Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Feb 2012 (Friday) 18:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moving from Nikon D300 to 5DMkii

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 25, 2012 11:46 |  #16

if its image quality you are after and are very critical, I would say get the D700. Its really very spectacular. I love canon. I like the options it gives me and more importantly my hands just like the canon ergo a bit more, something I find of the utmost importance when you are hold a camera for hours and hours. but image quality, in my limited experience is better on the nikon.

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

sponsored links
elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 25, 2012 11:57 |  #17

Firstly, the D700 is FF. I only mention that since you used FF as a selling point for the 5D Mark II. I'm not going to bash the Canon's AF but instead I'll focus on the D700's AF; it's very good. Fast enough for sports or anything else you want to shoot with it. When making a decision like this I always focus on down the road instead of right now. Six months down the road, will you be sick and tired of having to focus and recompose everything? If you ever plan on shooting anything with any kind of movement involved you will find the Canon seriously lacking, especially if it's something that you need an outer focus point to catch. I own both Canons and Nikons, I shoot both systems on an almost daily basis. In every respect, I would choose the D700. No, it doesn't have video but you can't shoot video and take stills at the same time so video is pointless to me personally.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Ibitezombies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 25, 2012 15:35 |  #18

elrey2375 wrote in post #13964888 (external link)
Firstly, the D700 is FF. I only mention that since you used FF as a selling point for the 5D Mark II. I'm not going to bash the Canon's AF but instead I'll focus on the D700's AF; it's very good. Fast enough for sports or anything else you want to shoot with it. When making a decision like this I always focus on down the road instead of right now. Six months down the road, will you be sick and tired of having to focus and recompose everything? If you ever plan on shooting anything with any kind of movement involved you will find the Canon seriously lacking, especially if it's something that you need an outer focus point to catch. I own both Canons and Nikons, I shoot both systems on an almost daily basis. In every respect, I would choose the D700. No, it doesn't have video but you can't shoot video and take stills at the same time so video is pointless to me personally.

The only things that move that I'm planning on shooting will be weddings and my kids! Can I ask you how you found the image quality of the D700 compared with the 5D Mkii?

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 25, 2012 15:50 |  #19

Ibitezombies wrote in post #13965807 (external link)
The only things that move that I'm planning on shooting will be weddings and my kids! Can I ask you how you found the image quality of the D700 compared with the 5D Mkii?

Weddings is a good enough reason to choose the D700 over the 5D2.

The AF, especially on outer focus points, is so much more reliable.

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 25, 2012 16:08 |  #20

Sort of off topic but how does the AF in the 5D2 compare to the AF in the 60D? Is it the exact same?

Ibitezombies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 25, 2012 16:15 |  #21

thedcmule2 wrote in post #13965944 (external link)
Sort of off topic but how does the AF in the 5D2 compare to the AF in the 60D? Is it the exact same?

I've not used either, but on paper the 60D's should in theory be better as all 9 of it's AF points are cross type (and therefore more sensitive) where as only the centre point on the 5DMkii is cross type.

iunlock
105 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 25, 2012 16:21 as a reply to  @ Ibitezombies's post |  #22

I do not like to be negative, but I just switched from the 5D2 to my first Nikon, (D700.) I am not a pro, still a very serious amateur, but I worked with the focusing of the 5D2 for a year and a half, and still the sharpest images that I had on my computer were shot with a friend of mine D700 and 24-70 f2.8 lens.
I just sold my 5D2 body, 3 lenses and 2 flashes, and made the switch to Nikon.
I would really research this decision that you are making. Sorry.

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 25, 2012 17:03 |  #23

Ibitezombies wrote in post #13965970 (external link)
I've not used either, but on paper the 60D's should in theory be better as all 9 of it's AF points are cross type (and therefore more sensitive) where as only the centre point on the 5DMkii is cross type.

Wow I thought 60D was only single cross type. That pisses me off I shoot a lot of concerts and need fast autofocus and have been wanting the 5d2 iq for a while. I hope when I get it my concert photography doesnt go to absolute crap, focusing on faces is very important and using centerpoint doesnt always make a good composition..

