Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 02, 2012 10:01 |  #6421

charro callado wrote in post #14006318 (external link)
Heather!!! <3

she's now a local model that i've worked with a couple of times.

Glad to hear she got signed with an agency. I lost touch with her but we had a good session.

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 02, 2012 10:06 |  #6422

JakAHearts wrote in post #14006779 (external link)
Seriously, Prius's are like the Cheetahs of cars.

OT - Don't even start me on Prius drivers, much worse then even BMW drivers.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 02, 2012 10:43 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #6423

I hope this one gets thrown out. They're trying to blame the railroad for their stupidity. And the signs are there. The BNSF tracks around here are just littered with them.

phamster wrote in post #14006711 (external link)

I think this senior railroad track issue has merit on both sides of the lines.
Some think it is extremely dangerous
Some think it is ok to do
But the bottom line is safety. You don’t want to put your client at risk, it is up to you and your client.
It is no different than walking on or by the street and getting hit by a car and I think CARS can sneak up on you more than trains can.. anyways just be aware of your surrounds and talk to your client about safety and level of risk is all I am saying..

Trains magazine put it very succinctly: People who would never try to walk on an airport runway or an interstate highway somehow think they can walk on a railroad..."

John

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 02, 2012 10:48 |  #6424

I am an engineer on a class one railroad. I can assure you that if your on a track that is in use, you are in danger of both death and being fined/arrested. We are required to report anyone on the tracks and there are video cameras on most locomotives that film you as we approach. So we have to report or we will go down with you. As an engineer that has ran over someone (two pedestrians, 3 vehicles and one 18 wheeler), I ask you to take it seriously. None of the aforementioned people expected to get hit by the train.

With that said, find some abandoned tracks and shoot away.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 02, 2012 10:52 |  #6425

What about shooting near the tracks, doing waiste up and have the tracks in the background? give the illusion of being on the tracks but not quite. *or is it quiet? hmm*

Canon investor

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 02, 2012 11:02 |  #6426

GerryDavid wrote in post #14007148 (external link)
What about shooting near the tracks, doing waiste up and have the tracks in the background? give the illusion of being on the tracks but not quite. *or is it quiet? hmm*

I have never turned in anyone that wasn't ON the tracks. I can always say I didn't see them if questioned. Our homeland security rules say that we are supposed to be "vigilant" and turn in anything/anyone suspicious. Kids throwing rocks at us on the side of the tracks are just kids being kids. But the trespassing comes in if you are anywhere on the right-of-way which is pretty much anywhere the rocks are and out into the treeline. If your close enough to make it look like they appear to be on the tracks, then your probably trespassing. In danger of harm no, fine yes.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

JWright
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 02, 2012 11:07 |  #6427

cbknight wrote in post #14007124 (external link)
I am an engineer on a class one railroad. I can assure you that if your on a track that is in use, you are in danger of both death and being fined/arrested. We are required to report anyone on the tracks and there are video cameras on most locomotives that film you as we approach. So we have to report or we will go down with you. As an engineer that has ran over someone (two pedestrians, 3 vehicles and one 18 wheeler), I ask you to take it seriously. None of the aforementioned people expected to get hit by the train.

With that said, find some abandoned tracks and shoot away.

Or a rail museum like I suggested above...

GerryDavid wrote in post #14007148 (external link)

As long as you're off the right-of-way and off railroad property you should be fine. There's an area here in San Diego where the tracks run through an open space park. Amtrak runs ten trains or more a day on the line and there's a commuter railroad that runs almost hourly as well. The park is used by hikers, bicyclists and dog walkers, but they manage to coexist with the railroad because they stay off railroad property.

John

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 02, 2012 11:18 |  #6428

phamster wrote in post #14006711 (external link)
Mike,
this software is heavy with lots of options..
I am learning all it can do, there is a dedicated forum as well J
What I think is going to help me is the a la cart pricing, cropping, and package pricing system. I also like it that it has an early bird special, to force the client to order earlier than later. And it give the admin. Info on what galleries are being viewed and the count of views..
Adding photo products for sale has always been my weakness and now once I set it up and show a picture of the product , Clients have a much better understanding of what is offered and prices and i don't have to tell them, though I have the display on my product table as they walk in. I need to work on my sales methodology !

