Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 22:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,920 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Mar 03, 2012 10:13 |  #1831

DarthVader wrote in post #14014073 (external link)
:lol: also compare to 1DX you're saving lots lots of $$$ buying 5D III.

No one wants to hear of such savings! :lol:

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

sponsored links
Ivann
244 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 03, 2012 10:14 |  #1832
bannedPermanent ban

vipergts831 wrote in post #14014063 (external link)
What do you define as "way way better" ? Just wondering.

At least around 1,5 - 2 stops for raw files + great improvements in overall DR.

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 03, 2012 10:14 |  #1833

DarthVader wrote in post #14014059 (external link)
Nope, one has 1 AF point the other 19 so total you only have 20. 5D III has 61 so assuming 1 AF point is $50, it's like 41x50=$2050 worth of addition on the Mark III :).

lol, I love your logic. :)

Let's not do the same for MP.. I don't want the Nokia to become the best value camera in the world ;)

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

vipergts831
43,920 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 03, 2012 10:14 |  #1834

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14014071 (external link)
LOL, so many complaints about AF points through the years, but really, I think the issue was more about the AF point spread. 9 points would be okay if you had them spread around the frame a bit more than a diamond cluster in the middle of the frame.

I cannot wait for all the front/back focus issues that will invariably occur when people don't understand that those little boxes are just AF indicators and are not the size of the AF sensors. :lol: Seems to happen when some move from just a few AF points to a camera that has several more tightly packed AF points.

Oh no it will be a Part Deux of the "My 7D cant focus" threads :lol:

Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 03, 2012 10:15 |  #1835

Ivann wrote in post #14014083 (external link)

Not sure about the DR yet, but the 5D3 when it's all said and done, will most likely be considered 1.5 stops better.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

vipergts831
43,920 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 03, 2012 10:16 |  #1836

Ivann wrote in post #14014083 (external link)

Seems like 1.5 has occurred but we have to hold judgment until actual files are coming out from real world use :)

EchoLocation
102 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 03, 2012 10:24 |  #1837

Max Powers wrote in post #14014034 (external link)
I'm keeping my 5DC. It IS just a hobby, therefore I really can't justify 3500$.

I don't really understand, EchoLocation.

I love my 5DC, but I live in a very dusty area and there is no sensor cleaner to speak of...
I always carry a 270EX flash just for random fill shots, it's annoying.
I want better AF
The screen is horrible and really makes looking at the pictures I took difficult.

I will probably wait about 6 months for the dust to settle and then potentially switch to a D700 and a Nikon 24-70. I really wanted an affordable 5DIII and a 24-70 2.8 II for 1800 dollars, but these new prices are just rubbing me the wrong way.
I always thought of Nikon as the Apple like overpriced more specialized Co. while Canon was more the PC, but it all seems a little backwards now.
I'm definitely in sticker shock over the III.
My other choice is to just go with an M9, which is sounding sweeter and sweeter daily as I look towards something with superb IQ, a smaller size and the pure joy of my Minolta.
It's fun to think about and I'll enjoy using my 5DC and 24-105 in the meantime.

Canon 5D, Canon 550D, 24-105 F4L, Sigma 50mm 1.4, 550EX

KarlGB77
556 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 03, 2012 10:25 |  #1838

This thread is cracking me up.

LOLOL

So, we have nothing to work with in the way of good images to view but what is out there as samples.
And folks are basing their comments on Those.

How about the folks that got their hands on it a couple weeks ago or a day or two ago.
They think it's Outstanding.

A lot energy being expended.

I have the 5D2 and it sounds like from the reviews of those who have tested the 5D3 is that it Rocks.

Time will tell.

But to go Off....here, when no one has even taken a picture with it is just high comedy.

Sorry.

Just thought I would put that out there.

I liked the comment from the planet 5d video where they focused on some piping in the ceiling that was dark and it focused instantly. Said the 5d2 would hunt and hunt.
And the Belgium guy said the IQ was way better as well as the Canon wedding photographer.

And folks are trying to make judgements on what is out there based on some jpegs and other stuff and posting as if they have been slapped in the face.

Just......amazing.

