Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 22:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 03, 2012 23:35 |  #2191

KenjiS wrote in post #14016827 (external link)
With the 5D Mark III i dont need to worry about keeping the 7D to cover my basis, All my lenses will mount on it, and work just fine (Perhaps better)

Surely the 15-85 won't fit on the 5D3?

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 03, 2012 23:41 |  #2192

CameraMan wrote in post #14018087 (external link)
maybe this new auto focus point system is far better than it is with the 5D MII. I find myself using the single center focus point more times than not. It's been the most reliable point for me.

Of course it's the most reliable. The lack of reliability with the outer points has been everybody's complaint with the 5 series.

I just couldn't imagine a bunch of focus points flashing at me in the viewfinder when I'm trying to take a picture.

This is simply not an issue. Not on the older style viewfinders and certainly not with these new transmissive LCD units. The newer cameras are configurable enough that you can probably select some set of viewfinder options that would make it annoying, but that would only be because you chose that option and you could always change it.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 03, 2012 23:42 |  #2193

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14018073 (external link)
If it's the same overlay and space is not an issue it does smell of a cost decision. Though focussing screens were a boon to the prior 5D's to a greater degree than other bodies for their antiquated AF. AF seems to be addressed. We might just be moving the goalposts of what makes something "non-pro", similar to the 60D argument that exaggerated the importance of MA to make a point. I would be surprised if focussing screens are swapped all that often on non-5D/II cameras - far less so than those who MA their lenses.

It's an interesting omission nonetheless.

There are those of us who have MF lenses and would need a precision screen regardless. Naturally we're a minority, but I can always keep my 5D2 just for using with MF lenses. ;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 03, 2012 23:48 |  #2194

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #14018086 (external link)
I use the EG screen with my 85L all the time. I don't like the idea of not being able to...

It is interesting and I'm guessing it was a cost decision.

On a camera that's $500 more than the competition... ;)

I'm also guessing that the D800 doesn't have the option so, again, a wash. :p

I shudder to think how Canon would adjust the MSRP to accommodate changeable focussing screens. By recent pricing announcements that sounds like a $250 feature, at least! :)

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 03, 2012 23:52 |  #2195

I'm mostly happy because I want people to dump their mark IIs and flood the market with supply. I wold love this new beast, but I can afford it.

Insure do hope he we and used mark tooooos will drop a lot in price.

Thank you. bw!

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2012 23:56 |  #2196

Honestly, I can't wait for the first "5D3 owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos!" Thread. Maybe all of the rumor threads will die down a bit. :lol:

JK. I know everyone is juiced about this new body. It's kind of neat that they announced the new Flash today too. Looks like Canon is catching up to Nikon a bit.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

cfnz
105 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 04, 2012 00:13 |  #2197

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #14018006 (external link)
I don't think so. Canon has a dumbed-down version of their pro AF system.

Is this actually confirmed? The press release states "... Canon has included its new 61-point High Density Reticular AF System, originally introduced with the top-of-the-line EOS-1D X professional camera." I only recall mention of a simplified version of the 61 pt system on the 5D III being a pre-release rumour.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 04, 2012 00:15 |  #2198

cfnz wrote in post #14018251 (external link)
Is this actually confirmed? The press release states "... Canon has included its new 61-point High Density Reticular AF System, originally introduced with the top-of-the-line EOS-1D X professional camera." I only recall mention of a simplified version of the 61 pt system on the 5D III being a pre-release rumour.

it's definitely confirmed. The 1Dx has a separate processor and sensor for the AF, while the 5D3 uses the same processor that runs the rest of the camera and uses the metering sensor for AF.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Strayz
691 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 04, 2012 00:16 |  #2199

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #14018170 (external link)
I'm mostly happy because I want people to dump their mark IIs and flood the market with supply. I wold love this new beast, but I can afford it.

Insure do hope he we and used mark tooooos will drop a lot in price.

Shhhhhhhh don't let everyone in on the great way to pick up a great used body..

Back to learning after a 5ish year break from photography

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 04, 2012 00:25 |  #2200

Scatterbrained wrote in post #14018259 (external link)
it's definitely confirmed. The 1Dx has a separate processor and sensor for the AF, while the 5D3 uses the same processor that runs the rest of the camera and uses the metering sensor for AF.

Ah, that sucks. Even the 7D has a dedicated processor for AF.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 04, 2012 00:29 |  #2201

You are correct about using the same processor, but that doesn't make it simpler, that makes the entire system slower.

As for using the metering sensor for AF, can you provide a reference for this? It seems more than a little unlikely.

Editted: Perhaps you read the part about data from both of these sensors being used by the evaluative metering algorithms?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 04, 2012 00:47 |  #2202

I doubt the metering sensor is used for AF - a metering sensor has a completely different design from a phase-detection AF sensor.

Not having a dedicated AF processor is disappointing - it'll just slow the whole system and reduce tracking speed and accuracy. Even the 7D has a dedicated processor.

If they included a firmware option to reduce the frame rate and dedicate more of the processor capacioty to AF, that would improve things. After all, it's better to shoot 3fps, with every shot in sharp focus, than 6fps with limited AF.

dho81
282 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 04, 2012 00:59 |  #2203

For those seeking technical information explained on the 5Diii:
EOS 5D Mark III Technologies Explained (external link)

and EOS 5D III Specifications Sheet (external link)

"The EOS 5D Mark III features the same advanced 61-point wide-area AF system as
Canon’s EOS-1D X. Used in combination with an AF Correction Light Source Detection
Sensor, a powerful AF microcomputer and AF algorithm ensures the accuracy and
reliability of the autofocus system – even when tracking moving subjects."

My Portfolio (external link)
My Blog (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

Old ­ Baldy
718 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 04, 2012 01:04 |  #2204

Shadowblade wrote in post #14018362 (external link)
Not having a dedicated AF processor is disappointing - it'll just slow the whole system and reduce tracking speed and accuracy. Even the 7D has a dedicated processor.

Perhaps Canon felt the 17 times faster processor in the 5D3 is more than sufficient to handle the duties that a separate processor does in the 7D?

OB
Gear list
Flickr Gallery (external link)

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 04, 2012 01:09 |  #2205

I don't quite understand any of these comments in this thread, all of the 5dmk3/d800 lovers and haters.

Almost NONE of you have touch, played or test these cameras. Heck, both of the cameras are not even out yet.

And yet, everyone have already make assumptions/judgements based on their own opinions or what is on paper.

Let's just wait until real world tests have been made before making any judgements.

One thing is for sure, the $500 difference, which is the main reason for all these 5D3 haters points out.
I'm also really bummed about the price.

But who knows, maybe after a real world test, the $500 more is the better deal.

PS: why did both canon and nikon now charges close to $500 for a battery grip? (Nikon's msrp is $616, bh list it as $450) unbelievable!!!

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

sponsored links

443,667 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.