Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 27 Feb 2012 (Monday) 21:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First studio portrait C&C

rlineberg
168 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 27, 2012 21:02 |  #1

This is my first attempt at studio lighting. (I am using speedlights) How's the lighting, pose, and post processing?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i59.photobucket​.com …00/rlineberg/IM​G_0526.jpg (external link)

5D Mark II, 24-105 f/4, 580EXII, 2 Lumpro 160's.
website: http://robertlineberg.​smugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,705 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 27, 2012 21:15 |  #2

Not bad for a first time! The first thing I notice is that the lights are too hot on her face. She is over exposed on her foreheard and right cheek. The processing looks pretty good in that I cant tell what youve done, but it looks nice. Her eyes arent overcooked and her skin still has texture. Another thing I noticed while looking at her eyes is that the pupils are fairly large. Leaving a light on in the room or shining a low powered flashlight onto her will close them down without affecting the final image. Since you are killing all the ambient light by shooting at F4, ISO100 and 1/160th a second.

Often times, youll read that women should always be short lit. Here, you have her broad lit, meaning the side of her face showing the most skin is brighter than the side that it "shorter". These are the things that stood out most to me.

Take a look at this awesome link. Im sure youll find it useful. http://photocamel.com …les-good-portraiture.html (external link)

Shane
flickr (external link)

wizcreations
948 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 27, 2012 21:18 |  #3

Great advice Jak! One more thing to add is to attempt to get that catch-light higher up in her eyes.

My Gear / Feedback
Flickr (external link) / Facebook (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,705 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 28, 2012 09:31 |  #4

Wiz, I think the low catch light is from a fill light. It has overpowered the main and caused the side that should be in shadow, to be brighter. I see another higher and more properly positioned catch light but its smaller and faint.

What modifiers are you using rlineberg?

Shane
flickr (external link)

rlineberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
168 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 28, 2012 09:34 |  #5

Bounce white for key, shoot through for fill, bare bulb for hair light. I did not realize the fill was overpowering the key until later.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,705 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 28, 2012 09:41 |  #6

rlineberg wrote in post #13982745 (external link)
Bounce white for key, shoot through for fill, bare bulb for hair light. I did not realize the fill was overpowering the key until later.

Cool! Well, here is what I do, maybe it will help you and it will certainly stop you from ever overpowering your main with the fill. I set the fill first. Its the very first one I set so that I know what the darkest parts of my image will be. When I have that, its empowering because now I can view all the changes and additions in light in relation to there being this base exposure of just the fill.

Shane
flickr (external link)

rrookey
299 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 28, 2012 09:47 |  #7

I agree with Jak...

leetrys
214 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 28, 2012 10:25 |  #8

Jak, Great explanation. To the OP, nice capture

Rebel XTI, BG-E3, EF-S 18-55 kit lens,Tamaron 70-200 f2.8, and a nifty fifty,and a wish list full of L's!

"A smart man is not a man who knows all the answers, but one who knows where to find them!....Thats why I hangout here so much! :D

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 28, 2012 13:09 |  #9

As far as posing I would bring her chin down and her forehead forwards, this is not the most flattering pose for a woman. Second prior comments regarding the lighting.

http://andrew-richardson.net (external link)

rlineberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
168 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 28, 2012 18:39 |  #10

Thanks for the C&C, it really helps. Here is another one. Better I think, but need to work on some short lighting portraits still.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i59.photobucket​.com …ineberg/IMG_063​1-Edit.jpg (external link)

sponsored links

1,911 views & 0 likes for this thread
First studio portrait C&C
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.