I think this senior railroad track issue has merit on both sides of the lines.
Some think it is extremely dangerous
Some think it is ok to do
But the bottom line is safety. You don’t want to put your client at risk, it is up to you and your client.
It is no different than walking on or by the street and getting hit by a car and I think CARS can sneak up on you more than trains can.. anyways just be aware of your surrounds and talk to your client about safety and level of risk is all I am saying..

Pham im seeing this as well. I looked on their site about hosting galleries. Looks like many are going to use smug. where are you going to host your files. Fell free to drop me a pm. Very interested in this. Looks great:cool:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 02, 2012 11:19 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #6429

HEY TIFFY

did you see the update:eek: ?????????

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 02, 2012 11:27 |  #6430

I think Im going to stop offering track pictures unless I can find some that are not used for sure. How do you find out other than camping out for a week to see if a train goes by. :D

I discovered a great spot last week, I think the trains have to go very slow *walking speed* to go over the bridge that does pretty good turn. I was killing time last week after I discovered the place and was scouting locations and the train went by, going very very slowly. The bad part was I was on the other side of the tracks and that was the only way to get back to the car, there was a river on the other side with cool scenery. Of course it was getting cold and I wasnt wearing a jacket. It took 15 min for them to pass I think. :)

Since the track curves so much I could do a head and shoulders shot and have the tracks in the back no problem, and be 10 yards from the actual tracks.

What are the actual fines? So I can tell the clients so they will decide its not worth it. :D

Canon investor

shankarhokie
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 02, 2012 11:32 |  #6431

JakAHearts wrote in post #14006779 (external link)
Seriously, Prius's are like the Cheetahs of cars.

Most hybrids & electric vehicles are that way. Actually NHTSA has asked these vehicles to emit some audible noise to alert pedestrians.

Shankar
Perpetual learner.
FLICKR (external link) -- Gear-- Facebook (external link)

JWright
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 02, 2012 11:45 as a reply to  @ shankarhokie's post |  #6432

GerryDavid wrote in post #14007377 (external link)
I think Im going to stop offering track pictures unless I can find some that are not used for sure. How do you find out other than camping out for a week to see if a train goes by. :D

I discovered a great spot last week, I think the trains have to go very slow *walking speed* to go over the bridge that does pretty good turn. I was killing time last week after I discovered the place and was scouting locations and the train went by, going very very slowly. The bad part was I was on the other side of the tracks and that was the only way to get back to the car, there was a river on the other side with cool scenery. Of course it was getting cold and I wasnt wearing a jacket. It took 15 min for them to pass I think. :)

Since the track curves so much I could do a head and shoulders shot and have the tracks in the back no problem, and be 10 yards from the actual tracks.

What are the actual fines? So I can tell the clients so they will decide its not worth it. :D

Fines are going to vary. Each court sets their own fine structure but I can tell you they will be high.

John

bedojo
Goldmember
1,301 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 02, 2012 11:57 |  #6433

shankarhokie wrote in post #14007414 (external link)
Most hybrids & electric vehicles are that way. Actually NHTSA has asked these vehicles to emit some audible noise to alert pedestrians.

I almost got reversed into by a prius lol. thing was a few inches away from me before i even noticed it was turned on >.>

follow me 500px (external link) || Facebook Page (external link) || Flickr (external link) || Website & Blog (external link) ||Feedback: 1 2
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 || 18mm f2.0 || 35mm f1.4 || 60mm f2.4 || AB800 || YN560 || Gordy Wrist Strap || Billingham Hadley Pro ||

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 02, 2012 12:06 |  #6434

bedojo wrote in post #14007595 (external link)
I almost got reversed into by a prius lol. thing was a few inches away from me before i even noticed it was turned on >.>

I think there was an episode of "Weeds" where a gangbanger bought a prius for silent drive bys..

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 02, 2012 12:16 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #6435

umphotography wrote in post #14007312 (external link)
HEY TIFFY

did you see the update:eek: ?????????

What update?

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

sponsored links

2,730,499 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.