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 25, 2012 17:56 |  #24

thedcmule2 wrote in post #13966182 (external link)
Wow I thought 60D was only single cross type. That pisses me off I shoot a lot of concerts and need fast autofocus and have been wanting the 5d2 iq for a while. I hope when I get it my concert photography doesnt go to absolute crap, focusing on faces is very important and using centerpoint doesnt always make a good composition..

I think you'll struggle a bit with the single center point focusing, especially in low light, it's hard to keep the single point on the subject, especially if it's small in the frame. However it works really well with static objects

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Ibitezombies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 28, 2012 14:15 as a reply to  @ lannes's post |  #25

Do any more 5Dmkii users have opinions on the AF as this seems to be the main point which everyone mentions? Especially with regard to wedding/kids photography?

Cheers

david8476
56 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 28, 2012 22:46 as a reply to  @ Ibitezombies's post |  #26

Photography is just a hobby and I usually use center-point and recompose.

I currently use a 5D2 coming from a 60D, and have been satisfied with the AF capability of the 5D2 and the 60D. However, please note that I am not a PRO but an ordinary guy taking photos of friends, family and a few nature/landscape scenes.

If wedding photography is important, why not go to other sites (like flickr, professional wedding photographer site, etc) so you'll be able to answer the questions of:

What camera body do professional wedding photgraphers use as their camera bodies? 5D2, D700, other camera bodies/brands?

What's the IQ of actual wedding photos taken by the 5D2, D700 or other models/brands? Is the camera body you are considering able to output photos to your satisfaction?

Of course, the most important factor would be the person behind the camera and the camera body is just a tool which has limitations/capabiliti​es, and it is up to the photographer to optimize the use of his equipment.

jayadeff
367 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 29, 2012 15:37 |  #27

I think you'll find that the 5D-MkII is the most widely used camera by wedding photographers. One contributing reason for that might be the 50L and 85L lenses which are also very widely used by wedding photographers.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 29, 2012 17:59 |  #28

jayadeff wrote in post #13992187 (external link)
I think you'll find that the 5D-MkII is the most widely used camera by wedding photographers. One contributing reason for that might be the 50L and 85L lenses which are also very widely used by wedding photographers.

Not around here it isn't.

D700 seems to be the most popular here, with D3s/D3/1D4/1D3 next, with 5D2 running last.

And the most widely-used lenses are 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8, of either brand, with the occasional 35mm prime.

Ibitezombies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 29, 2012 18:22 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #29

I definitely think the 5DMkii has sold more units than the D700, it does seem to be a very popular camera.

However the more I think about it, the D700 may be a better choice for me. If I hadn't been used to the D300's autofocus I don't think it would be such a hard decision, but knowing what I could be using in a D700 I think that I would always be wanting more from the Mkii's AF system.

One thing that does slightly concern me is the 12mp vs 21 mp. I know that MP aren't meant to matter but surely more is generally better? Or will 12mp suffice for portraits, and weddings? I do intend to print work eventually so will 12 be enough?

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 29, 2012 18:34 |  #30

Ibitezombies wrote in post #13993255 (external link)
I definitely think the 5DMkii has sold more units than the D700, it does seem to be a very popular camera.

However the more I think about it, the D700 may be a better choice for me. If I hadn't been used to the D300's autofocus I don't think it would be such a hard decision, but knowing what I could be using in a D700 I think that I would always be wanting more from the Mkii's AF system.

One thing that does slightly concern me is the 12mp vs 21 mp. I know that MP aren't meant to matter but surely more is generally better? Or will 12mp suffice for portraits, and weddings? I do intend to print work eventually so will 12 be enough?

How large do you intend to print?

If you're mostly shooting people and not making huge prints, it won't matter much. I personally chose the 5D2, but that's because I shoot landscapes, my typical print size is 36" or larger on the long edge and I need every bit of detail I can extract, in a compact body.

Overall sales volumes don't mean much - they're more a product of advertising, public awareness and even availability than of product quality. The 5D2 was snapped up by amateurs and videographers; I rarely see an amateur with a D700. I do, however, see D700s frequently in the hands of professional still photographers?

sponsored links

4,177 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moving from Nikon D300 to 5DMkii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.