Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 23:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark III Rumors

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 28, 2012 05:23 |  #4456

WA Tiger wrote in post #13981833 (external link)
Ah yes, very good thank you, I actually did think it was that....sorry....:oops:

There's a retrospective update that CPS can apply to 5DII's and 7D cameras that apply this design change.

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youҒre having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

sponsored links
WA ­ Tiger
682 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 28, 2012 05:24 as a reply to  @ post 13981833 |  #4457

Hahaha, see all the Canon loyalists are coming out in force now to fight the Nikon revolutionists....:lol:

WA ­ Tiger
682 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 28, 2012 05:26 |  #4458

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #13981840 (external link)
There's a retrospective update that CPS can apply to 5DII's and 7D cameras that apply this design change.

Ok now you got me....is this to do with a Patent??

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 28, 2012 05:29 |  #4459

WA Tiger wrote in post #13981847 (external link)
Ok now you got me....is this to do with a Patent??

Any official Canon repair centre (Authorised by Canon Professional Services) cab do the upgrade for a fee

"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youҒre having a successful life" (Ben Elton)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,695 posts
Joined May 2004

Feb 28, 2012 05:45 |  #4460

I disagree, The 5D was never targeted towards the MF folks. It was targeted at Video and wedding crowd instead, and it succeeded wildly in those genres.

There was no video when the 5D was released--there wasn't even Live View. Representatives from Canon Inc stated that the 5D was designed for "enthusiasts" who were still using film.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,695 posts
Joined May 2004

Feb 28, 2012 05:52 as a reply to  @ post 13979024 |  #4461

But if Canon really knew what Nikon was doing, how come the rumored specs of 5D3 seem so weak compared to the D800?

Probably because Canon had nothing to do with the rumored specs.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

WA ­ Tiger
682 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 28, 2012 06:45 |  #4462

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #13981852 (external link)
Any official Canon repair centre (Authorised by Canon Professional Services) cab do the upgrade for a fee

Ah there you go then, cheers.

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 28, 2012 06:50 |  #4463

Weak against the D800? Really? I'm suprised! Canon are currently going through a lens renaissance, their lens catalogue is being completely refreshed to deal with the future high resolution demands. Nikon haven't implemented such a program....a lot of their older lenses still use a worm drive, powered from a motor in the camera and far far from the more modern USM motors. I'm pretty sure in saying that a lot of Nikon's current lens catalogue just won't be up to resolving 36mp wide open and will need stopping down to resolve the higher detail and a higher shutter speed to minimise camera shake.
A 22mp full frame camera with top tier AF and metering is far more practical and appropriate camera for 99.99% of my photographic needs. The 5DIII allows me to use all my current cool Canon lenses in a new camera body with fresh enthusiasm. My only concearn is that I really hope Canon will still allow the use of interchangeable View screens. I love the Eg-S fine focus screen in both my 5DII's and it's sadly missing from the 7D....but available with the 60D. My current 5DII files are hitting 60mb when opened in PS....do I really need more detail? I have a number of really splendid A1+ prints from my Epson 7600 and the detail is all there. Naturally it's a camera that won't fit everyone's wants or needs but it's pretty close.
i've used my 5DII's in heavy rain, Cornish stormy landscapes (sea salt and all), ice and Snow in Slovenia, Dubai and Qatar....pretty much every type of weather and conditions and I've never fround the 5DII wanting in weather sealing. Sure, it's not quite as good as a 1D series and precautions need to be made. But even a 1D series isn't water proof.

Ricku
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 28, 2012 07:14 as a reply to  @ GMCPhotographics's post |  #4464
bannedPermanent ban

NR says there are still no press invites for March 2nd (which is on friday, only 3 days from now).

Kinda odd, but maybe there is nothing coming this week after all..

5D II 35L 135L 70-200 2.8L II Flickr (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,598 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 28, 2012 07:18 as a reply to  @ Ricku's post |  #4465

RDKirk wrote in post #13981894 (external link)
Probably because Canon had nothing to do with the rumored specs.

An excellent point. And let's hope it's true!

As others have noted, companies don't develop in isolation, so I can't believe Nikon/Canon wouldn't have one eye on what the other is doing. That said, never put it past a company to do something daft...

Out of interest, I do wonder how much money they make on on 5D class bodies from professionals vs. amateurs. Pros will buy what they need. Amateurs (I suspect) are more likely to be swayed by the 'biggest' numbers (it must be better than the competition if it's got more MP, more AF points, more FPS etc. etc.).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Ricku
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 28, 2012 07:21 |  #4466
bannedPermanent ban

momentz wrote in post #13981581 (external link)
Why is CR down again, is there something new leaked? :)

No, there is nothing but silence, and the guy who leaked the latest pics has vanished. He promised to post more but is nowhere to be seen.

And still no press invites. I dont think Canon would announce the 5D3 without gathering the press first.

EDIT: What the.. You ninja'd your post away!

5D II 35L 135L 70-200 2.8L II Flickr (external link)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 28, 2012 07:23 |  #4467

The guy got abducted by Canon Secret Service.

Ricku wrote in post #13982148 (external link)
No, there is nothing but silence, and the guy who leaked the latest pics has vanished. He promised to post more but is nowhere to be seen.

And still no press invites. I dont think Canon would announce the 5D3 without gathering the press first.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 28, 2012 07:32 |  #4468

I can't imagine that Canon would sneak in the new 5D without some major fanfare. Remember the 5DII announcement? There was a lot of hype generated by Canon leading up to the actual press release.

I would not give any credibility to a March 2 date - of course, Canon might have gotten totally blind-sided by the D800 specs that they are ashamed of their new 5D offering and are now releasing the camera through the backdoor:-)

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 28, 2012 07:48 |  #4469

The 5DII rumours pointed to a 16mp camera with most of it's older cousins specs unchanged, but got pulled when the D700 was released. A long while later, the 5DII came out with a 21mp chip. So who knows. It's possible that this camera will never see the shop shelves in it's current guise. It's also possible that it's the final locked product and awating a release date. It's all smoke and mirrors until Canon makes an announcement.

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 28, 2012 08:05 |  #4470

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #13982042 (external link)
Weak against the D800? Really? I'm suprised! Canon are currently going through a lens renaissance, their lens catalogue is being completely refreshed to deal with the future high resolution demands. Nikon haven't implemented such a program....a lot of their older lenses still use a worm drive, powered from a motor in the camera and far far from the more modern USM motors. I'm pretty sure in saying that a lot of Nikon's current lens catalogue just won't be up to resolving 36mp wide open and will need stopping down to resolve the higher detail and a higher shutter speed to minimise camera shake.

Don't worry all of Nikon's offerings will be crap compared to Canon. 36MP shot at 1.4.....pfft who are they kidding. ;)

Ricku wrote in post #13982148 (external link)

Are you talking about in the US? Didn't CR say events have been scheduled in other countries already?

sponsored links

748,147 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark III Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.