Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 21:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Jumping from jpeg to raw

ReDDoG
89 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 03, 2012 21:49 |  #1

Hello,Ive been shooting all jpeg for quite awhile.I get good results since im not a photo selling pro.Ive read some really good articles on the pros-cons of both raw an jpeg.I think its time to try raw.I use mainly LR3,but i have dpp that came with my 7D.What would be the best way to use either and in what order?Say load them into DPP as raw then covert to LR?Or use DPP first-keep them raw import into LR then play some more then convert to jpeg for final export?.

I tend to over think this type stuff,but i dont want to spend 3 days fixing 10 pictures.Hopefully you understand what im try to convey.Ill end up trying to over fix every picture.LR has good work flow settings.But i would like to try and get the results(first using the best possible in-camera settings) that alot of you guys/gals get when you use raw.I do understand it has to be finally coverted to jpeg.I just need to get the right order an in what order.

Thanks for any help.Sorry to ramble but im kinda scared ill overthink what im trying to do.Peace

Rebel XSI -7D- 18-55mm - 10-20 mm Sigma - 55-250 mm - 580 II flash - Cactus V5 -Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS - 50 mm 1.8 -70-200 2.8 IS II :rolleyes:

sponsored links
TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 03, 2012 22:46 |  #2

If you use and understand LR3 use that. I am just a hobbyist but use it and really like it. I put the second copy on my wife's laptop and she really likes it as well. I used DPP and it was fine but there is more you can do with LR3. We have been using RAW from the beginning and find that it allows some extra margin of error.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

GeoffSobering
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 03, 2012 23:00 |  #3

LR3 is a good way to quickly process raw files. I would suggest paying particular attention to the ways you can apply the same settings to multiple files. For example I have saved settings for different subjects (ex. Saturation, vibrance, WB, etc) that I'll apply to a group of similar shots. Then it's just a matter of tweeking the global adjustments to get each shot looking good. Like many things, it will be slow at first, but as you become familiar with the controls you should be able work through shots pretty quickly.

http://moving-target-photos.com/ (external link) - My Stuff

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 04, 2012 01:42 |  #4

Understand LR3 and use it. You not only manage your images in LR3 but it is an excellent raw converter.

The beauty of Lightroom is that you only have to keep one copy of the image. You can keep more but I find that unless I have serious editing to do at the pixel level LR3 does it (non-destructive). And you don't have to make a jpg copy. You can convert to jpg on export to whatever you plan to do with the image.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,601 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 04, 2012 02:51 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #5

DPP and LR3 are both designed to do the same thing - develop RAW files. They each have their own features but it probably isn't worth using both so pick the one you are most comfortable with and use that.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 04, 2012 05:05 |  #6

load them into DPP as raw then covert to LR?Or use DPP first-keep them raw import into LR then play some more then convert to jpeg for final export?

You cannot edit a RAW file in DPP and then open the same file in LR expecting to see all the edits from DPP and then continue on adding more edits. Or the opposite, LR first then DPP. RAW image data is never changed; when you think you are editing the RAW you are only drawing up a list of instructions about what will be done if you push the Convert & Save button in DPP or the Export button in LR. LR saves that list automatically in its database and DPP saves it by inserting it into a section of the CR2 file, but without touching the image data.
The only way you can carry edits from one RAW converter to another is by rendering an image file, a tif or a jpg (tif preferred). But if you create a tif using DPP and then do further edits to the tif in LR, you are not taking full advantage of what LR does so well, because instead of using linear virgin data you are modifying an image that has already been highly processed.
DPP is easier to learn and use. You can jump right in and immediately get an image that is very similar to what you are used to getting from the camera as a jpg. LR requires effort, learning, thought and if not creativity, at least craftsmanship. Which is better for you, only you can say.

BTW, it shouldn't cost too much to get that busted space bar fixed.

Elie / אלי

MedicinSC
Goldmember
1,382 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 04, 2012 08:24 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #7

LR3, all the way. That's just my opinion. I have limited experience with DPP, but overall found that LR3 had more choices for me. I am far, far, far, far away from being a pro at editing though.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 04, 2012 08:31 |  #8

tzalman wrote in post #14018942 (external link)
The only way you can carry edits from one RAW converter to another is by rendering an image file, a tif or a jpg (tif preferred).

The last time I used DPP (and that was a while ago), the changes were saved in a sidecar file (.xmp) that could be read by LR and visa versa (I explicitly tell LR to safe the changes in a sidecar file). But I don't know how well the two programs handle each otheres xmp instructions.

But, I don't think there is any need or reason to use DPP and LR to handle your raw files. Choose one - LR is actually very capable of easily achieve one of the camera presets - and any other preset you might prefer.

Safe yourself some time and effort and just stay with one of them -- and I would suggest LR.

Donate if you love POTN

hbomb69
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 04, 2012 08:56 |  #9

Lightroom 3 Here as well, nothing touches it for speed and batch processing.:)

Mike

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.uk (external link)
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

ReDDoG
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 04, 2012 09:51 |  #10

Thanks everyone i prefer LR as well.I always come across people here at POTN that say i did this or that using dpp.I think if i get off my butt and learn LR i could probably achieve the same thing.Thanks once again.Im shooting a Eagle Scout ceremony today.Im commiting myself to only raw,an force myself to get past my fears lol.Thanks

Rebel XSI -7D- 18-55mm - 10-20 mm Sigma - 55-250 mm - 580 II flash - Cactus V5 -Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS - 50 mm 1.8 -70-200 2.8 IS II :rolleyes:

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 04, 2012 10:20 |  #11

One of the first things I encountered in LR3 that could have a major impact is where you store the change info. I believe by default LR3 stores that info in its catalog. There is an option to change that to store the info in the xmp file. That's the option I've seen recommended.

I haven't investigated the ramifications of storing it in the catalog but I always used the xmp files in Bridge/Photoshop. Making the change after having imported and edited a good bunch of images probably caused my online backup service some consternation.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 04, 2012 17:18 |  #12

drmaxx wrote in post #14019570 (external link)
The last time I used DPP (and that was a while ago), the changes were saved in a sidecar file (.xmp) that could be read by LR and visa versa (I explicitly tell LR to safe the changes in a sidecar file). But I don't know how well the two programs handle each otheres xmp instructions.

Sorry, but you are mistaken. DPP can neither write or read xmp files. It does have the option of writing the edit data to a similar sort of format, *.vrd, but unlike xmp the vrd files can be anywhere and they must be manually loaded to DPP. DPP is the only application that can read them, not LR and not ACR.
And if you think about it I'm sure you will understand the impossibility of the two programs sharing editing. What would DPP make of an xmp instruction to apply Clarity, Vibrance or Recovery? What would LR make of Sharpness = 3 or a Tune setting on DPP's color ball? Even LR and ACR have problems sharing an xmp if they are not parallel versions (LR 3.4 to ACR 6.4, no problem; LR3.4 to ACR 5.7, not so good).

LR doesn't speak Canonese and DPP doesn't speak Adobish.

Elie / אלי

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 05, 2012 10:21 |  #13

tzalman wrote in post #14022485 (external link)
Sorry, but you are mistaken. DPP can neither write or read xmp files.

Sorry about that. As I said it was a while ago when I used DPP and I was convinced that the changes were carried over to LR. But it seems that my memory is failing me here. :oops:

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links

1,618 views & 0 likes for this thread
Jumping from jpeg to raw
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.