Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 04:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The OLDER Photographers' thread...

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2012 08:18 |  #5161

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13979667 (external link)
Supposedly chickens get tougher the older they are (like anything?). I have chickens starting their third year at the moment. Only about half of the original flock, with more pullets bought every spring, and the occasional hen that is allowed to be broody hatching out another half dozen here and there.

We have some "free range cats" on our front porch. We're pretty sure they are a sister and brother that someone couldn't find homes for. When she went into her first heat and they knew what that meant they just drove out to a dirt road, dumped out the box and hoped they'd be able to figure their way out of it fast enough... :(

I'm calling her "football" at the moment because of the way she is shaped lately. ;)

So, you're saying that if I were to fall into the hands of cannibals, I'd be good for, what, jerky?

sponsored links
wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 28, 2012 12:39 |  #5162

Ricardo222 wrote in post #13980085 (external link)
You are not wrong there Wuzzi!

My dogs are totally different in personality, and at the moment I have an "installation" in our spare room consisting of a whole lot lof eucalypt branches in water containers giving sustenance to 12 hungry Emperor Gum Moth caterpillars...and even THEY have different personalities. Some are adventurous and go "crawl-about" all the time while others are home-bodies and stay put. Some are docile and will crawl on to a twig when I need to move them, while others get all stroppy!

I'm photographing their life history, and while it might be said that I have removed them from the wild and that may not be a good thing, the rest of the tribe on that tree were wiped out by a new wasp that has appeared in the last year or so. They will be released to the wild when they hatch out of their cocoons next summer.

Yikes... are they becoming endangered because of the wasp? You might end up wanting to keep a few back every year... :(

It is interesting... I always tell people that if you give an animal the room to be itself you will discover a lot more personality. Mr Twisty's changes since adoption are honestly one of the more amazing parts of my pet journey, with the most fascinating being Maria, my (now gone :() pet chicken.

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 28, 2012 12:41 |  #5163

20droger wrote in post #13982333 (external link)
So, you're saying that if I were to fall into the hands of cannibals, I'd be good for, what, jerky?

Um. Maybe?

I guess that if they first roasted, then boiled in a tomato-type preparation (marinara or BBQ sauce) they would be able to tenderize you. :)

(that's what we do when we find some tough beef - we recook it in a ton of BBQ sauce)

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,926 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 28, 2012 13:19 |  #5164

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13983898 (external link)
Um. Maybe?

I guess that if they first roasted, then boiled in a tomato-type preparation (marinara or BBQ sauce) they would be able to tenderize you. :)

(that's what we do when we find some tough beef - we recook it in a ton of BBQ sauce)

Yum! Barbecued Friar!

:lol:

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

richardfox
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 28, 2012 13:24 |  #5165

20droger wrote in post #13982333 (external link)

I just turned 64, so I wouldn't even make it as jerky. I'd probably be a tough test (no pun intended) for a wood chipper! :p

Canon 50D gripped, EF 50/1.8, EF-S 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 100/2.8 macro, 100-400L, 300 2.8L, Canon 500 f8 mirror with chipped EF mount, 580EX, 1.4x and 2x Canon teleconverters, Canon EF Life-Size converter.

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,442 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2012 13:33 |  #5166

richardfox wrote in post #13984274 (external link)
I just turned 64, so I wouldn't even make it as jerky. I'd probably be a tough test (no pun intended) for a wood chipper! :p

You reckon you'd need a pretty darn sharp steak knife Richard? I'm not far behind you I can tell you. I think Wuzzi is worried about me because she's worried I will eat her cats!

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 28, 2012 14:19 |  #5167

L.J.G. wrote in post #13984350 (external link)
You reckon you'd need a pretty darn sharp steak knife Richard? I'm not far behind you I can tell you. I think Wuzzi is worried about me because she's worried I will eat her cats!

or my chickens... :(

You can call me Wuzzi

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 28, 2012 14:24 |  #5168

In the sledge-room at Scott Base, our Antarctic research station was a nicely made sign that read..."Chose your sledging mates with care, you may have to eat them." (I doubled as Project Photographer and Huskie manager for a year back in the early 1970s.)

Growing old disgracefully!

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,442 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2012 14:26 |  #5169

Ricardo222 wrote in post #13984694 (external link)
In the sledge-room at Scott Base, our Antarctic research station was a nicely made sign that read..."Chose your sledging mates with care, you may have to eat them." (I doubled as Project Photographer and Huskie manager for a year back in the early 1970s.)

Haha, oh dear, I wonder just how much of an element of truth is actually in that statement Ricardo!

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,081 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 28, 2012 14:43 |  #5170

Now where did I leave my pants again? This age thing doesn't agree with my delicate constitution.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 28, 2012 15:24 |  #5171

L.J.G. wrote in post #13984707 (external link)
Haha, oh dear, I wonder just how much of an element of truth is actually in that statement Ricardo!

Fortunately I never had to put it to the test, Lloyd. Our Senior Scientist of that year lives here in the Nelson area...we sometimes have a chuckle about a close call we had when caught in a blizzard on a mid winter run with the dogs. (Our rations lasted the distance!)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 28, 2012 15:29 |  #5172

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13983884 (external link)
Yikes... are they becoming endangered because of the wasp? You might end up wanting to keep a few back every year... :(

It is interesting... I always tell people that if you give an animal the room to be itself you will discover a lot more personality. Mr Twisty's changes since adoption are honestly one of the more amazing parts of my pet journey, with the most fascinating being Maria, my (now gone :() pet chicken.

I'm not sure about their viability in the long term, Wuzzi, but I doubt there will be much concern as the Emperor Moth itself is an Australian import. (We love it all the more for that, or course. We love all our Aussie imports, except the marsupial possum!)

As for me going through the trauma of herding caterpillars every year...I think my dear lady might boot them and me out!

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2012 15:55 |  #5173

richardfox wrote in post #13984274 (external link)

Youngster!

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2012 15:57 |  #5174

Chet wrote in post #13984816 (external link)
Now where did I leave my pants again? This age thing doesn't agree with my delicate constitution.

Or your short-term memory.

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 28, 2012 16:06 |  #5175

Ricardo222 wrote in post #13985082 (external link)
I'm not sure about their viability in the long term, Wuzzi, but I doubt there will be much concern as the Emperor Moth itself is an Australian import. (We love it all the more for that, or course. We love all our Aussie imports, except the marsupial possum!)

As for me going through the trauma of herding caterpillars every year...I think my dear lady might boot them and me out!

That's a pity. I probably wouldn't let my hubby raise poisonous snakes in the house, but a few harmless caterpillars probably wouldn't bother me.

You can call me Wuzzi

sponsored links

691,412 views & 164 likes for this thread
The OLDER Photographers' thread...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.