Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 Dec 2006 (Thursday) 20:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can't find the right bag? You NEED a POTN Safari Vest

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 12, 2011 15:55 as a reply to  @ post 12334451 |  #151

I've been pondering using a vest for years. There is the pretentiousness and/or geek factor...but I can get past that. :lol: My photography usually involves walking, ie mtn hiking or long walks thru wildlife refuges or local parks etc. I normally transload the equipment I'm going to use for a shoot into a Lowepro Slingshot 200. While that's worked well, it can get a little cumbersome when under fast changing lighting I want to change screw on filters and/or GNDs etc. If I have a jacet on, that works but too much of the year that's not available. Looking at the picture (thanks Sgt Ed) I'm not sure I'd really expect to waddle around with large, lumpy, heavy lenses bouncing in lower pockets and off my thighs. It also appears that for larger lens, they'll fit in but you can't zip them closed. I'm uncertain whether a vest would be in additon to or as a replacement to the Slingshot.....not that it has to always be one or the other.

While the comments here generally are highly favorable, I did note that others carry the same product often with different vendor labels (ie Campco/Humvee but also Rothco and others). Amazon's user comments are less positive, some love it but others dissed it.

Quality: Reading about materials, I initially assumed both the Combat and Safari versions were nylon.....only the Combat is. The Safari is made of 100% cotton, possibly an issue should it get wet, ie sweat or rain...not that it ever rains in the Pacific Northwest. Elsewhere there were reported issues with stitching and velcro coming off.

Style: I see few comments about using the Combat as a photog vest, presumably because the shorter length makes the lower pockets largely unusable for lenses (or at least larger lenses). The Combat model looks more like a chest wading fishing vest. Anyone use or recommend the Combat?

Color: I can't imagine wearing a black anything, especially nylon, on a hot summer day's hike....hot, hot, hot. But I can see that its a bit less obtrusive fashion wise, ie one would have one for "city/street/indoors" shoots and khaki version for warmer outdoor shoots.

Still looking...but maybe I should just bite the bullet on one and see if I should've never bought it....or bought one years ago!

sponsored links
BurBunny
405 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 26, 2011 21:35 as a reply to  @ Russ61's post |  #152

Just wanted to comment here, even though there's a more detailed description and exploration on my thread Scottevest on Busty Woman for Safari. I purchased the POTN/Humvee Safari vest and really like the design and overall value of it. However, as a short, curvy woman, the fit not so much. So I made some alterations and voila! One custom fit safari vest (details on the linked thread).

For the price, I don't think you can beat it. I will say there were a couple small issues with stitching (easily fixed), but for the price, less than half the price of the similar Domke vest for example, I'd say it's a great value for occasional use. The Domke looks to be a bit more robust in construction, but unless you're wearing it extensively, the more attractive pricing of the POTN vest makes it a no brainer.

-Amber
Underwater Photographer (Topside Photography Poseur)
Canon 60D | Canon 400D | Canon 60 f2.8 | Sigma 10-20 | Tokina 10-17 FE | Sigma 18-200 DC OS | Sigma 150-500 DC OS | Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS MkII | Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS | Seatool XTi Underwater Housing | Seatool 60mm Port | Seatool Dome Port | Inon Strobes | 67mm macro lenses (2), Woody's diopter

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 16, 2011 12:57 |  #153

I have one of these vests, in cotton, and I rarely use it. It tends to be pretty hot here (Belize) and even the cotton vest doesn't breathe. Wearing it is oppressive, even though the pockets are very handy.

If I'm actively shooting the vest can be quite useful, but if I'm on the trail it certainly isn't. Apart from the sweating aspect, if it rains my gear is all extremely vulnerable. I'd much rather carry it all in a waterproof backpack, maybe with the vest so I can slip it on when I start shooting.

But if I'm walking and want to take shots intermittently but quite frequently, I mount my Canon G10 in its waterproof housing and carry that externally. The SLR gear stays in the bag.

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,157 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 21, 2011 09:44 |  #154

No pics, but I've warn my POTN vest across Africa, (Namibia and Botswana in the dry season) Ecuador and the Galapagos, Peru, (Cusco, Machu Pichu, Inca trial etc..)

I far prefer to spread the weight comfortably, than to have it all sitting on one shoulder in a bag.
The inner rear pocket has my rain poncho, so both me and the gear is dry if it rains.

IMHO gear in a backpack is out of reach in a decisive moment.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 16, 2011 16:10 |  #155

It's really disappointing that there aren't some better pictures available in this thread--I've been thinking about getting a vest, but the samples on the purchase site are horrible.