I think I will go with what the folks who have shot with it recently are saying.

Enjoy the thread.

Canon 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, T2i (2), 24-105 f4LIS, 17-40 f4L, 70-200f4L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 100 2.8, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 50 1.8, 15-85 f4-5.6 IS, 60 2.8, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 430 EX II, 580 EX II, Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod w/ 498RC2, Calumet 8121 Tripod, Manfrotto 679B Monopod w/ 234 RC2 head

vipergts831
43,920 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 03, 2012 10:26 |  #1839

EchoLocation wrote in post #14014118 (external link)
I love my 5DC, but I live in a very dusty area and there is no sensor cleaner to speak of...
I want better AF
The screen is horrible and really makes looking at the pictures I took difficult.

I will probably wait about 6 months for the dust to settle and then potentially switch to a D700 and a Nikon 24-70. I really wanted an affordable 5DIII and a 24-70 2.8 II for 1800 dollars, but these new prices are just rubbing me the wrong way.
I always thought of Nikon as the Apple like overpriced more specialized Co. while Canon was more the PC, but it all seems a little backwards now.
My other choice is to just go with an M9, which is sounding sweeter and sweeter daily as I look towards something with superb IQ, a smaller size and the pure joy of my Minolta.

So the price of the 5dmkIII is sticker shock but your other choice in an M9 isnt???

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,077 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 03, 2012 10:26 |  #1840

dgrPhotos wrote in post #14013618 (external link)
So the same old story over there. Fred Miranda is turning into the same crap which is a shame because I like their FS board.

Yes. I used to really like it there but not so much now. I still go there occasionally for flash/lighting info as Chuck Gardner is very helpful. There are a few others that are good as well but I can most of my info here. Just a different perspective. I like the user reviews.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 03, 2012 10:33 as a reply to  @ vipergts831's post |  #1841

vipergts831 wrote in post #14013960 (external link)
The world wouldn't be the same if we didn't have these cycles of emotions :D

It's called PMS :lol:

5DIII specs sounds nice. Looking forward to all the RAW, and of course the Adobe upgrade ;)

I'll stick with waiting for the 1DX in any case

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 03, 2012 10:35 |  #1842

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14014071 (external link)
LOL, so many complaints about AF points through the years, but really, I think the issue was more about the AF point spread. 9 points would be okay if you had them spread around the frame a bit more than a diamond cluster in the middle of the frame.

If nothing else good comes out of the 5DIII, at least it will have eliminated tiresome complaints about the diamond pattern and non-cross-type outer AF points. And when I say "tiresome" I mean that I was tired of complaining about it :lol: I quite look forward to complaints about the new AF system actually. It'll be a breath of fresh air!

Max ­ Powers
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2012 10:36 |  #1843

EchoLocation wrote in post #14014118 (external link)
I want better AF

I'm confused to say the least...

What's the problem with the 5D II? Why not just sell your 5Dc and go for the II? Makes more sense than moving straight to the III if price is a concern.

But then you go onto talk about the M9.. So I'll leave it at that.

Nikon D600
-Samyang 14mm f2.8 -Nikon 50mm 1.8G -Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR
-Nikon 24-120 f3.5-5.6 D
flickr (external link)||500px (external link)

vipergts831
43,920 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 03, 2012 10:37 |  #1844

Candersson wrote in post #14014164 (external link)
It's called PMS :lol:

5DIII specs sounds nice. Looking forward to all the RAW, and of course the Adobe upgrade ;)

I'll stick with waiting for the 1DX in any case

1DX? So over priced! ;) :p :lol:

vipergts831
43,920 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 03, 2012 10:38 |  #1845

Max Powers wrote in post #14014178 (external link)
I'm confused to say the least...

What's the problem with the 5D II? Why not just sell your 5Dc and go for the II? Makes more sense than moving straight to the III if price is a concern.

But then you go onto talk about the M9.. So I'll leave it at that.

Or sell his 5dc and get the 5dIII. His target price point was 2500 so that would get him closer to that. Unless his 2500 price point was his total budget inclusive of the 5dc being sold off then it is a different story.

sponsored links

425,387 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.