Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Feb 2012 (Friday) 08:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5Dc Sensor Scratches

Brandon72
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 24, 2012 12:23 |  #16

PWard wrote in post #13959245 (external link)
the tech performing the mirror fix sneezed at a crucial point of the fix and scratched the sensor and is trying to cover his @$$ :-)

It crossed my mind too. :lol:

sponsored links
PLLphotography
with the TF
5,244 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 24, 2012 12:25 |  #17

so if I ever need to send in my camera body, I'll be sure to take some macro shots of the sensor just in case.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

Brandon72
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 29, 2012 17:38 |  #18

Hey guys,

I just got the 5D back today. The Service Form they included says "Installed mirror pins, firmware updated, adjusted to spec. (sensor scratched)."

They did not clean the sensor (it's pretty dirty).

I took a quick look at the sensor and could see some very faint smudges/scratches. I could not tell for sure what it was by looking at it.

I took a shot at f22. You can see the two marks. I've attached them below, 100% crops.

I contacted Nicholas and he said they look like smudges to him.

The seller asked if I could post the pictures here for any other thoughts as well.

Will probably be getting a cleaning kit from Nicholas. The 5D is one of the older ones (serial start with 0) so want to make sure it's done properly.

Thanks for any insight/help. :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ninetwentynine
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 29, 2012 17:54 as a reply to  @ Brandon72's post |  #19

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7195/6942393431_a522af9170_b.jpg

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 29, 2012 18:17 |  #20

It looks like dirt and maybe oil on the sensor. You will need wet cleaning fluid to clean this mess. It will take you a couple of go-overs to get it totally clean but it'll come off. They are not scratches!

Brandon72
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 29, 2012 18:23 |  #21

I hope you guys are right. :D I feel much better now. :)

I'm kind of disappointed in Canon Canada though... After that first phone call, I've e-mailed them twice, asking if they could get more info on what the tech found and if they tried cleaning it to ensure it wasn't just smudges, and the only response I got was about the current status of the mirror repair. O.o And, I thought they cleaned it after working inside it? The 1:1 image at f22 is pretty horrifying (all the dust not to mention the smudges). I think you guys in the States have it good with Canon! :P

ninetwentynine
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 29, 2012 19:17 |  #22

whew, just smudges.

kinda funny how the canon tech told you to the camera was basically useless and urged you to upgrade lol.

Badger49456
417 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 29, 2012 19:26 |  #23

That's rather unnerving that the tech declared those scratches and wanted you to shell out $300 without so much as cleaning the sensor first. Keep us posted with an after-cleaning image; worst case scenario is a bit of cloning work in post if those smudges don't come out.

flickr (external link)

Brandon72
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 29, 2012 20:08 |  #24

Badger49456 wrote in post #13993607 (external link)
That's rather unnerving that the tech declared those scratches and wanted you to shell out $300 without so much as cleaning the sensor first. Keep us posted with an after-cleaning image; worst case scenario is a bit of cloning work in post if those smudges don't come out.

Heh, I wish that was the repair quote I got! :lol: This is what the original inspection/estimate I received, the full message: "Upon inspection,tech found unit has scratches on CMOS,which is a chargeable repair.Suggest replace to new EOS 5D MK II,$2,167.00+tax"

Sweet jebus! :p They never suggested that it might just be on the filter/that it could be replaced, or tried cleaning it apparently.

I've ordered a dry cleaning kit from Nicholas -- mine's from the iffy batch and don't want to risk wet-cleaning. Will update once I've received it...

Badger49456
417 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 29, 2012 20:54 |  #25

Oh that's right, I was mixing it all up. That's even more egregious and is really disappointing. I wonder how often they try to pull that one.

flickr (external link)

Nicholas ­ R.
455 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 29, 2012 21:17 |  #26

Badger49456 wrote in post #13994182 (external link)
Oh that's right, I was mixing it all up. That's even more egregious and is really disappointing. I wonder how often they try to pull that one.

I've seen this maneuver before from Canon, not sure if it was the Canada arm, though. I mean, what are the techs taught - if they're not sure about surface marks, just put in a whole new sensor assembly? And at the cost of a brand new 7D w/kit lens? They didn't even blow the sensor off for the customer, inexcusable, IMHO.

This is a pattern with technicians where one will do a bang-up job and the guy/gal next to him/her will be pitiful. It's a strong argument for taking matters in your own hands, if you're up for it, that is.

Nicholas

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,984 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 29, 2012 21:34 |  #27

I'd have asked them if they could quickly look up part number CG2-1699-000 and ask if they could possibly manage to use a screwdriver...

sadly there are lazy techs out there with no apparent quality-control....

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

wcleung
225 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 29, 2012 21:44 |  #28

Glad that your camera is basically fine. Bad news on the service from Mississauga :( I live nearby. The August cleaning you mentioned was done there too? Debbie

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 29, 2012 23:08 |  #29

If it is indeed oil on the sensor, then you will need wet cleaning! You will smear the oil around and make it even worse. Wet cleaning is easy - don't stress over it - just do it.

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 29, 2012 23:25 |  #30

My 2nd hand 1D3 had a scratch too - it's all caused by aggressive sensor cleaning

Not visible on images so I stopped caring after a while

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

sponsored links

6,158 views & 0 likes for this thread
5Dc Sensor Scratches
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.