Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 22:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced

Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 01, 2012 23:24 |  #151

Atleast we wont have to wait forever to get our hands on one (well the people that are actually getting it). I probably will never get one but i want to see what it can do!

-Brendan B.
Graphic Designer | Photographer
5D III | 5D III | Σ 35 1.4 Art | 35 1.4L | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8L | 135 2L
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,212 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 01, 2012 23:24 as a reply to  @ post 14003440 |  #152

What I like:

- 61 point AF system, Yes! finally a good AF system in the 5 series

- 7D-style control layout, Yes! Like this!

- DoF Preview on the RIGHT SIDE OF THE CAMERA FINALLY, Took Canon forever to do this..

- New grip has a joystick! Thank god! because controlling the AF points otherwise is a PITA

- New customization menu for AF custom functions like the 1DX that makes setting it all up a LOT easier than the 7D

- Raised dot on the ISO button to make it easier to distinguish without having to take your eye out of the viewfinder (Not that i do now, but hey, nice touch!)

- Dual card slots, Now i wont be SOL if im out shooting with my friends/family and i fill my cards up!

What I dont like:

- No AF beyond f/5.6, But I can understand Canon's reasoning (Its a system optimized for accuracy using fast lenses... which kinda suits this camera's purpose.. How many wedding photogs shoot 5-series cameras? How many wedding photogs use teleconverters? Exactly..)

- The price.. $3500...just feels steep....

Will I get one? I dont know, Maybe? I'm quite happy with my 7D and want to see the 7D's successor, Also the 5DII is supposedly not going away but getting a nice healthy price drop to be around the $2000 area....
- IQ wise how will it compare to the Nikon's brute force of 36 megapixels, and more importantly, how will it compare to the 1DX... That second one is the bigger question to me... is the 4 megapixel difference going to make enough difference in noise performance to justify the extra $3000 for the 1DX? This appears to be 90% of the camera of the 1DX for 50% of the cost... That could be a good thing... Or Canon severely crippled the sensor on the 5D3 to not steal sales from the 1DX

- A Rate button.. Really? did we need this?

Will I buy one? I dunno... maybe... I'm pretty satisfied with the 7D... and would rather dump $3500 to adding lenses over getting a new camera at this time, Also the 5DII is supposedly dropping to around $2000, which is a pretty enticing idea... Could get a 5DII and dump $1500 into a lens or two after all instead of just getting the 5DIII... Also curious to see what a 7DII brings to the party...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

wdwpsu
625 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 01, 2012 23:25 |  #153

jase1125 wrote in post #14003543 (external link)
http://vimeo.com/37720​189 (external link)

chuck westfall talking about the 5D3. 2 stop jpeg noise improvement over the 5d2 per chuck.

That video is painful to watch...

Wedding and Event Photography ∙ Orlando, Florida ∙ DSWfoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,314 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 01, 2012 23:26 |  #154

KenjiS wrote in post #14003557 (external link)
What I like:

- 61 point AF system, Yes! finally a good AF system in the 5 series

- 7D-style control layout, Yes! Like this!

- DoF Preview on the RIGHT SIDE OF THE CAMERA FINALLY, Took Canon forever to do this..

- New grip has a joystick! Thank god! because controlling the AF points otherwise is a PITA

- New customization menu for AF custom functions like the 1DX that makes setting it all up a LOT easier than the 7D

- Raised dot on the ISO button to make it easier to distinguish without having to take your eye out of the viewfinder (Not that i do now, but hey, nice touch!)

- Dual card slots, Now i wont be SOL if im out shooting with my friends/family and i fill my cards up!

What I dont like:

- No AF beyond f/5.6, But I can understand Canon's reasoning (Its a system optimized for accuracy using fast lenses... which kinda suits this camera's purpose.. How many wedding photogs shoot 5-series cameras? How many wedding photogs use teleconverters? Exactly..)

- The price.. $3500...just feels steep....

