Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,596 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 03, 2012 21:52 |  #6496

Csae wrote in post #14017365 (external link)
FYI, you broad lit her.

Let it go, its a bad shot, adding vignette will not help it :(

Case . I had her turn her back to the main light and turned her head back to light the short side,,, fill was on broad side,, lights set to 4:1 ratio

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 03, 2012 22:01 |  #6497

bobbyz wrote in post #14017601 (external link)
I like the 2nd one better than first. Things to improve would be adding a hair light in both. Particularly with black hair and darker bg.

Spot on. I actually had a backlight in the jersey image, and I thought it was working as planned (based on looking at the image on the camera LCD during the shoot), but after I got them on the computer, the actual outcome is obviously a little lacking. The backlight needed to be higher. Or, probably better yet, a hairlight coming from above...

Just curious - why do you like the 2nd one better? Honestly, I'm not sure I'm wild about the 2nd one, but I like the first one (even with the deficiencies noted).

Thanks for the response. I appreciate you taking time to offer critique.

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,397 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 03, 2012 22:08 |  #6498

jsvphoto wrote in post #14017654 (external link)
Just curious - why do you like the 2nd one better? Honestly, I'm not sure I'm wild about the 2nd one, but I like the first one (even with the deficiencies noted).

Thanks for the response. I appreciate you taking time to offer critique.

I think first one everyone does that kind of shot. 2nd one I like as he is nicely dressed and back ground matches his dress colors. Wish smile wasn't that big but all in all I like that shot. Guy shots are much harder to do for me.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 03, 2012 22:15 |  #6499

umphotography wrote in post #14016812 (external link)
Man I really agree with the 70-200 F/4 comment:cool::cool:. Its a highly underrated portrait lens,,especially for $550.00 bucks......I'm rarely below F/4 in the studio. Its a really really great lens and its on my camera a lot.

Where is it $550? Or do you mean used? Its about $650 on amazon/bh. :)

Canon investor

jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 03, 2012 22:24 |  #6500

I like doing that dark shot, because everyone is always amazed how you can get rid of the ambient lights in the studio. Most don't understand the faster shutter speed explanation - they just think it's magic. Same thing with shooting a gel onto a black background and having it show up as color. I suppose I'll get tired of it eventually, but I'm amused by it for now :)

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 04, 2012 00:01 |  #6501

umphotography wrote in post #14017611 (external link)
Case . I had her turn her back to the main light and turned her head back to light the short side,,, fill was on broad side,, lights set to 4:1 ratio

Your ratios are off then, what you actually accomplished via your exposures is:
Broad lit her with a key, and rim lighted her.
This is what your exposures ended up based on what you set your lights to.

Short lighting is having -shadow- on the dominant part of the face, the only shadow you have is in between your key and rim on the short side of the face.

The reason this is broad light is because both of your lights are too strong, so your fill actually became your key, and your key actually became a rim.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 04, 2012 00:04 |  #6502

Csae wrote in post #14017365 (external link)
FYI, you broad lit her.

I believe it is short lit. What you are seeing is the better exposure on the fill, and the main overexposed, so it gives an appearance of broad lit. But he is right, the main light is on the short side of the face.

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 04, 2012 00:16 |  #6503

....You decide what light does what duty based on the power you set it to compared to your exposure.

If your "key" is "overexposed" then it is a Rim.
If your "fill" is "overexposed" then it is a Key.

Go look up some examples on Rembrandt and short lighting, this isn't it. This is broad light with a rim.

We aren't debating whether the photo is any good, you are trying to skew a photographic term with an improper definition, what you *want* your light to be is meaningless if you set your exposure wrong.

Now, if you had shot it at f13 instead of f7.1, then Yes, you would of had your lights do what you wanted them to, but because you shot at f7.1 and overexposed the entire shot, the lights ended up being key & rim instead of your desired goal.

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 04, 2012 00:26 |  #6504

^^^I see what you are saying.....He initially short lit it, but due to the overexposure, it became a broad lit image.

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 04, 2012 00:44 |  #6505

Exactly.

I would also like to mention that a 4:1 ratio for key/fill is pretty extreme.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,596 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 04, 2012 08:13 as a reply to  @ Csae's post |  #6506

Csae

Understand your explanations and will say you are right. I was getting ready to move lights but before i did i tried this shot. I was going for a pretty high contrast look with the lights. Metered the ratios out with my meter but it just didn't do what i thought in my head i wanted to see,,I think i should have brought the brighter light closer and used a strip instead of a grid, maybe a cleaner angle as well. could not get it up high enough to fill that shadow. she was on her knees,,,,but it was definitely a bit different. Just not what i wanted:o.

Thats what i like about working with studio lighting.....lots to learn and experiment with...... I feel pretty lucky every time i can get a different look in my studio. I'm limited with space especially the 8' ceiling height but i can get a lot done,just not everything I have going on inside my little ol head

Thanks for your explanation,,,makes sense even though that's not what i intended to do

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

jb_browneyes
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 04, 2012 16:36 |  #6507

Mike how do you explian to your client that you're trying out some new stuff and it may or may n ot work? Sometimes I shy away from trying new thing because I don't want to look silly if they don't come out (Not you YOU in any look silly)

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and website (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,596 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 04, 2012 17:24 |  #6508

jb_browneyes wrote in post #14022246 (external link)
Mike how do you explian to your client that you're trying out some new stuff and it may or may n ot work? Sometimes I shy away from trying new thing because I don't want to look silly if they don't come out (Not you YOU in any look silly)

I usually do it with our spokes models and Haley is one of our 2012 spokes models. I will say something like,,hey lets try this:lol:

Seriously, they just sit there and smile and we all have a good time. As we go through the sessions im trying to get reactions and get them to feel at ease. So we crank up the music real loud, I show them shots in the camera, ask them their opinions on some poses and we move lights and just have some fun...seems to work pretty good. I find that by doing this they get more relaxed, they see that they look good in the camera, and when i want to try stuff they are all for it.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

jb_browneyes
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 04, 2012 17:41 |  #6509

umphotography wrote in post #14022538 (external link)
I usually do it with our spokes models and Haley is one of our 2012 spokes models. I will say something like,,hey lets try this:lol:

Seriously, they just sit there and smile and we all have a good time. As we go through the sessions im trying to get reactions and get them to feel at ease. So we crank up the music real loud, I show them shots in the camera, ask them their opinions on some poses and we move lights and just have some fun...seems to work pretty good. I find that by doing this they get more relaxed, they see that they look good in the camera, and when i want to try stuff they are all for it.

thanks

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and website (external link)

sevillafox
I'm good with pathetic! Really, I am.
25,223 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 04, 2012 21:19 |  #6510

Shelly

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Tiffany
hopeless smooshoholic......I smoosh!

sponsored links

2,679,990 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.