Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Feb 2012 (Saturday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sigma 17 50mm time

this thread is locked
Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 28, 2012 12:44 |  #106

pkilla wrote in post #13983765 (external link)
Let's get things straight I might be a rookie photographer but ain't no kid

That was very rude and a lot of the stuff the British dude said was rude too no good feedback just hate....

A rookie photographer would just thank for constructive criticism and suggestions. A kid gets upset, becomes defensive, and screams "get off my thread!".

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

sponsored links
pkilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 28, 2012 12:54 |  #107

Lbsimon wrote in post #13983934 (external link)
A rookie photographer would just thank for constructive criticism and suggestions. A kid gets upset, becomes defensive, and screams "get off my thread!".

Lol I'm loving this forum yo what part of Boston u from
And what kind of photography do u do I see u got canon 60d
You shooting any video with that

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/ (external link)
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

saranw71
100 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 28, 2012 12:55 |  #108

I think it's normal for one to shoot everything in one's house when a new camera/lens is acquired.
I did that too. OP might have no time to go outside, I don't know.

Well, pkilla, you asked for honest feedback. jser gave you that although it's a little harsh.
With respect, if you're talking about rudeness, calling one "clown" is also considered rude.
You don't have to counter rudeness with rudeness IMHO.

For the feedback, you said it was practice shots so I wouldn't comment on how interesting is your subject.
Some images are blurry, not sure if it's because of focusing issue and/or too slow shutter speed. I'll have to remind you that OS has its limitations.
For static object, use 1/FL if possible. OS may help for about 4 stops.

Though I agree with most people here that you should find time to go outside and shoot. World's beautiful, you know.
If you can't go outside, I'd suggest trying something else other than "practice shots".
Be creative, check this forum out - https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=127

Regards,

-Saran W. :lol:
My Humble Site (external link)||550D||Σ17-50||10-22||18-55||Nifty fifty♥||CZJ 35 f/2.8||430EX II

pkilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 28, 2012 13:04 |  #109

saranw71 wrote in post #13984035 (external link)
I think it's normal for one to shoot everything in one's house when a new camera/lens is acquired.
I did that too. OP might have no time to go outside, I don't know.

Well, pkilla, you asked for honest feedback. jser gave you that although it's a little harsh.
With respect, if you're talking about rudeness, calling one "clown" is also considered rude.
You don't have to counter rudeness with rudeness IMHO.

For the feedback, you said it was practice shots so I wouldn't comment on how interesting is your subject.
Some images are blurry, not sure if it's because of focusing issue and/or too slow shutter speed. I'll have to remind you that OS has its limitations.
For static object, use 1/FL if possible. OS may help for about 4 stops.

Though I agree with most people here that you should find time to go outside and shoot. World's beautiful, you know.
If you can't go outside, I'd suggest trying something else other than "practice shots".
Be creative, check this forum out - https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=127

Thanks man but not all my shoots are out of focus how about the two cats with the flash
On In low light and how about the hat pic and the little bear pic maybe I'm just manually
focusing the wrong areas of my subject

jser
281 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 28, 2012 13:09 |  #110

pkilla wrote in post #13983707 (external link)
haha thanks felixs i know he doesn't mean no harm he's just a dumb British
And please print this I well have outdoor shoots for y'all soon
Appreciate all the hardcore feedback love and hate lol

Anglo American discord, where was I rude about the Americans in fact I stated clearly how I liked them, I have purchased much from the USA from Ebay and the service has been second to none, showing his poor and limited intelligence he states

dumb British

He'll be burning British the Union flag next :)

Sad.

www.jrs-photography.co.uk (external link)

saranw71
100 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 28, 2012 13:10 |  #111

Others covered those pictures quite well and I agreed with them. So I suggested that although with OS, you can't go that slow on shutter speed and that there are limitations.

-Saran W. :lol:
My Humble Site (external link)||550D||Σ17-50||10-22||18-55||Nifty fifty♥||CZJ 35 f/2.8||430EX II

pkilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 28, 2012 13:18 |  #112

It

jser wrote in post #13984147 (external link)
Anglo American discord, where was I rude about the Americans in fact I stated clearly how I liked them, I have purchased much from the USA from Ebay and the service has been second to none, showing his poor and limited intelligence he states

dumb British

He'll be burning British the Union flag next :)

Sad.

nah man I love British digital rev is one of my favorite British people lol

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 28, 2012 13:26 |  #113

DreDaze wrote in post #13983387 (external link)
he hasn't taken much of the advice that has been given to go outdoors, and get some other shots...

i think he is in fact just being honest...which is what the op asked for...nothing was said about being positive...but seriously we're talking blurry shots of a plum, a laptop, some phones...a couple out of focus turtles here...

what do you think of the shots sirrith? i haven't seen feedback about them from you, just comments about what others are saying...so give us your honest opinion...

