Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 22:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced

Ricku
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 03, 2012 06:43 |  #1756
bannedPermanent ban

kcbrown wrote in post #14013177 (external link)
Well, I think this image pretty much drives home what this camera is capable of, or, rather, not capable of:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com …_mark_iii/12_ci​nc_big.jpg (external link)

Despite the excellent lens (400 f/2.8L at f/4), the proper shutter speed (1/800th of a second), the low ISO (ISO 100), and the obviously in-focus image, the result still lacks the per-pixel detail you'd expect.

Normally I might chalk this up to a bad JPEG engine in the camera, but according to the EXIF data, this shot was processed with DPP, which means this is from the raw image.

Oh. My. Gawd. :shock:

We'll have to wait for the camera to hit the streets before we really see what it's capable of, but the 7D puts the images such as the above to shame. This camera will fall down hard if it's really as bad at retaining detail as the above image suggests it might be.

Again, I feel sorry for the hopeless optimists who have placed a preorder on this camera.

I won't do anything before I've seen some proper reviews and comparisons.

5D II 35L 135L 70-200 2.8L II Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 03, 2012 06:48 |  #1757

Ricku wrote in post #14013271 (external link)
Again, I feel sorry for the hopeless optimists who have placed a preorder on this camera.

Preorders can be canceled and cameras can be returned. No need to feel sorry. ;)

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 03, 2012 07:00 |  #1758

Well, I think this image pretty much drives home what this camera is capable of, or, rather, not capable of:

Despite the excellent lens (400 f/2.8L at f/4), the proper shutter speed (1/800th of a second), the low ISO (ISO 100), and the obviously in-focus image, the result still lacks the per-pixel detail you'd expect.

Normally I might chalk this up to a bad JPEG engine in the camera, but according to the EXIF data, this shot was processed with DPP, which means this is from the raw image.

We'll have to wait for the camera to hit the streets before we really see what it's capable of, but the 7D puts the images such as the above to shame. This camera will fall down hard if it's really as bad at retaining detail as the above image suggests it might be.

Good catch to point this one out. I'm asking because I don't know:
Any chance this was handheld? Doubtful with a 400 2.8 but 1/800 isn't a great shutter speed if handholding a huge lens. Doesn't really look it to me but I'm not great at that kind of analysis. Of course even if it was or if there's some other technical explanation for the appearance of this one I'd still fault Canon for using it as an example .

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

peteg1
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 03, 2012 07:03 as a reply to  @ dgrPhotos's post |  #1759

Does anyone know if the 5D mkIII instruction manual (PDF) is out yet, don’t see it on Canon’s web site.

Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 03, 2012 07:04 |  #1760

Canon should have simply used popular Canon photogs to use the 5D3 and display their own galleries with it. Similar to this: http://imaging.nikon.c​om …/microsite/d800​/index.htm (external link)

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 03, 2012 07:13 |  #1761

This image actually looks oversharpened on my monitor - stair-stepping whiskers, for starters...?

Is that happening on anyone else's? :(

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 03, 2012 07:20 |  #1762

Ricku wrote in post #14013271 (external link)

"feeling sorry" is not enough
There were "hopeless optimists" who believed in the 5D and 5D2 and now you are telling them the 5D3 has no hope?

john0213
117 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 03, 2012 07:20 |  #1763

Am I the only one feeling that there's some kind of conspiracies between Canon and Nikon that they team up together to design the opposite of what their previous model used to be, so making all consumers shuffle camps and jump to the other brand hence boosting both companies' sales on their lenses and accessories?

after all, they are corporation that view profit as their priority.

+++++++++++++++
My photo Blog, the road to success!!
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/inagawa/ (external link)
+++++++++++++++

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 03, 2012 07:23 |  #1764

john0213 wrote in post #14013369 (external link)
Am I the only one feeling that there's some kind of conspiracies between Canon and Nikon that they team up together to design the opposite of what their previous model used to be, so making all consumers shuffle camps and jump to the other brand hence boosting both companies' sales on their lenses and accessories?

It could be a big conspiracy ..... if you are a conspiracy theorist.
Do you believe camera decisions come from the Tri-lateral Commission ?

john0213
117 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 03, 2012 07:34 |  #1765

It might not even have anything to do with Tri-lateral Commission. My feeling comes from the fact that Japanese has an extremely indifferent corporation culture unlike the western world, it's not their first time competing corporation teaming up together in achieving benefit for both sides.

For example, the unspoken gentlemen agreement back in the day when all Japanese automotive manufactures were not allow to make cars exceeding 280hp. This unwritten and unspoken agreement held only up to recently that Japanese automotive manufactures no longer follow such rules.

+++++++++++++++
My photo Blog, the road to success!!
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/inagawa/ (external link)
+++++++++++++++

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 03, 2012 07:44 |  #1766

john0213 wrote in post #14013369 (external link)

It is possible, this is a classic "Prisoner's Dilemma" Nash equilibrium situation
http://en.wikipedia.or​g …ssic_prisoners.​27_dilemma (external link)

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 03, 2012 07:48 |  #1767

john0213 wrote in post #14013391 (external link)
It might not even have anything to do with Tri-lateral Commission. My feeling comes from the fact that Japanese has an extremely indifferent corporation culture unlike the western world, it's not their first time competing corporation teaming up together in achieving benefit for both sides.

For example, the unspoken gentlemen agreement back in the day when all Japanese automotive manufactures were not allow to make cars exceeding 280hp. This unwritten and unspoken agreement held only up to recently that Japanese automotive manufactures no longer follow such rules.

"Keiretsu" Conspiracy !

The Chinese probably play some part of this conspiracy, a manipulation behind the scenes

Ivann
244 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 03, 2012 07:49 |  #1768
bannedPermanent ban

john0213 wrote in post #14013391 (external link)

True, and I wouldn't be very surprised if there is some kind of agreement between Canon and Nikon.

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 03, 2012 07:54 |  #1769

RhysPhotograph.Me wrote in post #14012871 (external link)
Reminds me of 7D files...

you obviously have seen bad examples posted or had a bad experience with the 7D ... :confused:

Ivann
244 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 03, 2012 07:57 |  #1770
bannedPermanent ban

Tsmith wrote in post #14013458 (external link)
you obviously have seen bad examples posted or had a bad experience with the 7D ... :confused:

yup! It really looks like a bad 7D sample.

sponsored links

449,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.