Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 01, 2012 17:27 |  #6406

JWright wrote in post #14000578 (external link)
... You might think "Well, we can hear the train coming." Guess again... Trains are not as loud as one may think and by the time they get into sight it's going to be too late. Once the engineers sees you on the tracks, he's not going to be able to stop in time...

Everyone should take heed. Most people think that trains are incredibly loud because they are used to watching them as they pass by. And, often a train can be heard coming at you from a safe distance.

But, when conditions are exactly right, it's possible to not even hear a train until it's almost upon you. And it isn't just when it's windy, or just when there's lots of background noise, there are a bunch of seemingly random times when trains just don't give much warning.

Personally, I feel like the political correctness of the situation is a non-issue. The most important factor is the possibility that a photographer could contribute to someone's death just to get an over-done cliché of a shot. Go ahead and risk your own life but don't screw around with someone else's.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

sponsored links
bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 01, 2012 18:37 |  #6407

cacawcacaw wrote in post #14000867 (external link)
Everyone should take heed. Most people think that trains are incredibly loud because they are used to watching them as they pass by. And, often a train can be heard coming at you from a safe distance.

But, when conditions are exactly right, it's possible to not even hear a train until it's almost upon you. And it isn't just when it's windy, or just when there's lots of background noise, there are a bunch of seemingly random times when trains just don't give much warning.

Personally, I feel like the political correctness of the situation is a non-issue. The most important factor is the possibility that a photographer could contribute to someone's death just to get an over-done cliché of a shot. Go ahead and risk your own life but don't screw around with someone else's.

I gotta agree with the rail road police also :P
and really those shots are over done.

we got tracks here that aren't used... and parts of tracks that are physically separated from the rail system

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 01, 2012 19:14 as a reply to  @ bedojo's post |  #6408

bobbyz wrote in post #14000636 (external link)
The Rail Police. Sorry couldn't help.

Way off topic - Does some one have stastics of how many folks die per yr from photogs shooting on (mostly abondened) rail road tracks?

babel_fish wrote in post #14000654 (external link)
holy crap, are those rail police stuff serious?

civil liberties /flushtoilet

You can scoff and make light of it, but this is very serious stuff.

cacawcacaw wrote in post #14000867 (external link)

Thanks. That's the best attitude to have.

John

Rich1971
92 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 01, 2012 22:06 |  #6409

Rich1971 wrote in post #13984188 (external link)
I really like the picture, I just think she is too dark. Awesome background! She blends in too dark with the background. Cool shot!

I did a couple edits if I may be so bold! :) Just dodged the image you had...
Rich

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Rich
"Yes I am serious... And don't call me Shirley" - L. Nielson
Canon 50d / 580ex II / 24-70L 2.8 / EF28-135/ EF70-300/ EF85 1.8-elichrom 4d lite. Paul Buff White Lightning X-1600.Paul Buff Octa/Strip Bank/Large Softbox

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 01, 2012 23:03 |  #6410

JWright wrote in post #14000578 (external link)
I work around trains a lot as a volunteer at a railroad museum and the best advice I can give anyone about shooting on the tracks is

DON'T DO IT!!!

This makes me want to do it.

:p

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 01, 2012 23:08 |  #6411

So I am guessing my pictures (from a few years ago) with the train coming up behind the senior would not be good to share! lol

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 02, 2012 00:55 |  #6412

jmalonear wrote in post #14003390 (external link)
So I am guessing my pictures (from a few years ago) with the train coming up behind the senior would not be good to share! lol

In 2006? :)

JACKSON — Helen Gable was taking pictures on the railroad tracks in Tupelo in 2006 when a train cut her leg nearly off as she tried to get out of the way. Gable and her husband are suing the BNSF Railway Company for nearly $6 million. ... Helen Gable says in the lawsuit that the company should have posted no-trespassing signs to keep people away from the tracks. ..."Helen Gable, while taking pictures of her niece's daughter, was exercising due care" while standing on the tracks, the lawsuit said. ..."What may have seemed a harmless photo opportunity is among the more dangerous activities any human being can engage in with a railroad," Lundsberg said. (external link)