I simply don't think a newbie should have to deal with the seemingly aggressive tone of some people replying to this thread. I don't have much feedback to give other than what has already been mentioned i.e. go outside and take proper shots, which is why I haven't bothered posting any feedback as such. But I do agree that he should try and act on what constructive feedback he has been given.

To be perfectly honest, they look a lot like the shots I took when I first picked up a camera.

And I did give some advice; external flash ;)

Now to not appear to be avoiding your question, what do I think of the shots:
A lot of them are underexposed, so OP needs to work on his exposure a bit. Composition is lacking, most shots have the subject smack dab in the centre. They're also all taken from above the subject, looking down, OP you should try and get on the same level as your subject, it does make a difference especially with animals. Shutter speeds are way too low, OS isn't there to be relied on, its for when you can't squeeze any more SS from your camera and don't have a tripod handy (at least, in my opinion it is). For live subjects, 1/125 SS minimum is my recommendation. I already commented regarding flash. Focusing on the eyes as has already been mentioned, keep practicing, that will come in time, and sometimes there's not much you can do about it because of the nature of the AF system.
Oh, and like nccb said, please try and improve the quality of your posts in terms of grammar etc... It makes it much easier for the rest of us to read and take you seriously.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

jser
281 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 28, 2012 13:41 |  #114

There is one thing we can ALL be VERY proud of, it is because of the USA and GB that we have the freedom to speak openly as we do here, and the USA and GB have brought freedom of speech to many keep up the good work America.

Thailand, the above post, what a wonderful land, my dream has always been to visit, it is glorious.

Then China and New Zealand.

www.jrs-photography.co.uk (external link)

pkilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 28, 2012 13:43 |  #115

Sirrith wrote in post #13984292 (external link)
I simply don't think a newbie should have to deal with the seemingly aggressive tone of some people replying to this thread. I don't have much feedback to give other than what has already been mentioned i.e. go outside and take proper shots, which is why I haven't bothered posting any feedback as such. But I do agree that he should try and act on what constructive feedback he has been given.

To be perfectly honest, they look a lot like the shots I took when I first picked up a camera.

And I did give some advice; external flash ;)

Now to not appear to be avoiding your question, what do I think of the shots:
A lot of them are underexposed, so OP needs to work on his exposure a bit. Composition is lacking, most shots have the subject smack dab in the centre. They're also all taken from above the subject, looking down, OP you should try and get on the same level as your subject, it does make a difference especially with animals. Shutter speeds are way too low, OS isn't there to be relied on, its for when you can't squeeze any more SS from your camera and don't have a tripod handy (at least, in my opinion it is). For live subjects, 1/125 SS minimum is my recommendation. I already commented regarding flash. Focusing on the eyes as has already been mentioned, keep practicing, that will come in time, and sometimes there's not much you can do about it because of the nature of the AF system.
Oh, and like nccb said, please try and improve the quality of your posts in terms of grammar etc... It makes it much easier for the rest of us to read and take you seriously.

Well said thank you

cheezz
172 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 28, 2012 13:51 |  #116

I'm just gonna say a big +1 here for what jser is saying.
OP, dude go out and take stop real rookie photographer pictures. Turtles and apples, etc, images are for kids. Show the world what your lens is capable of doing. Just my 2 pixels.

Canon 7D // EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM, EF 85mm f1.8 USM, 50mm 1.8 II Nifty Fifty, EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM kit lens, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430EX II
Added: EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6
Added: EF 70-200mm f4L IS
Added: 1.4 II TC

katodog
Goldmember
4,122 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 28, 2012 14:08 |  #117

It must just be me but I can't understand the logic behind these posts. Quite frankly, who gives a crap what he shoots, the advice you guys are giving is not good advice. And the pompous egotistical nonsense, it's really got to stop.

Pkilla, here's the best advice anybody can give you, and it's not meant to hurt, it's meant to help:

Learn the basics of lighting. None of your shots in this thread are good examples of good skill and knowledge, but it's not a bad thing. Most of the egos around here forget that they started on stupid like everyone else, and they're not the photographic gods they think they are. I prefer to offer good, honest information, and helpful advice, when I can. Learn the basics of lighting and I'll bet your images will greatly improve.

I just got my 17-50mm last week and so far all I've shot is stuff in the house. And believe me folks, I'm not lacking in skill or knowledge. Sometimes people want to stay inside, sometimes people want to shoot what's right in front of them. It's not your place to tell them they can't, and it's not your place to treat them like crap for it.

Pkilla, if I were to show you shots from my lens, you would see no difference between my subjects and yours; I basically just grabbed stuff around me and shot it. The difference you will see is the lighting. Even with a wide aperture lighting has to be good enough for the camera to see your subject. Using a high ISO helps but sometimes isn't enough. My suggestion is this: Learn the basics of lighting.

If you don't have off-camera flash then try something simple, like shooting in the bathroom. Most bathrooms have good lighting, and since it's a confined space the lighting is brighter than other rooms. Put a subject on the bathroom counter and set your camera to AV. Pick an ISO around ISO400, pick f/2.8, and see what the camera picks for shutter speed. Or, do the same thing but do it directly under a desk lamp. Don't worry about color temperature or white balance, just set to AV, set your ISO and aperture, and see what happens.

