Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Nikon D800 or wait"
Switching now
12.5%
Waiting for Canon announcement
35.7%
Loyal Canon fan for life. :)
51.8%

830 voters, 830 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who's making the switch to Nikon / D800

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 01, 2012 22:02 |  #646

22MP and 6 fps with pro AF? If that's true Canon is about to announce the camera that would have kept me from switching to Nikon. If I felt a need to upgrade from my D700 (and I don't) my only options now are to go with a D4 (too big) or switch back to Canon (too expensive, and I prefer Nikon zooms).

The D800 is of no interest to me at all because of the low fps in FX mode, so I guess I'll have to wait to see what the D900 brings. At least my wife will be happy! :)

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

sponsored links
Hardcore
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 01, 2012 22:25 |  #647

Bob_A wrote in post #14002681 (external link)
22MP and 6 fps with pro AF? If that's true Canon is about to announce the camera that would have kept me from switching to Nikon. If I felt a need to upgrade from my D700 (and I don't) my only options now are to go with a D4 (too big) or switch back to Canon (too expensive, and I prefer Nikon zooms).

The D800 is of no interest to me at all because of the low fps in FX mode, so I guess I'll have to wait to see what the D900 brings. At least my wife will be happy! :)

Ill trade my gear. I'm in sask. I need a 70-200 vr2 and a quality WA......

Name: Corey
GEAR
Website (external link)

Tonyz
223 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 01, 2012 22:48 |  #648
bannedPermanent ban

Can the D800 do pixel binning?

mchong75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 01, 2012 23:33 |  #649

So, who's changing their mind about staying or dumping Canon?

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

mchong75
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 01, 2012 23:34 |  #650

For $500 less, D800 seems to have better specs and new features.

The new radio transmitter with ETTL is nice though.

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

snaphappyphotography
251 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 01, 2012 23:42 |  #651

Still very interested in making the switch to Nikon, I'm trying to talk my wife our of it, but she's pretty adamant at this point. She keeps calling Nikon the new Apple. I'm trying to convince myself that Canon will announce a studio camera in the next 6 months or so.

Either way, not buying anything until we see extensive reviews with sample images, not the sample images from Nikon endorsed shooters...

Nikon shooters will continue to wait for a D700 replacement, Canon shooters will continue to wait for a 5DII replacement.

D800, D700, MB D10, 85 1.4G, 70-200 2.8G VR II, 16-35 f4G VR II, 60 2.8G Micro, SB 910 (x4), SB 900, Radio Popper PX Trans (x2), Radio Popper PX Rec (x3)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 02, 2012 00:10 |  #652

snaphappyphotography wrote in post #14003746 (external link)
Still very interested in making the switch to Nikon, I'm trying to talk my wife our of it, but she's pretty adamant at this point. She keeps calling Nikon the new Apple. I'm trying to convince myself that Canon will announce a studio camera in the next 6 months or so.

Either way, not buying anything until we see extensive reviews with sample images, not the sample images from Nikon endorsed shooters...

Nikon shooters will continue to wait for a D700 replacement, Canon shooters will continue to wait for a 5DII replacement.

At least they have a D4, for those who need speed and don't need resolution.

We don't have any high-resolution body at the moment, regardless of cost.

foxesamu
507 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 02, 2012 00:55 |  #653

Shadowblade wrote in post #14003972 (external link)
At least they have a D4, for those who need speed and don't need resolution.

We don't have any high-resolution body at the moment, regardless of cost.

lol I thought you were a Nikon shooter from all the time you've been defending/praising them in the D800 threads.

Yes, that's true. And we can still buy a new D700 if we can't afford the D4. But I think a lot of Nikon shooters feel slighted by the lack of a fast new FX body for less than $6K. I mean, they could've at least given us more than one extra frame/sec with the now $600 grip. Although I recognize that Canon has never done the grip = more speed thing.

I feel like there's no way Canon won't put out a higher MP version of (most likely) the 5D3 in the next year. If they don't, studio/fashion/landsca​pers will start to switch en masse. On the other hand, Nikon probably won't lose much by not giving the D700 a direct replacement, so it's less likely to happen.

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 02, 2012 01:16 |  #654

that d800e is looking more and more tempting to me....

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 02, 2012 02:48 |  #655
bannedPermanent ban

Anyone else not impressed from the Canon samples?
It looks like the ISO performance is much worse than the D800 at 6400.
It seems from the Canon sample that it blurs out all the fine details at 6400, reminiscent of what crop camera's do, personally I would barely call it usable. Sure the grain isn't too bad, but that's hardly good ISO performance...
No wonder the high ISO wedding portraits are 'coming soon', their faces must look like the are melting.

Also not convinced banding in shadows has been resolved.

http://web.canon.jp …ng/eosd/samples​/eos5dmk3/ (external link)

Below is what I mean

100% Crop 5Diii ISO800
Not bad (although looks a little soft), there is a little chroma, but that's easy to tidy up.
The IQ seems ver 7D like to me.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

100% Crop 5Diii ISO6400
Where has all the detail gone? Why is there not loads of chroma?
Instead there is allot of blotching where chroma likely used to be.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

For comparison, a D800 sample with a touch of Chroma NR in LR3
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Below is another D800 6400 sample, while there is noise, at least the image is still sharp, and has some detail remaining.
IMAGE: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mxfH1Cf35RM/TzPuoN44UGI/AAAAAAAAAG0/yk5VjrV7bR8/s1600/Cliff_Mautner_6400c.jpg
http://www.iso1200.com …age-sample-photo-980.html (external link)

Wedding photography (external link)

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 02, 2012 02:56 |  #656
bannedPermanent ban

Anyone else think this looks like banding noise with ALLOT of NR applied?

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Tonyz
223 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 02, 2012 03:08 |  #657
bannedPermanent ban

Rhys, I completely agree.

But try to point this out in the official 5D2 thread and you will be instantly trolled or ignored.

It seems that the 5D3 "MUST" fullfil all our dreams and be way better than the 5D2, even if its not.

I will wait for more samples and reviews before I make my final conclusion. But yeah, these first samples looks pretty bad.

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 02, 2012 03:10 |  #658
bannedPermanent ban

Tonyz wrote in post #14004843 (external link)
Rhys, I completely agree.

Try to point this out in the official 5D2 thread and you will be instantly trolled or ignored.

It seems that the 5D3 "MUST" fullfil all our dreams and be way better than the 5D2, even if its not.

Tbh, if you don't need the AF, I'd save cash and pick up a mkii.

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Mar 02, 2012 07:49 |  #659

IF IQ is like 7D count me out cuz the 7D Blows.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

Mark2Mark
136 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 02, 2012 08:30 as a reply to  @ RhysPhotograph.Me's post |  #660

Can you list the exifs for the Canon and Nikon images you posted?
I have a feeling that the studio Nikon image is in much better light than the northern lights Canon image. That will make a big difference to the visible noise.

I'd wait to see some high-ISO portrait shots in similar lighting before coming to conclusions.

Gear

sponsored links

279,272 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who's making the switch to Nikon / D800
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.