Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Feb 2012 (Friday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you respond to "Why Canon over Nikon?"

Jon_Doh
876 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 29, 2012 08:05 |  #76

When I got into photography back in the film days I wanted a Nikon because everybody I shot with had one. When I went to the camera store and tried out the cameras I liked the way the Nikons felt, sturdy and solid in the hand. I liked how fast their autofocus was compared to Canon's and how it just snapped into focus. But when it came down to which one to buy I got a lot more bang for my buck going the Canon route. Comparable Canon bodies and lenses were a lot cheaper.

When it was time to upgrade I went through the same process, had the same experience but ended up with the same conclusion and sticking with Canon. Now, I've got so much invested in L glass and high end bodies I'm married to the system and won't change.

The interesting thing now is that with the new generation of Canon bodies and lenses that have been announced they are priced considerably more than their Nikon equivalent. It's interesting how that aspect has changed. While I never cared a lot about all the buttons, switches and dials that littered the Nikon bodies it's interesting to notice how the Nikons (ie, D4, D800) are becoming more like Canon. It seems that they have removed some of the dials and switches and replaced them with buttons and menu selections.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I'm happy with my Canon cameras and lenses. And that's what counts isn't it?

I use a Kodak Brownie

sponsored links
shack
515 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 29, 2012 09:13 |  #77

Jon_Doh wrote in post #13989420 (external link)
Anyway, the bottom line is that I'm happy with my Canon cameras and lenses. And that's what counts isn't it?

It is for me.

60D - EF 50mm f/1.8 - EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS - EF 300mm f/4 L - Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye - Canon Speedlite 430EX - PowerShot G12

"A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart, and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it; it is in one word, effective." - Irving Penn

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 29, 2012 09:27 |  #78

I have long ago stopped giving advice to people on what to get, whenever i get the question I just say that i don't matter anymore its like choosing between an AUDI or BMW, Nissan vs Mitsubishi ...

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

wildcart
243 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 01, 2012 04:35 |  #79

I made the jump to Canon when I still had my Sony 717 and Sony announced the 828. The optics where crap and I wanted something better. So at that time Canon was way better then Nikon. Nikon didn't even had FF at that time and I loved the collection lenses from Canon.

GEAR LIST
www.wildcart.nl (external link)Flickr (external link)Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,148 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 01, 2012 05:13 |  #80

"I got all Canon gear free ;)"

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

Jon_Doh
876 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 01, 2012 07:30 |  #81

As a postscript to my previous post, I'd like to add that I really like the specs and new features of the 1dx. I've seen a hands on with the new D4 and although it is an improvement on the D3, I think Canon has really leapt over it with this upgrade.

I use a Kodak Brownie

mtavel
149 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2012 18:20 as a reply to  @ post 13971134 |  #82

I just say that Canon lenses are great quality and generally a bit cheaper than Nikon's, also, it's REALLY easy to find Canon accessories. Seems the choice of aftermarket products for Nikon is a bit smaller.

Tavel Photography (external link)

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 03, 2012 18:36 |  #83

Nathan wrote in post #13975139 (external link)
I have to respect my elders - so I was taught and thus hold my tongue.

An old friend of my father-in-law's came to visit and he happened to have picked up photography in his retirement age. His composition isn't half bad, but he relies heavily on Auto mode. Putting that aside, he also happened to shoot Canon. He makes a comment, "Canon is a good camera, but to be professional you have to shoot with Nikon."

Wandering thru a Best Buy one day, I noticed a woman looking at the DSLR display. She was very attractive and I debated striking up a conversation. Before I could, a "sales person" (and I use the term loosely) approached her asking if she needed any help. Being curious I discretely evesdropped just a bit and heard her explain that her son was starting little league and she wanted a better camera to take pictures at his games than her little pocket camera. When it came to which brand she should buy, the sales geek announced, with great authority, "For sports you want a Nikon, Canon is more for portraits and scenic photography, but all the pros shooting sports use Nikon".
I don't know what she bought, I had to leave before I actually opened my mouth and said something, but it just wasn't my place.
And in the end, no matter which brand she chose, she got a good camera that will serve her well......but I couldn't help but cringe a bit at the sales geek's statement.

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 03, 2012 18:38 |  #84

mtavel wrote in post #14016687 (external link)
I just say that Canon lenses are great quality and generally a bit cheaper than Nikon's, also, it's REALLY easy to find Canon accessories. Seems the choice of aftermarket products for Nikon is a bit smaller.

For the semi-pros also, CPS is a much more accessable service than NPS. Look up the requirements for being an NPS member sometime, yikes!!

".....
How To become a member:

• Write a letter of introduction to Nikon Professional Services (see address below) on your letterhead (or your company's stationery).
  • Tell us about your photography and request an invitation to join.
  • You will need to meet the qualifying requirements below after you receive your application.
To qualify:

• NPS Sponsor (existing member to verify that you are a full-time photographer)
  • Current Tear Sheets (published within the last 12 months)
  • Ownership of a minimum of 2 Nikon Professional Bodies and 3 Nikkor or DX Nikkor lenses.
Nikon Professional Services
1300 Walt Whitman Road
Melville, New York 11747-3064

Each application will be processed on an individual basis. Then, after this information has been verified and approved, you'll receive your NPS membership card with all its privileges, as well as details on how to use the Priority Repair Service....."

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 03, 2012 23:43 |  #85

I like the way they feel in the hand. The button and wheels are more natural for me. Not really any more complicated than that.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 04, 2012 23:02 |  #86

Because Nikon shooters eat babies and I'm a vegetarian.

EDIT: but really...I like the button/menu layout of Canons, as well as some of the lens choices...the Canon 16-35L II and 100 f2 rule...)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 05, 2012 03:43 |  #87

x_tan wrote in post #13995873 (external link)
"I got all Canon gear free ;)"

You are not only a very fine photographer, X, but an excellent businessman as well!!!

Growing old disgracefully!

sponsored links

7,367 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you respond to "Why Canon over Nikon?"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.