Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 22:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced

Ivann
244 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 03, 2012 15:51 |  #2056
bannedPermanent ban

timnosenzo wrote in post #14015924 (external link)
That section of the photo looks completely out of focus. :confused:

It was taken at f7.1 tho. What kind of photographer misses focus at this aperture and then puts it on the web?

I dont think it is out of focus.

sponsored links
RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 03, 2012 15:52 |  #2057
bannedPermanent ban

kcbrown wrote in post #14015906 (external link)
Well, then the 5D2 can't get any closer. Here's the proof: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/in​dex.php?topic=62846.0 (external link)

The 7D's "problem" isn't the AA filter, it's the insistence on testing its capabilities with anything less than the best glass. Put ultra-sharp glass on it and it will perform. The sensor is just very demanding of the glass that's available, but lens manufacturers are rising to the challenge and producing glass that is capable of producing very sharp, detailed images on the 7D.

I thought that, but the Nex 7 even being 24mp doesn't seem to suffer softness. It seems sharper than just about any FF sensor out there (that I can find) with maybe the exception of the M9?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Wedding photography (external link)

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 03, 2012 15:54 |  #2058

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14015940 (external link)
I thought that too, but I would hope Bob would have thought about that as he snipped out a section of his image. The eyes and behind seem to be in focus, where the eyebrows are not. But nothing in that section looks really great.

look at the caption, if you are talking about the photo i think your talking about. It was taken from the Canon sample image

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 03, 2012 15:54 |  #2059

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14015940 (external link)
I thought that too, but I would hope Bob would have thought about that as he snipped out a section of his image. The eyes and behind seem to be in focus, where the eyebrows are not. But nothing in that section looks really great.

Ivann wrote in post #14015946 (external link)
It was taken at f7.1 tho. What kind of photographer misses focus at this aperture and then puts it on the web?

I dont think it is out of focus.

Guys, I don't believe he took this image - unless he took it for Canon. It says right under the image:

100% crop from an image posted by Canon. ISO 3200, Canon EOS 5D MkIII, EF50mm F1.2L USM @ f7.1

The full image is out there somewhere.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 03, 2012 15:54 |  #2060

TeamSpeed...even if those eyes weren't dead sharp, which they are, this pic would be a winner!
(BTW is it legal to put really nice pics in this thread?:cool::cool:)

Growing old disgracefully!

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,084 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 03, 2012 15:54 |  #2061

dgrPhotos wrote in post #14014235 (external link)
Get on a preorder list early so you don't have to wait months to get it because it's back ordered. If more reviews come out and you don't like it then cancel. If you think you will like and and then you don't then return it. All preordering does is give you the chance to get it early, not make or break your photography career. As long as money isn't the issue then I think it's an easy decision. This system isn't going to go through a price drop anytime soon.

Exactly and thank you!!!! It's a win win situation. Why? Simple. If someone is very interested in the 5D III or D800, why not hurry up and pre-order it? The faster you do, the quicker you will receive it. If you wait, and the reviews turn out great, you'll have to now wait even longer with back orders and delays. And not to mention that when you pre order, you are NOT charged until it ships. Let me say that again. You are NOT charged until it ships. I accidentally had 2 in my shopping cart,(yes, for that I qualify as being an idiot) when I hit the buy button. My credit card has a pending charge of 50.00. Whoopie. So, if we start to see some True RAW files in the next couple of weeks, and they are horrific , all ya have to do is cancel it before its released. Period. And if you do buy it and don't like it, return it. It's that simple. End of story. No harm done.

To me the people who go around ripping people for pre ordering fall into 3 camps.

Jealously
Can't afford to upgrade
Trying to justify why they didnt wait long enough for the announcent and bought something else which is now past their return date.

If anything the pre order boys and girls should be applauded because who do you think everyone will be waiting on for real life reviews? Oh that's right the morons who pre ordered it. Lol

Peace,

Christian

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,346 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 03, 2012 15:55 |  #2062

KCY wrote in post #14015964 (external link)
look at the caption, if you are talking about the photo i think your talking about. It was taken from the Canon sample image

Oh I missed that, and actually if you read his paragraph after it, he is only caring about ISO 3200 performance and not sharpness IQ. So yes, if that is from the Canon samples, then disregard, those are published for content, not IQ.

But Bert's images weren't particularly good either, again though, I don't know what he was shooting with, etc. Until we can get a 5D2 next to a 5D3 at the same exposures with the same lens, it is a pointless exercise, I guess.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 03, 2012 15:56 |  #2063
bannedPermanent ban

timnosenzo wrote in post #14015965 (external link)
Guys, I don't believe he took this image - unless he took it for Canon. It says right under the image:

The full image is out there somewhere.

http://mansurovs.com …mple-5-e1330673622829.jpg (external link)

Wedding photography (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 03, 2012 15:57 |  #2064

RhysPhotograph.Me wrote in post #14015957 (external link)
I thought that, but the Nex 7 even being 24mp doesn't seem to suffer softness. It seems sharper than just about any FF sensor out there (that I can find) with maybe the exception of the M9?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Actually, area for area, it outresolves the M9.

Take a 1.5x crop from the M9 (to equalise for sensor size) and blow it up to 24MP (to match print size) and compare them pixel to pixel. The NEX-7 significantly outresolves the M9.

Of course, it's a somewhat unfair comparison, given that we're comparing a brand-new sensor with one that's several years old. Given that the M10 is rumoured to use a Sony-made CMOS (just like the NEX-7 and D800e), I'd bet it will outshine even the NEX-7 on a per-pixel level, with more pixels too.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,346 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 03, 2012 15:59 |  #2065

Ricardo222 wrote in post #14015967 (external link)
TeamSpeed...even if those eyes weren't dead sharp, which they are, this pic would be a winner!
(BTW is it legal to put really nice pics in this thread?:cool::cool:)

Thank you, I have a ton of these that are sharp, and every time I see somebody put a blanket statement about how the 7D just is soft due to its AA filter, etc, then I should not be able to get anything remotely close to this, it would be impossible if the 7D design was as such.

Here is the post processed version (external link), a light high pass filter, a bit of saturation and a tiny bit lower leveling.

But I do all the time, macros, portraits, etc. However, I have run about 15 lenses past the 7D, and guess what? Lenses play a MUCH larger part in the APS-C 18mpx IQ than the AA filter. Again, those same lenses on a FF (like the 5D2 and 5Dc I have owned), the images are better. Somewhat due to the AA filter, but most likely because the pixel density is less.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

mk2lover
40 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 03, 2012 16:15 |  #2066

if i read the word fanboy one more time i will be forced to kill my dog

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 03, 2012 16:16 |  #2067

Fanboy.
I'm a cat person :lol:

mk2lover
40 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 03, 2012 16:19 |  #2068

poor fido, he never had a chance on this thread

theviper
615 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 03, 2012 16:24 |  #2069

jdizzle wrote in post #14015866 (external link)
Also, everyone here who has replied to his posts are just as guilty. ;)

Not really. Just got sick of reading the same things over and over when all i wanted to do was learn something about this camera. When it got to 130 pages and the same thing was still happening I decided to say something. That is a lot of posts I did not reply to ;)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/vinnyburns/ (external link)
http://www.viperarthou​se.co.uk/ (external link)

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 03, 2012 16:24 |  #2070

Has the dust settled yet?

sponsored links

493,867 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.