Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Nov 2010 (Monday) 09:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Alien Bees Users Check In (2)

curlydog
143 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 27, 2012 15:01 as a reply to  @ post 13976927 |  #3376

So the troll just got home from school and texted me that 5 boxes from Paul C Buff Inc were sitting at the front door. Now the bad news, with the wife having to fly to Yuma due to her Father's health and with back to weekends of dance competition for the troll, they may not see the light of day for 3 weeks ;0(

Canon 50D / Canon 6D
-Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Canon 24-105mm L Sigma EF 500 DG Super Photoshop CC Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM Alien Bees 2-ab400 2-ab800 http://photos.curlydog​.com (external link) Just a Guy With a Camera Shooting His Daughter and Her Friends Dancing

sponsored links
imposterjeff
Goldmember
1,545 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 27, 2012 15:19 |  #3377

just ordered a einstein today.

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 27, 2012 17:28 |  #3378

curlydog wrote in post #13977593 (external link)
So the troll just got home from school and texted me that 5 boxes from Paul C Buff Inc were sitting at the front door. Now the bad news, with the wife having to fly to Yuma due to her Father's health and with back to weekends of dance competition for the troll, they may not see the light of day for 3 weeks ;0(

Wish the best for your FIL's health... Hope he makes a speedy recovery..

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

curlydog
143 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 27, 2012 18:19 |  #3379

shankarhokie wrote in post #13978589 (external link)
Wish the best for your FIL's health... Hope he makes a speedy recovery..

Thanks Shank....not looking so good.

So I had to pull out an AB800 and put the cybersync on it just to be sure I could fire the bad boy, after reading of several folks having difficulty - which seemed to be camera setup related, it fired right up! So looking forward to finding time to start playing

Canon 50D / Canon 6D
-Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Canon 24-105mm L Sigma EF 500 DG Super Photoshop CC Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM Alien Bees 2-ab400 2-ab800 http://photos.curlydog​.com (external link) Just a Guy With a Camera Shooting His Daughter and Her Friends Dancing

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 27, 2012 18:24 |  #3380

bedojo wrote in post #13962477 (external link)
spend atleast a good 6 hours learning the cyber commander, it a little tricky with the b800's, so much smoother with the e640.
When ever I have problems usually a battery pull works to get it fixed.

what BD did you get?
my main traveling setup, which hopefully will come to bangkok with me, is an e640+hobd-w+vml :)

My CC freaked out on me 3 shoots ago and I stopped using it and am just using my Cactus V5's.. I'm selling my TV and ABR800 and picking up 2 more lights, strip boxes and possibly selling the HOBD for a Setti. I'm struggling to choose which stripboxes I want though. Right now the fotodiox 12" x 80" is at the top of my list but I'm worried the grids will be too flimsy.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 27, 2012 18:25 |  #3381

white fire. wrote in post #13971054 (external link)
Day 56/366 - Charmaine Glock (external link) by Connor Surdi | www.connorsurdi.com (external link), on Flickr

AB800 boomed camera left.

Very nice! Really liking the post work on this. I need to get me a thunder grey roll soon.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 01, 2012 19:46 |  #3382

Can the optical trigger in the Alien Bees be turned off, when using radio triggers? I want to use it for events for additional room lighting in addition to my 580EX2 on camera, however I am worried that other people's camera flashes might trigger my ABs optical trigger constantly. What do you guys do?

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 01, 2012 19:57 |  #3383

black electrical tape over it?

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,742 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 01, 2012 19:59 |  #3384

ni$mo350 wrote in post #13978955 (external link)
My CC freaked out on me 3 shoots ago and I stopped using it and am just using my Cactus V5's.. I'm selling my TV and ABR800 and picking up 2 more lights, strip boxes and possibly selling the HOBD for a Setti. I'm struggling to choose which stripboxes I want though. Right now the fotodiox 12" x 80" is at the top of my list but I'm worried the grids will be too flimsy.

What happened to your CC and how old was it?

Shane
flickr (external link)

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 01, 2012 20:03 |  #3385

JakAHearts wrote in post #14001868 (external link)
What happened to your CC and how old was it?

I got it brand new in January of last year and out of nowhere it just started blinking a white screen and won't do anything else. I've replaced the battery and tried to do the factory reset that I had to do once before but nothing happened so it's been sitting in my bag..

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,742 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 01, 2012 20:06 |  #3386

Well that all kinds of stinks.

Shane
flickr (external link)

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 01, 2012 20:09 |  #3387

Pretty much! I liked it when it worked properly but just had problem after problem so I have up on it in favor of the Cactus V5's which fire every time. Also not sure why they made the freaking thing with a hinge. That broke too now it's, for lack of a better word, flaccid.. Oh well live and learn. I'm still loving my Einstein!

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,742 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 01, 2012 20:12 |  #3388

This is why I bought a CC and two regular cybersyncs and the plug in receivers for the einstein. Plus I have some cheap manual triggers for back ups to those. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 01, 2012 20:46 |  #3389

professorman wrote in post #14001807 (external link)
Can the optical trigger in the Alien Bees be turned off, when using radio triggers? I want to use it for events for additional room lighting in addition to my 580EX2 on camera, however I am worried that other people's camera flashes might trigger my ABs optical trigger constantly. What do you guys do?

The AB optical sensor is enabled ONLY when you do NOT have anything plugged into the mini phone jack used for RF (or PC sync cord) triggering. So, as long as you're using a radio trigger, the optical sensor will be turned off.

...Leo

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 01, 2012 22:07 |  #3390

ni$mo350 wrote in post #14001923 (external link)
Pretty much! I liked it when it worked properly but just had problem after problem so I have up on it in favor of the Cactus V5's which fire every time. Also not sure why they made the freaking thing with a hinge. That broke too now it's, for lack of a better word, flaccid.. Oh well live and learn. I'm still loving my Einstein!

I betcha that PCB would RMA it...

On a side note (poor design)you'll notice that the battery contacts are just bent metal. They can be reshaped to put more pressure on the battery contacts. If the CC has taken a fall, its pretty easy for those contacts to get ?streched? out of shape.

Also, if you've ever seen a TV remote battery compartment that has the chunck of foam to hold the batteries in place... Try a piece of foam between the batteries and the compartment lid.

sponsored links

1,398,458 views & 358 likes for this thread
Alien Bees Users Check In (2)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.