Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Feb 2012 (Friday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you respond to "Why Canon over Nikon?"

Bilsen
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 27, 2012 12:29 |  #61

I always give the same answer.

They are both good systems but Nikon had Ashton Kutcher while Canon had Maria Sharipova. Case Closed.;)

BILSEN (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D/T3i; 70D & 1D Mk2
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50 mm 1.4; 18-55 IS;55-250 IS; 85mm f1.4 Sekonic L-358; 580EX & (2) 430EX
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio​.com (external link)

sponsored links
London ­ Headshots
63 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 27, 2012 13:56 |  #62

I was a Canon fan for years, but next camera is a d800, because I'm totally sick of my 5DII's shadow noise and crappy autofocus.

I'll miss Canon's exquisite glass though, Nikon just can't compete in that area.

London Headshots (external link)
Like my Facebook Page (external link)
Headshot Photographer (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 27, 2012 15:58 |  #63

London Headshots wrote in post #13977198 (external link)
I was a Canon fan for years, but next camera is a d800, because I'm totally sick of my 5DII's shadow noise and crappy autofocus.

I'll miss Canon's exquisite glass though, Nikon just can't compete in that area.

Isnt it all about the glass? Bodies come and go.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 27, 2012 16:00 |  #64

fotoworx wrote in post #13977981 (external link)
Isnt it all about the glass? Bodies come and go.

I just wish Zeiss or Sigma would release a range of tilt-shift lenses. After all, both companies can produce superb optics, and Sigma's AF problems don't matter with a MF lens.

Then you could access the same good glass with either system.

JersFocus
572 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 27, 2012 19:18 |  #65

The reason I did was I flipped a coin after a ton of research, and invested into one system and stuck with it.

Gear & Feedback
Go Oilers!

JersFocus
572 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 27, 2012 19:19 |  #66

You can just tell the truth and say "You want the REAL answer, it is really quite simple.... https://photography-on-the.net."

Gear & Feedback
Go Oilers!

JersFocus
572 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 27, 2012 19:20 |  #67

You dont have to say "http://" thats just out of control.

;)

Gear & Feedback
Go Oilers!

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 27, 2012 20:51 |  #68

I got a great deal on my first DSLR, a Rebel XTi. By the time I had sold that, I invested a bit in lenses, so switching would have been expensive. So my next camera was a 30D (though the D70s was tempting me)...I still have moments where I consider switching, but meh...Canon's good enough...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 27, 2012 21:01 |  #69

First DSLR was a Rebel XT. Just stuck with it is all.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 27, 2012 22:56 |  #70

johngalt_ny wrote in post #13976676 (external link)
I always give the same answer.

They are both good systems but Nikon had Ashton Kutcher while Canon had Maria Sharipova. Case Closed.;)

Agreed :D

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 27, 2012 23:04 |  #71

I started with Canon back when I had the A-1.
I switched to Nikon with the F-4.
Switched to digital with the Canon 10D.
Went to 20D, 40D, 50D and then 5D MKII

I tried a couple other brand in between, and before the A-1 I play with all the cameras my school had to offer.

I really don't try or feel any need to explain. Both have good systems and Canon just happened to get the digital jump when I was looking to switch. They seem to jump back and forth, which is why I get tired of hearing all this Nikon D800 switching talk...

I doubt one brand will ever completely snuff the other out since they are both great lines of cameras and lenses. Where one looks better today, the other will beat tomorrow.

ajp_mirc
67 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 28, 2012 01:42 |  #72

I'd like to put my two cents in, if I may. First, I do not recommend anyone switch brands. If you are satisfied with what you have, stick with it. Switching can be expensive from a hardware perspective, but you also have aclamatization to deal with, that is learning new menu structures, buttons, and the nuances of each body/lens combination of the new system.
I started shooting Mirandas when I was in school (yes, I know that dates me). When I could afford it, I bought my dream camera, a Nikon. When I switched from film to digital, I did not study the market well and ended up with a Pentax -- bad choice as it turns out.
I then "switched" to Canon, first buying a T2i to get used to the Canon way of things and then progressing through every single body and almost every single lens made by Canon. I want to mention several of the notable ones: 7D, 5D, 5D II, every 1D through to the Mark IV. Although I agree with comments that it's not about the body, it's the lens that matters, I have to point out that you need a body to render what the lens transmits. I started getting disillusioned when I bought my second 5D Mark II ... bad AF, banding, blacks that were simply not as good as the original 5D.
Overall, my experience with Canon ended about one year ago. I got fed up of holding up any Canon body and looking at what it was lacking ... no Canon body ever felt like it was an extension of my arm/hand like most of the film cameras I owned.
My switch was quite lengthy, I had tons of L glass to sell, plus all the other accessories you accumulate over the years, and a couple of bodies.
I switched to the D3S, and started buying the best quality lenses I could. The D3S was overkill for what I shoot, so I sold it and ended up with a D700. Although other dSLRs came close, the D700 (both with and without the grip) feels like it belongs. I did not want to part with it -- ever. That is until the D800 was announced. I have now ordered a D800 ... one, because I like the latest technology; and two, because this a hybrid that blends across many boundaries. I, like most Nikonians (poll says 58% of us) would have preferred LOWER Mp. But if you look at the entire feature set and sample pictures posted, this promises to be a great camera. I chose the D800, and not the D800E because most are forgetting that if you use video at all, moire introduced by the D800E cannot be easily edited in videos.
That being said, there is much to be said for Canon's response. The 5DIII looks like an overall winner. I only hope that it can deliver the blacks and shadows of the original 5D, with good AF and no banding ...
PS. there are exceptions to every general rule. The longest focal length is need is approximately 300mm. I now use only FF cameras, and the shortest focal length I need is approx. 20 mm. I then fall into the trifecta of lenses and have a 24-70, 70-200 VRII, and an older Sigma 15-30 (the Sigma 15-30 I will never part with ... it's my absolute favorite). The lenses you need may dictate more about which brand to follow ...
And last, Enjoy the journey. Arguing about which brand is best is pointless ...

Andy

Ashura
117 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 28, 2012 05:09 |  #73

I did not choose Canon.
When I lost my trusty Sony P&S my husband offered me my first DSLR, which happened to be a Canon. I sticked to the brand when I changed bodies 'cos I didn't want to have to buy everything again, and was used to Canon controls (I can't use a Nikon DSLR when handed one).
Quite a few of my friends shoot Nikon, there's a lot of teasing going on, when one of us complains of something malfunctionning users of the other brand just say "well, it's a [Insert failing brand here]", but none of us takes it seriously. We all know that brands don't matter, and that a good camera is the one you know how to use.

flickr (external link)
50D, EF 24-105/4 L, EF 50/1.4, EF 35/2.0, EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5, 430EX, D-Lite 4 It kit

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,456 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 28, 2012 10:29 |  #74

My first DLSR was the 20D. It (along with the 5D0 was the cream of the crop) in 2005 as far as sensor technology was concerned. I have invested a lot of money in Canon lenses over the years. I am very happy with my system however if I were a pro and making good money off photography I would be looking at other systems when updates were available. Not that I would switch, but I would investigate.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

bstosnbata
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 28, 2012 20:37 |  #75

Simple, it's because the first dslr i ever held was a canon.

sponsored links

7,370 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you respond to "Why Canon over Nikon?"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.