Actually, the odds of being hit by a train are incredibly small, but how stupid would you feel...? Odds are that no one here will every be hit by a train, but why tempt fate unless the results are worth it? Every time I see a railroad tracks shot I imagine someone fresh from class who's overjoyed to see the converging lines their instructor was talking about.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 02, 2012 06:29 |  #6413

babel_fish wrote in post #14000654 (external link)
holy crap, are those rail police stuff serious?

civil liberties /flushtoilet

Yes, there are people that patrol railroads (usually railroad employed and they take trespassing very seriously, at least from a safety point of view. The PSA is probably a change in their stance. Usually it is an "opportunity" for them to teach people about how dangerous trains can be).

I am kind of surprised to hear about "silent trains" - I heard last night's trains and I live three miles away from them.

That being said, I know some very real abandoned railroad tracks - I know where the break is in the middle of them. It is really kind of hard to be sure they are railroad tracks because they are that overgrown. Frequently, though, many assume railroad tracks are "abandoned" because they live several miles from them and have never seen the trains that use them. If the right of way is obvious and there is only a few weeds here and there growing up in the track, it really is probably better not to use them.

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 02, 2012 08:32 as a reply to  @ wuzzittoya's post |  #6414

Post your train pics....LOL

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WJB-HsnBK6M/TYqVj5C8AqI/AAAAAAAASHU/52cit9MGfhw/s800/IMG_7573-1-4_FACEBOOK_FF.jpg

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 02, 2012 08:47 as a reply to  @ USER876's post |  #6415

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5221/5678453346_39459a76ed_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …shankar_hokie/5​678453346/  (external link)
IMG_9436 (external link) by shankar_hokie (external link), on Flickr

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

jhuckelberry
226 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 02, 2012 08:47 |  #6416

bedojo wrote in post #14001401 (external link)
I gotta agree with the rail road police also :P
and really those shots are over done.

we got tracks here that aren't used... and parts of tracks that are physically separated from the rail system

This is such a bogus argument. Every type of shot is "over done". And for the person getting the shots, it's not over done, and likely the only one they've ever had.

Canon 7D / Tamron 17-50mm / Canon 50mm 1.8 / Canon 85mm 1.8 / Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 / 580EXii
Huckelberry Photography (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​jhuckelberry/sets (external link)My Flickr (external link)

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 02, 2012 09:04 |  #6417

USER876 wrote in post #14006065 (external link)
Post your train pics....LOL

QUOTED IMAGE

Heather!!! <3

she's now a local model that i've worked with a couple of times.

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 02, 2012 09:39 |  #6418

cacawcacaw wrote in post #14004300 (external link)
In 2006? :)

lol..That one was not me

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 02, 2012 09:50 |  #6419

umphotography wrote in post #13998758 (external link)
Pham

I like the product.

Question

Where are you hosting your photos, what are the costs to host them ? If the hosting costs are reasonable, this looks like a good solution ??

Thanks for posting this Pham

Mike,
this software is heavy with lots of options..
I am learning all it can do, there is a dedicated forum as well J
What I think is going to help me is the a la cart pricing, cropping, and package pricing system. I also like it that it has an early bird special, to force the client to order earlier than later. And it give the admin. Info on what galleries are being viewed and the count of views..
Adding photo products for sale has always been my weakness and now once I set it up and show a picture of the product , Clients have a much better understanding of what is offered and prices and i don't have to tell them, though I have the display on my product table as they walk in. I need to work on my sales methodology !

I think this senior railroad track issue has merit on both sides of the lines.
Some think it is extremely dangerous
Some think it is ok to do
But the bottom line is safety. You don’t want to put your client at risk, it is up to you and your client.
It is no different than walking on or by the street and getting hit by a car and I think CARS can sneak up on you more than trains can.. anyways just be aware of your surrounds and talk to your client about safety and level of risk is all I am saying..

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,684 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 02, 2012 09:58 as a reply to  @ phamster's post |  #6420

It is no different than walking on or by the street and getting hit by a car and I think CARS can sneak up on you more than trains can.[/SIZE]

Seriously, Prius's are like the Cheetahs of cars.

Shane
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,680,417 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.