My Gearlist

steve40
188 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 29, 2011 20:34 |  #156

I just bought a Domke PhoTogs vest, haven't got a chance to use it yet. But I think its going to be a big advantage, over the cursed gadget bag. Which has to swing over your shoulder in the way, or needs a large mean guard dog to keep up with it, if you set it down.

I don't have the extra lens, of the DSLR's to keep up with. But do have filters, adapters, speed light, remote shutter release, and other assorted stuff. All this is a lot to dig through in a bag, but can be well organized in a decent vest. I am an old Fly Fisherman, and used to carrying things around in a vest, so its nothing to have to get used to for me. :)

PS. Also use to looking DORKY.

Steve40.
http://steveslandscape​s.50webs.com (external link)
Cameras: Canon G12, SX150 is, & A1200.
Darkroom & Printer: PhotoShop Elements 9, Canon Pixma iX6520.
Tripods: Manfrotto 190XPROB & Giottos MT 9251 + Several Heads.

fayf
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 16, 2012 09:46 |  #157

As convenient as it sounds, I still can't bring myself to wear a vest and look like a photography geek. We'll see how much longer I hold out. ;)

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 19, 2012 20:29 |  #158

Welcome to the forum fayf.
Have you seen the Billingham vest? The price alone makes other vests precious. Less geek there though.

Dave

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 24, 2012 13:44 |  #159

steve40 wrote in post #13617942 (external link)
I just bought a Domke PhoTogs vest, haven't got a chance to use it yet. But I think its going to be a big advantage, over the cursed gadget bag. Which has to swing over your shoulder in the way, or needs a large mean guard dog to keep up with it, if you set it down.

I don't have the extra lens, of the DSLR's to keep up with. But do have filters, adapters, speed light, remote shutter release, and other assorted stuff. All this is a lot to dig through in a bag, but can be well organized in a decent vest. I am an old Fly Fisherman, and used to carrying things around in a vest, so its nothing to have to get used to for me. :)

PS. Also use to looking DORKY.

My Domke vest is about 20 years old. Looks like new. Partly because I outgrew it. :(
Tried it on after doing Weight Watchers for a while. Darned thing fits well! I'm really happy!

Others looking for vest should look here; most economical price I have seen. Another source is Vested Interest if they're still around.

Dave

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 25, 2012 10:30 |  #160

My vest looks like new because I can't bring myself to wear it outside the house.

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

kflow11
84 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 27, 2012 21:32 as a reply to  @ peterbj7's post |  #161

Dang....I just ordered this vest on Friday from Ebay. I didn't know this same vest could have been ordered through here. Rookie mistake I guess, I would have loved to have the Canon Forum info on it though.

5D mkiii gripped/ 6D mkii gripped/ 7D mkii gripped/ 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS / 24- 70mm mkii f/2.8 L / 50mm f/1.2 II/ 600 EX
Kym Trice Photography (external link)

Michael ­ Tsao
78 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 02, 2012 04:10 |  #162

I still prefer a bag

kflow11
84 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 02, 2012 09:07 as a reply to  @ Michael Tsao's post |  #163

I contacted ProGear via ebay and was able to get the patch delivered with the vest.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D mkiii gripped/ 6D mkii gripped/ 7D mkii gripped/ 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS / 24- 70mm mkii f/2.8 L / 50mm f/1.2 II/ 600 EX
Kym Trice Photography (external link)

agnes5481
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 19, 2012 04:37 |  #164

Thank you so much for sharing this reviews..!!such a great thread to follow..!!

massage therapy schools (external link)

williamfriggle
702 posts
Gallery: 545 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 05, 2012 20:05 |  #165

I knowthis is a older thread, but I had to say something. I was looking around trying to find a new bag to lighten my load, but also fit what I need. Then I came here to read reviews and saw the vest review. And my mind went, BINGO!!!! See, the last 5 years I have needed a powerchair to get around. Using abag in a chair is a royal pain. I know the the vest will be perfect. Thanks for posting this. Over the past number of years, I have even at times not brought my camera, just because I did not want to deal with it. I know I will shoot more once I get this.

I do have one question if I may. I am a large guy. Not in height. But in weight. Yes, I am fat. How are these vest for sizing? Do they run small? Or large?

Thanks,

Bill

Nikon D500, Nikon 35 1.8G ED, Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, 18-70 3.5-4.5G ED, Nikon 200-500E ED VR F5.6, Yongnuo YN-568EX Speedlite.

sponsored links

147,275 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can't find the right bag? You NEED a POTN Safari Vest
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.