Even with a wide aperture and even with stabilization there's still got to be a certain level of lighting for the shutter speed to be adequate enough to freeze motion, whether it's subject motion or your body motion. At wider apertures the slightest motion you make can make a huge difference in your images. The depth of field is small, so any waver or sway that your body makes can easily change the focus point, which can make your subject look out of focus. In low light put the camera on a tripod, set the camera settings you want, then take a shot. Then, under the same conditions shoot the same shot hand-held. See how much difference there is between hand-held and tripod-mounted, you'd be surprised to know there could be a big difference.

I'll stop for now, test out what I've said, see what happens. There's nothing wrong with posting images that people look down on, it's the only way we'll learn and get better. It's not the stellar shots we take that makes us better, it's the crappy ones. But, try out some of the stuff I've said, see how it works. Make sure you always have adequate lighting for the shots you're taking.

And a good trick if you don't have off-camera flash is something I learned recently on this forum. It may sound silly but it actually works pretty dang good: Using the pop-up flash, hold a spoon under it so the flash bounces into the room instead of hitting your subject. See how it changes the whole dynamic of your shots.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 28, 2012 14:11 |  #118

pkilla wrote in post #13984015 (external link)
Lol I'm loving this forum yo what part of Boston u from
And what kind of photography do u do I see u got canon 60d
You shooting any video with that

I live in Boston Metrowest.

I like two types of photography - the city and the nature. Boston is a beautiful place for a photographer, that's why so many people here suggested you to go out and shoot. And of course Europe. And I like nature trails in Audubon Society parks.

No, I do not do video. Have not even tried it.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,322 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2012 14:41 |  #119

Good post katodog.

6D, 5D, 7D, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

pkilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 28, 2012 15:18 |  #120

katodog wrote in post #13984585 (external link)
It must just be me but I can't understand the logic behind these posts. Quite frankly, who gives a crap what he shoots, the advice you guys are giving is not good advice. And the pompous egotistical nonsense, it's really got to stop.

Pkilla, here's the best advice anybody can give you, and it's not meant to hurt, it's meant to help:

Learn the basics of lighting. None of your shots in this thread are good examples of good skill and knowledge, but it's not a bad thing. Most of the egos around here forget that they started on stupid like everyone else, and they're not the photographic gods they think they are. I prefer to offer good, honest information, and helpful advice, when I can. Learn the basics of lighting and I'll bet your images will greatly improve.

I just got my 17-50mm last week and so far all I've shot is stuff in the house. And believe me folks, I'm not lacking in skill or knowledge. Sometimes people want to stay inside, sometimes people want to shoot what's right in front of them. It's not your place to tell them they can't, and it's not your place to treat them like crap for it.

Pkilla, if I were to show you shots from my lens, you would see no difference between my subjects and yours; I basically just grabbed stuff around me and shot it. The difference you will see is the lighting. Even with a wide aperture lighting has to be good enough for the camera to see your subject. Using a high ISO helps but sometimes isn't enough. My suggestion is this: Learn the basics of lighting.

If you don't have off-camera flash then try something simple, like shooting in the bathroom. Most bathrooms have good lighting, and since it's a confined space the lighting is brighter than other rooms. Put a subject on the bathroom counter and set your camera to AV. Pick an ISO around ISO400, pick f/2.8, and see what the camera picks for shutter speed. Or, do the same thing but do it directly under a desk lamp. Don't worry about color temperature or white balance, just set to AV, set your ISO and aperture, and see what happens.

Even with a wide aperture and even with stabilization there's still got to be a certain level of lighting for the shutter speed to be adequate enough to freeze motion, whether it's subject motion or your body motion. At wider apertures the slightest motion you make can make a huge difference in your images. The depth of field is small, so any waver or sway that your body makes can easily change the focus point, which can make your subject look out of focus. In low light put the camera on a tripod, set the camera settings you want, then take a shot. Then, under the same conditions shoot the same shot hand-held. See how much difference there is between hand-held and tripod-mounted, you'd be surprised to know there could be a big difference.

I'll stop for now, test out what I've said, see what happens. There's nothing wrong with posting images that people look down on, it's the only way we'll learn and get better. It's not the stellar shots we take that makes us better, it's the crappy ones. But, try out some of the stuff I've said, see how it works. Make sure you always have adequate lighting for the shots you're taking.

And a good trick if you don't have off-camera flash is something I learned recently on this forum. It may sound silly but it actually works pretty dang good: Using the pop-up flash, hold a spoon under it so the flash bounces into the room instead of hitting your subject. See how it changes the whole dynamic of your shots.

This is some great advice and feedback i appreciate everything you said,
This is exactly what I needed to hear thank you is good to know we got
People like you on this site thanks man that shishhh was deep and real.

sponsored links

13,287 views & 0 likes for this thread
sigma 17 50mm time
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.