of focus would have been my choice.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 29, 2012 13:37 |  #11

It removes the elements to the right of the lizard showing it looking off into the distance off of the rock. That was my original intention, ...

The problem is that your lizard gets lost in the composition. (Squint your eyes and look at your photo - the general shapes and colors are kind of confusing and not very compelling.)

Now, if you replaced that background and had the lizard perched out over something a little more interesting, then you would have good justification for a looser crop. Another rule of composition is that your image should tell a story and shouldn't contain any more than necessary to tell that story.

HOSTED PHOTO

toastyphoto
302 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 29, 2012 15:41 |  #12

Here's my take on the crop. Leaves some visual interest on the right side of the image, and you can tell the lizard is contemplating where he's going to go next.

HOSTED PHOTO

5D II | 24-70 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 430 EX II x2 | PW ControlTL

sponsored links

1,706 views & 0 likes for this thread
BASIC cropping advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.