Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 27 Feb 2012 (Monday) 05:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nokia 808 PureView 41 Megapixel Camera

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Feb 27, 2012 17:54 |  #46

benesotor wrote in post #13978673 (external link)
Here are some sample images:
http://www.extremetech​.com …digital-camera-revolution (external link)

Pretty impressive if you ask me. Just a shame it doesn't run Windows Phone. Hopefuly Nokia will do what they did with the N9 and rebrand it (Lumia) when WP updates again.

They took it to some Brazilian Favelas for testing? Odd choice. ;)

Maybe these are being built by FoxConn in Brazil, like the new iPhones.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

sponsored links
benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 27, 2012 18:02 |  #47

AngryCorgi wrote in post #13978759 (external link)
They took it to some Brazilian Favelas for testing? Odd choice. ;)

Maybe these are being built by FoxConn in Brazil, like the new iPhones.

I heard Nokia get blind orphaned children of the Favelas to put each of the 41 million pixels in by hand.
Totally inhumane if you ask me... but to be honest if the signal/noise ratio is good I can look past the exploitation.

stylinred
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2012 23:43 as a reply to  @ benesotor's post |  #48

Hi guys used to be the occasional lurker on here and am now a registered member :D (the captcha to register is very painstaking to discern btw ;))

Im a huge camera phone fan and I currently have a Nokia N8 so I was eagerly awaiting the news of this device

Im not sure about the rules of posting links yet (to youtube) but hopefully i wont be breaking any by providing this link, its an interview with Nokias head camera guy and he discusses the sensor somewhat and then shows the Camera UI which has a mode for "pros" which allows for a lot of settings you guys might be interested in seeing it

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=ZheH4PjEows (external link)

the ND Filter has an on/off option (the N8 has an ND Filter but no option to shut it off) and bracketing is built in so you dont need a 3rd party HDR application (like you did on the N8)

lots of cool little options in there imo

and a side note I know many aren't fans of SymbianOS anymore after the N97 debacle but this isn't the same OS (it'd be like comparing Win95 to Windows 8) and even GSMArena calls 'Belle' "almost revolutionary"

I've got Belle running on my Nokia N8 and it runs wonderfully and the N8 has only 680mhz and 256mb ram +gpu

The 808 has 1.3ghz 512mb ram + a GPU + a chip for the Sensor to control scaling

Quit excited over this and looking forward to joining in the community :o

Cromfel
46 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 28, 2012 04:20 |  #49

bkdc wrote in post #13977851 (external link)
ISO 800 is NOT that impressive, even though it's impressive for a phone.

http://3.s.img-dpreview.com …a-808-pureview.jpg?v=1354 (external link)

You gotta be kidding! For the size of the device I would say thats insanely good.

Very good interview. A bit lenghty but towards the end the guy introduces all the "creative" settings you can do with the camera. Thats nice.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,770 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 28, 2012 04:34 as a reply to  @ Cromfel's post |  #50

Phenomenal. Run that through noise ninja or whatever you got one fantastic pic.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

DarthVader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 28, 2012 07:04 |  #51

+1.

Cromfel wrote in post #13981719 (external link)
You gotta be kidding! For the size of the device I would say thats insanely good.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 28, 2012 16:04 |  #52

Note that the images are only 5 mega pixel. The 41 is used and only 5 extracted. This = 1 MB picture size and good quality.

DRH

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Feb 28, 2012 16:15 |  #53

David Ransley wrote in post #13985339 (external link)
Note that the images are only 5 mega pixel. The 41 is used and only 5 extracted. This = 1 MB picture size and good quality.

There are apparently several size options. 8MP and 5MP are options, but according to the publishings I've seen, you can still extract a full 38MP shot, at least at ISO55 and ISO100 (per the samples available).

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

Cromfel
46 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 29, 2012 05:34 as a reply to  @ AngryCorgi's post |  #54

Judging from the all the youtube comments this phone will end up being great success. When you compare DSLR and this kind of phone, you end up in situation that for the actual daily use of people to "document their life" as the trend seems to be going, This phone will do exactly that. It will never compete with the pro camera market obviously, but for long people had to stick with proper DSLR to make convincing videos and photos or just the hazzle to carry one. Un necesary for daily life, only photogs are OK with it truly. And we ought to know that only thing that matters is how the end result look.

I was personally thinking of going 60D just to have video recording possibility. But this phone got me thinking twice how I want to do it. 40D for photos and 808 for videos of the little events here and there? Maybe...

http://www.youtube.com …lA4XIvUeU&featu​re=related (external link)

Image quality is so freaking crispy on this. Throw there a stand and you are ready to capture some nice clips.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,379 posts
Gallery: 562 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 29, 2012 15:15 |  #55

I use my iphone for when i need video, Not my 7D..

Sure the 7D is better quality but its a lot less "easy to use" for a quick video to chuck up on youtube when im discussing lenses and such...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Cromfel
46 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 29, 2012 17:06 |  #56

KenjiS wrote in post #13992035 (external link)
I use my iphone for when i need video, Not my 7D..

Sure the 7D is better quality but its a lot less "easy to use" for a quick video to chuck up on youtube when im discussing lenses and such...

Exactly cutting to my point. I have the feeling that the analyst critic and how the shares dropped was mistake from people not understanding the true goal of the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com …qOIiGU5xM&featu​re=related (external link)

Judging the night scene even with moving objects like car Im still impressed.

audipat
33 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 04, 2012 10:29 as a reply to  @ Cromfel's post |  #57

definitely impressed, nokia has just sold this to me! Will be getting one when it comes out.

johnz
529 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 04, 2012 19:12 |  #58

I find this tech simply amazing, reading the comments of the managers and developers who have spent 5 years working on the device and listening to people, i think this will be better than any camera hone or compact. And what does it say about camera industry if a mobile device company can create this kind of device before they do it, all cameras we see seem to follow very small incremental improvement path - kind of makes you wonder if they are holding back..

Anyway, looking at samples and the fact that Nokia will even provide lens caps and tripod for this device, i find it very hard to justify a compact camera instead of this. The 5mp clean pure view image tech is much more usable IMO to most consumers than poor noisy 12mp that the compacts are now producing.

Of course pros will always need their dslrs for number of reasons, but consumer compacts might be history soon, now that also good zoom capability is available on a hand set.

Interesting times, lets see what apple does :)

- Tuomas Gustafsson
My smugmug (external link) - ( still on the works )
My gear list/ DOF calculator for Nokia phones
With Canon you can... spend all your money on glass.

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 04, 2012 20:40 as a reply to  @ johnz's post |  #59

That'll be the nail in the coffin of the point and shoot camera then :)

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

PabloW
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 14, 2012 03:20 |  #60

Hi, just registered here (the captcha sucks I agree :P), wanted to read some opinions of the new 808 from some people who know what the heck are they talking about hehe. So I'll just say thanks and please keep going :P

Here's a cool link from gsmarena, explaining how the camera works on this phone: http://blog.gsmarena.c​om …-camera-sensor-explained/ (external link)

Here's a video showing deeply the camera options: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=SPASkr5C8mU (external link)

Audio recording comparison: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=p8RHQC0eS_k (external link)

1080p recording: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=pW7GcLiefNo&h​d=1 (external link)
(Nokia told they were already aware of the shaking problems and they havent fixed that yet since this was only a prototype, and was going to be all ok for the final version)

And here some nice general review about the phone:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=llTlu1RCwn8 (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=SDp8GvK5Sj0 (external link)

Enjoy!

sponsored links

15,635 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nokia 808 PureView 41 Megapixel Camera
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.