Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 23:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark III Rumors

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,917 posts
Gallery: 1733 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 01, 2012 14:05 |  #5326

Shadowblade wrote in post #13998928 (external link)
The AF is supposedly worse than the 1Dx.

The body isn't weather-sealed to the same degree as a 1-series body, or any Nikon body of D300-level or above.

Hardly a 1D replacement. It's such a pity the 1D series has an inbuilt grip - you can always add a grip on if you want one, but can't saw it off if you don't. Even the tough-as-nails, pro-oriented Canon 1V never had an inbuilt grip, so you can't argue it makes it more 'professional'.

I don't see why you find the need to piss on someone else's parade. It's fine and dandy that you're displeased with the 5D3. But isn't anyone else allowed to be happy with the specs? :D

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 01, 2012 14:09 |  #5327

jwcdds wrote in post #13998964 (external link)
I don't see why you find the need to piss on someone else's parade. It's fine and dandy that you're displeased with the 5D3. But isn't anyone else allowed to be happy with the specs? :D

How can he be displeased about a reduced AF system from the 1Dx, and a stronger AA filter, when we have no clue of any of that is true?

We will know in several hours :)

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 01, 2012 14:09 |  #5328

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #13998924 (external link)
What matters is the end result. If camera A at 36MP does more noise reduction than camera B at 21MP, but camera A still retains more detail and with the same or less noise than camera B when sized to 21MP, which one is better?

For this reason "scientific" comparisons aren't really worth much to me. What matters to me is what can I get out of each raw file with an optimized pp process. So I may process images from camera A different than camera B, what matters is the best result I can get from each one, and how much effort it takes to get there. In this regard, all of the current generation cameras should be able to perform very well. The only big question mark for me is will the 5DIII and 1DX solve the banding problems.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 01, 2012 14:13 |  #5329

spec-wise, I consider this a decent upgrade over the 5DII. This is Canon we're talking about and anyone that thought you'd get it all was crazy. I know we wanted it all, but this camera leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

how big is the buffer?
how many full sized raw files@6fps?
DR?
ISO?
low light focusing ability?

I'm still on the fence at this point but I'm pretty sure I'll stay with Canon unless the raw files are just terrible and show no improvements over the 5DII.

Sample shots please :D

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 01, 2012 14:14 |  #5330

Shadowblade wrote in post #13998959 (external link)
Then Canon can kiss goodbye to anyone who bought the 5D2 for still image quality - wedding photographers included (wedding photographers who weren't after image quality bought the D700 instead of the 5D2 or 1Ds3). But I guess that's OK - Hollywood may buy a few more.

I was just trying to ruffle your feathers and make Narlus's dreams come true. ;)

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Iceaero
86 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 01, 2012 14:15 |  #5331

Any chance that it also has 4 pixel binning?

Canon 5D Mark IV | 16-35mm f/4L | 85mm f/1.4L | 100-400L II

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 01, 2012 14:15 |  #5332
bannedPermanent ban

bacchanal wrote in post #13998929 (external link)
I hope the 5DIII has a pretty strong AA filter. I thought the one in the 5DII was a little weak.

Then the 5D3 may take over from the 7D as the most complained about AA filter.

Wedding photography (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 01, 2012 14:17 |  #5333

bacchanal wrote in post #13998989 (external link)
For this reason "scientific" comparisons aren't really worth much to me. What matters to me is what can I get out of each raw file with an optimized pp process. So I may process images from camera A different than camera B, what matters is the best result I can get from each one, and how much effort it takes to get there. In this regard, all of the current generation cameras should be able to perform very well. The only big question mark for me is will the 5DIII and 1DX solve the banding problems.

Yes, yes, and yes. If the 5DIII leaked specs are accurate and it fixes the shadow pattern noise, I'm stoked. Not about the price but about the specs.

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 01, 2012 14:18 |  #5334
bannedPermanent ban

Imo, price will soon come down, I think they are just milking the early adopters...

Wedding photography (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 01, 2012 14:22 |  #5335

Shadowblade wrote in post #13998867 (external link)
- Pro AF (the D800 has the D4's AF system, whereas the 5D3 supposedly has a cut-down 1Dx system - 'cut-down' never means 'better'...)
- Lack of AA filter (making the D800e's resolution advantage over the 5D3 even greater, especially if Canon decides to strengthen the 5D3's AA filter over the 5D2 for video purposes)
- Full weather sealing

You know nothing of the details of any of that. The correct answer was "nothing at this point." Without any real-world comparisons, spec-for-spec, the 5D III pushes the mid-level FF segment higher than does the D800.

