Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Mar 2012 (Friday) 01:37
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "The new 5DMIII is:"
Exceeded my expectations
9.3%
About right
41%
Disappointed
11.1%
Overpriced regardless
38.5%

837 voters, 836 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DMIII POLL: What do you think?

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,381 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 02, 2012 08:32 |  #46

I see the MkIII as what the MkII should have been. Had this come out 3.5 years ago, as the MkII, it would have been a trend setter, a body which set the bar so high that other cameras would have been left in the dust.

As it is, it's a nice upgrade. The AF improvements are appreciated but otherwise it's rather plain. Once again Canon is left trying to catch up.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,320 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 02, 2012 08:42 |  #47

As a satisfied 5DII owner, my over-riding thought has been "meh" ... I suppose that possibly correlates most closely with disappointment (although is actually something of a relief because it will lead to less jealousy) ...

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 02, 2012 08:44 |  #48

Yes, it's more expensive than a 5D Mark II...but it has 95% of the flagship auto-focusing system, which is not cheap. It also has a much-improved sensor (which you'd expect). And it has a host of other new features. Even though I don't like it, I can see and understand the extra $1,200 (+/-) cost.

So in my mind, the cost for the camera is justifiable. However, I suspect the upgrade cost mat not be justifiable for some 5D Mark II shooters.

Let's look at a photographer that primarily shoots landscapes. They care more about IQ at low ISOs. They don't have to care about the autofocus system. And they certainly don't care about high ISO performance. For the landscape photographer: probably not worth the extra $1,500-$1,600 to upgrade.

If I were a wedding photographer, it would absolutely be worth it for me. An extra two stops of low-light performance means better shots for my clients. A flagship autofocus definitely means better images for my clients. And the 6 frames per second will really help certain events I shoot throughout the evening. Check. If I were a working wedding photographer and funds were there, I'd absolutely upgrade.

Sports shooters? Well, while the 5D Mark III certainly has some great features, full-frame functionality is not that important and I can buy two Canon 7Ds and a $1K piece of glass for the same price as one Canon 5D Mark III body. And if I were a true sports pro, I'm already comfortable investing tens of thousands of dollars in glass...so I'd probably have my sights set on the Canon 1D X.

Studio photographer? Well, I'm probably going to stick with my 5D Mark II because my needs are somewhat similar to a landscape photographer. Frames per second doesn't matter. Autofocus doesn't have to be top of the line. And I wouldn't care so much about high IDO performance.

If money management is important to me, then the situations above generally apply. If I shoot a combination or all of the areas above, then I have to make a weighted decision. And if money is flowing and I have to have the best and latest thing...I would probably upgrade no matter what.

These are my current views... :)

Bryan

My Gear List

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 02, 2012 08:45 |  #49

It should be called the "5D Mark II Mark II".

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 02, 2012 08:49 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #50

How long do you think the price will stay at MSRP?

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Mar 02, 2012 08:50 |  #51

Tony-S wrote in post #14006145 (external link)
It should be called the "5D Mark II Mark II".

5D Mark II²

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 02, 2012 08:55 |  #52

AngryCorgi wrote in post #14006181 (external link)
5D Mark II²

If only it were two - or even half - logs better.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Mar 02, 2012 08:55 |  #53

http://www.dpreview.co​m …mkiii&products=​nikon_d800 (external link)

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

SJRobbins
360 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 02, 2012 08:58 |  #54

The geek in me loves how the ISO is now so high they can't store it in EXIF any more (maxes out at 65535) :-)

Canon 60D | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 nonVC | Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro | Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS | Canon 50mm f1.8 MkI | Carl Zeiss Jena DDR 135mm f3.5 | Loads of flashes 'n' stuff
flickr (external link)

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2012 08:59 |  #55

lol I am so going to laugh my a** off when I see you pessimists and haters have the 5D mk III in your gear list in the future.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

bfleck51
400 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 02, 2012 08:59 |  #56

Some nice added features...but...sorry excuse for an up grade with all the tech thats out there now

http://www.rivervalley​poodles.com/ (external link)
5D/7D/MKlll/D200

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,885 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 02, 2012 09:03 |  #57

2005GLI wrote in post #14005775 (external link)
was just looking at the specs, did I read that right, 102K ISO?? Crap i've been out of the camera loop for a while. I remember when getting 6400 ISO was a big deal.

I only shot Kodachrome 25 and 64. When I went to Ektar 100, I considered it a 'fast' film. I now consider ISO 800 fast. 102K? Words escape me.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

Fred ­ Meebley
320 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 02, 2012 09:05 |  #58

Thank you Nikon for the d700 and d800 that forced Canon to up their game. This will be the perfect camera for me after I wear out my 7d.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,381 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 02, 2012 09:14 |  #59

bps wrote in post #14006141 (external link)
Yes, it's more expensive than a 5D Mark II...but it has 95% of the flagship auto-focusing system, which is not cheap. It also has a much-improved sensor (which you'd expect). And it has a host of other new features. Even though I don't like it, I can see and understand the extra $1,200 (+/-) cost.

I've been spending the morning looking at the samples and comparing them to some of my MkII pics and I got to say, I'm not really seeing much of an improvement at all. The high ISO samples 3200, 6400 are heavily noise reduced and when I take a 6400 MkII pic and crank up the NR, it's almost identical. I know it's too early to really make a real assessment, but I'm not getting that WOW!! feeling.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,447 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 02, 2012 09:45 |  #60

AF looks pretty good.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links

21,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DMIII POLL: What do you think?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.