- IQ wise how will it compare to the Nikon's brute force of 36 megapixels, and more importantly, how will it compare to the 1DX... That second one is the bigger question to me... is the 4 megapixel difference going to make enough difference in noise performance to justify the extra $3000 for the 1DX? This appears to be 90% of the camera of the 1DX for 50% of the cost... That could be a good thing... Or Canon severely crippled the sensor on the 5D3 to not steal sales from the 1DX

- A Rate button.. Really? did we need this?

Ken

Your assuming those focal points will hit in low light.....No One know for sure

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 01, 2012 23:27 |  #155

SuicidnS13 wrote in post #14003522 (external link)
Ha Ha, whats funny is that they make a big deal about some seriously either dated or worthless options to those who shoot at a level that requires a 5d. The Creative Button on the top left is something not even 60d users use. Then the quiet shutter mode, came with the Nikon D700 in 2008. The overall build quality looks to be the same, maybe some slightly better weather sealing inside, but no upgraded materials any where on the outside. No real change in ergonomics. The D800 still seems to be the better camera out the box to me.

That's Engadget for you. Complete photographic idiots. In their hands-on of the D800 they blamed the 50mm f/1.8 for the camera shake they got when they took a picture at a dark subway station. They were getting raked over the coals for that in the comments section when they shut down the comments altogether :lol::lol::lol: Clowns. Never go to Engadget for anything photo related.

g0bl0k
552 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 01, 2012 23:27 as a reply to  @ wdwpsu's post |  #156

so when do we expect the price will go down a bit...say...to around $3K...come xmas time? LOL
or black friday??? :lol:

My Junk

datadump
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 01, 2012 23:27 |  #157

love the silent dial (for adjusting audio volume during recording)... i'm no video guy but thats really nifty.

datadump

BXPhoto
Goldmember
2,170 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 01, 2012 23:28 |  #158

umphotography wrote in post #14003525 (external link)
I think im going to get a low count 5D2 for about $1500.00 in the for sale forum....looks like cosmetic improvements to me, no F/8, Not that much iso and its $3500.00......not sure i Like what im reading

I have the same exact thoughts as you. Im keeping my current canon gear, but also adding a D800 or two. Probably get the wife a 5d Mark II for cheap now

My name is Andrew and I like Canon's!!!
Gearlist and Feedback
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
BeXposed Photography on ModelMayhem (external link)

datawiz2012
238 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 01, 2012 23:28 |  #159

umphotography wrote in post #14003525 (external link)
I think im going to get a low count 5D2 for about $1500.00 in the for sale forum....looks like cosmetic improvements to me, no F/8, Not that much iso and its $3500.00......not sure i Like what im reading

+1
Agree...I am not wowed

Desire to learn; a camera & a few other things.

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 01, 2012 23:28 |  #160

wdwpsu wrote in post #14003564 (external link)
That video is painful to watch...

Yes it was... Second video is saying availability late March.

Jason

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,920 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Mar 01, 2012 23:29 |  #161

Canon should have hit that 2999 price point. That 3500 gives the D800 a nice marketing crutch.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,028 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 01, 2012 23:29 |  #162

Brendo666 wrote in post #14003440 (external link)
Hopefully you got there before it got back ordered! Haha

vegasboy wrote in post #14003437 (external link)
from B&H?

Edited

website (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,212 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 01, 2012 23:29 |  #163

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #14003585 (external link)
That's Engadget for you. Complete photographic idiots. In their hands-on of the D800 they blamed the 50mm f/1.8 for the camera shake they got when they took a picture at a dark subway station. They were getting raked over the coals for that in the comments section when they shut down the comments altogether :lol::lol::lol: Clowns. Never go to Engadget for anything photo related.

Exactly.. They're morons over there

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

LucidPhoto70
206 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 01, 2012 23:30 |  #164

Easier to read specs on Adorama:

http://www.adorama.com …gn=Other&utm_so​urce=joelm (external link)

5D3 + L glass = FUN!

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 01, 2012 23:30 |  #165

So, for those who don't usually shoot at high ISOs, there's really little benefit other than an improved AF system.

sponsored links

425,464 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.