"Pro AF" (whatever that means) doesn't have to be 1D X or bust. A crippled 61-point 1D X AF may well outperform the D4's full-blown 51-point "pro" AF. How the flavor-of-the-month spec, AA filter, performs is a complete unknown. And the only detail we have about weather sealing is a line from a rumor that says it's "improved," the degree of which is a complete unknown.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 01, 2012 14:23 as a reply to  @ Indecent Exposure's post |  #5336

narlus wrote in post #13998676 (external link)
i haven't seen 'anti-alias' in the thread in a while...what went wrong?

bacchanal wrote in post #13998929 (external link)
I hope the 5DIII has a pretty strong AA filter. I thought the one in the 5DII was a little weak.

Shadowblade wrote in post #13998959 (external link)
Then Canon can kiss goodbye to anyone who bought the 5D2 for still image quality - wedding photographers included (wedding photographers who weren't after image quality bought the D700 instead of the 5D2 or 1Ds3). But I guess that's OK - Hollywood may buy a few more.

Some of you guys are so wound up you don't recognize obvious needling even when it smacks you in the face! :lol::lol:

Tom

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 01, 2012 14:26 |  #5337

Hi,

Any truth to this?

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/C​anon_5d3.html (external link)

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

cfnz
105 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 01, 2012 14:28 |  #5338

Stone 13 wrote in post #13999018 (external link)
how big is the buffer?
how many full sized raw files@6fps?
DR?
ISO?
low light focusing ability?

All good questions and ones that my purchase decision will hinge on, along with price.

Drozz119
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 01, 2012 14:30 |  #5339

- Pro AF (the D800 has the D4's AF system, whereas the 5D3 supposedly has a cut-down 1Dx system - 'cut-down' never means 'better'...)

Hypothetical! The 5d will supposedly have a wider spreed.
5d3 AF- 61 pt with 41 cross points, D800 - 51pt with 15 cross points

- Lack of AA filter (making the D800e's resolution advantage over the 5D3 even greater, especially if Canon decides to strengthen the 5D3's AA filter over the 5D2 for video purposes)

More Moire.. More Moire :D

- Full weather sealing

lol.. no one knows whos weather sealing is better yet

At this stage, we don't know what the dynamic range is going to be like, but, going on releases in the past few years, Nikon cameras have been killing Canon cameras in terms of DR.

DXO is on Nikon's payroll :D

No, the current king of IQ is the D3x. Slightly more resolution than the 5D2 and a whole lot more dynamic range. Given that the D800 has the same pizel density as the D7000, and the D7000 has shown outstanding DR and detail, there's no question that the D800 will kill the 5D3 with regards to resolved detail at ISO 6400 and under.

Does anyone buy those? I have never seen a D3x in real life.. So, I don't know. I know is see tons of D3's and D3s's. There were 3 of them at the Pitt vs St. Johns game last night.

Diffraction-limited? Not until you're shooting at f/14-f/16 - the Airy disc diameter only reaches the side length of a single Bayer cell at f/15.1. The cause of the 7D's softness isn't diffraction - it's the designed-for-video AA filter.

This is the best one! Really? Why don't we refer to Nikon's Official Guide to the D800.. where they talk about diffraction setting in BEFORE F/11 on probably one of their best lenses!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 01, 2012 14:37 |  #5340

Meh...waiting to see mention of base ISO dynamic range...if it's the same old stuffy noisy shadows, time to switch...if not and its got some great DR, will stick around probably...

People that say "but if you expose right you don't need it!"... Not true...it totally depends on what you are doing...here's an example shot:
http://amanathia.zenfo​lio.com/img/s3/v43/p38​2161585-6.jpg (external link)

Not the best shot in the world for sure, but demonstrates it...I would have loved nice clean low read noise shadows for that. At 100% the trees are just awful awful awful blotchy. They are especially awful without long exposure NR on...but who has the time to sit around for that on all shots when its 10 degrees out, your out in the middle of nowhere far away from home, and you have a day job--and the wind is starting to pick up--grumbles ;P. ISO 100, yes, exposed properly, is actually *worse*. Graduated filters? I suppose, but definitely have limitations... anyway. :P

amanathia.zenfolio.com

sponsored links

747,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark III Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.