Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 23:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark III Rumors

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 29, 2012 05:38 |  #4621
bannedPermanent ban

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #13988871 (external link)
Initially, I was dissapointed with the apparent softness from my 7D, especially when compared to the output from the 5DII. But, with some carefull sharpening and contrast boost, it's got plenty of detail. I'm not sure the AA filter destroys detail, I think it mostly lowers micro contrast more. A tad sharpening and a localised contrast boost seems to really help buff the images to a very fine level.

The AA filter does destroy fine detail, however sharpening will give the illusion of bringing back some of this detail.
The softness isn't my biggest issue though, it's the effect on micro contrast and a 'muddy' look that is more apparent for me. Yes you can give the files a contrast boost to minimise this, but you can never really get back that natural 'crisp' look of an image (that's why I think so many people love the original 5D). Also this is allot of time spent in PP that shouldn't have to be, and all the extra sharpening and contrast boosting has a negative effect on noise, and while the 7d in this instance doesn't suffer near as much banding as the 5D's, it doesn't exactly have very pleasing grain (it kind of look digital, similar to jpg artefacts).

As for all the other aspects of the 7D, yep I agree, it's a great body, and I would have purchased one if the IQ was better.

When the 7D first came out, I thought it was largely the glass holding it back due to the pixel density, but since the advent of AA'less crops, you can see that isn't the case at all, just look how much detail the nex 7 can resolve compared to even the 5Dii, and the 5Dii also has the FF advantage of less magnification allowing lenses to appear sharper.

Personally my next camera will likely not have an AA filter if it's shown that moire isn't a common occurrence at weddings etc. I generally shoot wide open with primes so I doubt it would be an issue but will wait and see.

Wedding photography (external link)

sponsored links
RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 29, 2012 05:42 |  #4622
bannedPermanent ban

Nifkin wrote in post #13988928 (external link)
Ha! Funny this gets brought up; I was just getting up to speed with this thread by reading the last five pages and I was thinking this too; Thing is, Vinny, that over-using that kind of sign-off kind of renders it a little meaningless and perhaps a tad insincere (not at all saying you are, just saying that that is how it could be the inferred...)

+1

All the very best
Rhys

Wedding photography (external link)

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 29, 2012 06:20 |  #4623

jdizzle wrote in post #13988869 (external link)
LOL! Good thing I have a camera on preorder. ;)

That's not much better.....is it April yet? :(

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 29, 2012 06:22 |  #4624

Another agonising day that's passing far slower than it should....how long until friday?

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youҒre having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

bionicle
145 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 29, 2012 06:35 |  #4625

Not long now..if there is no announcement on Friday or over the weekend then I'm going to badger the Canon stand at Focus on Imaging (4th - 7th March) for an answer :-)

5Dii gripped, 7D gripped, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 24-105mm f4L, 17-40mm f4L, 100mm f2.8L Macro, Sigma 35mm f1.4, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII x2

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 29, 2012 06:45 |  #4626

if anyone comes out of this thread, it's that Shadowblade gets some sort of custom title incorporating anti-alias....

all the bery vest,
narlus

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 29, 2012 06:45 |  #4627

I think the 5DIII images show how the new camera will be styled. It's sort of halfway between a 7D and 5DII with a bit of 60D thrown in. It's not as hansome as the 5DII, which looks very nice to my eyes.
I'd love the see the 5DIII with it's new grip attached.

"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youҒre having a successful life" (Ben Elton)

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 29, 2012 06:46 |  #4628

narlus wrote in post #13989095 (external link)
if anyone comes out of this thread, it's that Shadowblade gets some sort of custom title incorporating anti-alias....

all the bery vest,
narlus

And that we should all be putting
"all the very best" in our posts from now on ;)

cherrymoon
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 29, 2012 06:56 |  #4629

A french famous forum has already announced it : http://www.eos-numerique.com/ (external link)

Not much details but the guys, working in Canon, claimed that the specs listed are not the only one surprise. A 590EX flash gun is coming, and the FF line will evolve a lot this year (with 3 cameras)... !!

Trust them, they announced the 5D2 on time, with right specs.

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 29, 2012 06:57 |  #4630

Agreed, subjectively 5D III photo's look a feminine to me, the mark II still got it's syle.
The front left body rubber looks... odd to me.
But I'm looking forward for it's performance, don't judge book by it's cover, right?

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

WA ­ Tiger
682 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 29, 2012 07:09 |  #4631

cherrymoon wrote in post #13989136 (external link)
A french famous forum has already announced it : http://www.eos-numerique.com/ (external link)

Not much details but the guys, working in Canon, claimed that the specs listed are not the only one surprise. A 590EX flash gun is coming, and the FF line will evolve a lot this year (with 3 cameras)... !!

Wish I could understand French.....:lol:

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 29, 2012 07:13 |  #4632

dgrPhotos wrote in post #13989030 (external link)
That's not much better.....is it April yet? :(

Hehe! Patience young sith lord. ;) The Death Star wasn't built in one day ya know. ;)

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,576 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 29, 2012 07:13 |  #4633

cherrymoon wrote in post #13989136 (external link)

Sounds like they read Canon Rumors.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

cherrymoon
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 29, 2012 07:16 |  #4634

WA Tiger wrote in post #13989181 (external link)

Wish I could understand English.....use Google translator !

I can help you, here are the main info not listed on Canonrumors :
-590EX
-3 FF bodies this year
-"6<fps<7"
-batteries & grip of the 5Dmk2

I think specs are easily understandable.

5D2 users don't look very satisfied about this simple ugrapde at "3250€ street price"

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

wdwpsu
625 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 29, 2012 07:16 |  #4635

WA Tiger wrote in post #13989181 (external link)

Translation from French:

I confirm that Friday, March 2 Canon will make his announcement of the new 5DMKIII Some features: 22 Million Pixels 6-7 frames / sec Battery LP-E6 New AF faster Various improvements in the video Price: + / - € 3250 Update 29/02

And then if you read the thread, it's a bunch of people saying that Canon is whacked for that price and no way they'll buy it.

I'm sure in a couple days they'll be discussing AA filters on the 7D too.  :p

Wedding and Event Photography ∙ Orlando, Florida ∙ DSWfoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

755,991 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark III Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.