Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 00:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

looking for a Rolling Case for Lighting Gear

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 25, 2011 23:06 |  #16

Enzyme wrote in post #13161212 (external link)
I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning on using a ice hockey goalie bag for my lighting kit. These bags are huge. One that I'm looking at is 44" by 21" by 21" for $60. http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​1c1ee8ca68 (external link) By comparison, the Calumet bag is 34" by 15" by 8" for $180.

Of course, the goalie bag doesn't have padded dividers. I'm planning to build some basic ones myself. I think I'll be able fit four light stands, background supports, four Einsteins, PLMs and bits and pieces into the one bag. That is the plan anyway.

There are other bigger goalie bags around, but I'm not sure they have wheels. I haven't done too much looking yet.

I'd be very interested in how the goalie bag works for you. Please report back.

sponsored links
Enzyme
51 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 26, 2011 02:12 |  #17

Pinto wrote in post #13162757 (external link)

It might be a little while before I do this. It isn't at the top of my list of priorities. I've got some location shoots coming up in November so I might aim to have done it by then.

But I have owned a goalie bag similar to the one I linked to for many years. I look at all my lighting kit - four 13 foot stands, background support with stands, four Einsteins, three PLMs, giant softbox and assorted bits and pieces - and then I look at the goalie bag I have and think it would just about all fit into the bag. I think the only trick is to see if I can come up with some way of making some cheap dividers for the bag to protrect the strobes that didn't make it too heavy to move.

I don't think I can use my existing goalie bag for my lighting kit as it doesn't have wheels, but I might do a quick test to see how much of my lighting equipment I can fit into it. I'll let you know how I get on.

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 26, 2011 03:13 |  #18

I just ordered the Transpac Single Case. I will let you guys know how it is when I get it.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

Enzyme
51 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 11, 2011 21:49 |  #19

Pinto wrote in post #13162757 (external link)

I've just dug out an old goalie bag I had from the back of the garage and tried to stuff all my lighting kit into it.

It took four 13 foot light stands, two 86" PLMs, a 64" PLM, a giant (30" by 60") softbox, four Einsteins and a little plastic toolbox that I keep batteries, triggers, cables and other bits and pieces in. That all fitted no problem, with some space left over that I could stuff plenty of power cords into. It think there is an outside chance that the background support stands and pole could fit in as well, but I don't have that with me to be able to try it.

All of those items (except the toolbox) were in the packaging that they were shipped in. The boxes containing the Einsteins are quite a bit bigger than just the units themselves. If I found a better container for them it would free up a lot of space. The softbox took up a massive amount of space in the bag - almost as much as the light stands and PLMs combined. If I left it out there would be heaps of space left over.

I couldn't quite fit everything in: There was not enough room for a another plastic container that I use to keep the speedrings and reflectors in.

I think the old bag I just tested is 44" by 24" by 24". Although it fitted all the gear fine it isn't really practical because it isn't wheeled. From the browsing I've done this bag would be my pick: http://www.icewarehous​e.com/descpage.html?pc​ode=RGWB (external link) There are a few more choices here: http://www.icewarehous​e.com …html?ccode=GBAG​S&view=all (external link) It seems that there are not too many options that have that full 44x24x24 and wheels. If you're prepared to give up the wheels, or two to four inches in width and high you can pick up a similar bag at a third of the price.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 12, 2011 20:22 as a reply to  @ post 13162538 |  #20

I bought a hard plastic rolling tool box at Menards on sale for $20 and lined it with memory foam. It's stackable, rugged, has holes for locks and is airline, FedEx and UPS approved so it's pretty rugged. It has no labels indicating that it's a tool box though and looks more like a rolling camera gear case if you ask me. It's about 17"x13"x32". It worked out so well I went and bought a second one to throw all my other bags and accessories in. :-)

Of course it's not a pelican. It's not waterproof. But it protects everything. For some reason I have problems spending a significant percentage of the cost of equipment just to have something to put it in so I'm cheap in that department as long as it doesn't put my gear at risk.

Here's the same one at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com …-Trunk-Camo/dp/B001SAA08I (external link)

IMAGE: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4185u7HV8kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But I'm seriously giving thought to one of these:

IMAGE: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41pogfnVcLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

GrillZ
246 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 12, 2011 21:10 |  #21

anyone know where to get one of these rolling cases that can store a ABR800, 2x AB800, vagabond mini, & 3 light stands?

All of the ones in this thread seem like they dont have any compartment big enough for the ring flash head....

www.1stClassVisuals.co​m (external link)
5D MK III | Canon 70-200L IS II | Canon 16-35L II | Canon 1.4x Extender II | 2x AB800's + 1xABR800 | 4x Cactus V5 Triggers | + More coming soon!
My Flickr (external link)

virsago_mk2
600 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 29, 2012 02:00 as a reply to  @ GrillZ's post |  #22

Any of you guys recommend these bags?
My lighting equipment are: 3 light stands, 3mx3.8m backdrop stand, 3 60cmx60cm softbox diffuser, 3 580EX Speedlight, 3 external battery packs, 2 50cm reflectors.

http://www.ebay.com.au …_trksid=p3984.m​1423.l2649 (external link)

http://www.ebay.com.au …_trksid=p3984.m​1423.l2649 (external link)

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

CSMFoto
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 29, 2012 05:56 |  #23

I have 3 mono lights, reflector, vagabond mini and I just use an oversized suitcase, yes it doesn't have padding and all the other crap, but it's working awesome for now. Sadly it doesn't fit my stands too :-\

Facebook (external link) | CSM Photography (external link) | Gear
I got some camera's & lens'.

steve6101
39 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 29, 2012 09:00 |  #24

l use a hard suitcase with foam in it with shapes cut out for my lights
(paid £3 at a carboot = £5 for foam)

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 29, 2012 11:50 |  #25

You might want to check out the Kata Palms-1 http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …vanced_Lighting​_Case.html (external link)

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

asamimasa
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 29, 2012 13:32 |  #26

I'm in a similar situation as OP, trying to find something to store 3 ABs, a VML, and maybe one of the 7" reflectors (not that important). I've been eyeing the Pelican 1560; anybody know if that'll be large enough?

Gear List here

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 29, 2012 15:25 |  #27

I ended up buying the Transpac pack and I love it, but I am interested in trying the larger version. It's perfect for 2 monolights, vml, light stands, umbrellas and other accessories.
It also fits perfectly in my trunk or back seat.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 29, 2012 18:09 |  #28

Sure wish they would mount a scissor stand - like an ironing board has on the backside!

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 29, 2012 20:16 |  #29

Pelican case?

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

sponsored links

7,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
looking for a Rolling Case for Lighting Gear
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.