Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 01 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 22:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Speedlight 600EX RT

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 02, 2012 09:02 |  #16

Not cheap, but I like where Canon is going with this.

Took them long enough.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 02, 2012 10:03 |  #17

A set of 4 of these with a trigger is going to be in the £3000.00 range...

That just seems ridiculous to me.

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

i2iSTUDIOS
Goldmember
1,010 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 02, 2012 10:10 |  #18

itzcryptic wrote in post #14005938 (external link)
It doesn't have a radio transmitter though right? Still line of site.

And this is fully compatible with the old wireless system.

I think you are correct.

i2iSTUDIOS.com (external link)
My Blog (external link)

D800
D3

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 02, 2012 10:14 as a reply to  @ mtimber's post |  #19

Bloody expensive, but after reading a little bit more about it (Canon's stuff and Syl Arena's take on it (external link)), I'm still rather intrigued.

But ****, you got to know that anything coming out of the big companies like CaNikon are going to be more expensive. That's been the trend with pretty much 99% of the product releases that have come over this last year and more.

You'd think we'd stop being surprised at this by now. But ****, $1G for a lite and trigger. ****.

BUT IT'S SO SHINY AND HAS COOL BUTT'NS N STUFF

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 02, 2012 10:53 |  #20

Actually, I just read what these things can do...

It is a bit more than adding a wireless trigger...

I can understand why Canon are pricing these where they have.

I still think it is too high, but once you read the specs (see the link to Syl's thread above), it begins to dawn how powerful this system could be...

"Light travels faster than sound. Which is why people some people appear bright, until you hear them speak..."

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,987 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 02, 2012 14:25 as a reply to  @ mtimber's post |  #21

Everybody is complaing about the price, but honestly, let's see how many begin foaming at the mouth to get them once a date is announced for public release...

You want the price to drop, then let them have dismal sales for a bit, that should get their attention...but alas, there are to many gear whores (POTN has more than it's share..;)) to make that happen...:D

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 03, 2012 17:03 |  #22

williejr wrote in post #14004771 (external link)
Where would they put it? Look how big that transmitter is already. Maybe in the 1DX, but certainly no room in the 5d3.

I'm sure much of the size is for the batteries and the hot shoe mount. If they can essentially inorporate an st-e2 into the 7D then they should be able to squeeze something similar to the st-e3 into the 5D3.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

mtavel
149 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2012 17:31 as a reply to  @ shaftmaster's post |  #23

That does seem like crazy money for a radio system. Sure, it's Canon native, but it's not built into the body (yet) and I don't think the hassle of attaching a radio receiver to the foot of an older strobe will justify the cost of the built in receiver. I got a Pixel King transmitter and a bunch of receivers not long ago, and I still think that route is the best way to go.

Tavel Photography (external link)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 04, 2012 04:29 |  #24

mtavel wrote in post #14016468 (external link)
That does seem like crazy money for a radio system. Sure, it's Canon native, but it's not built into the body (yet) and I don't think the hassle of attaching a radio receiver to the foot of an older strobe will justify the cost of the built in receiver. I got a Pixel King transmitter and a bunch of receivers not long ago, and I still think that route is the best way to go.

I agree.

Whilst the functionality of the Canons is like nothing else on the market, pixel kings do a very similar function.

A set of four of them is about £280.00.

As set of four YN565EX's is £480.00.

So I can have a full system of flashes (minus HSS) for about £760.00.

Are the extra's on the canon work another £2,240.00?

That is the question...

"The general rule for flash photography is that you want the flash to go off while the shutter is open" (Titus213)

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 04, 2012 06:20 |  #25

Mark1 wrote in post #14003870 (external link)
Will it master the current flashes? It does not even mention it. I would get one next and the new STE If it will master a 580 or 430. Otherwise I don't see one in my future if I can't use it with what I already have.

There is a video in this link. It can master or bey a slave for the 580

http://www.imaging-resource.com …mkiii/canon-5d-mkiiiA.HTM (external link)

DRH

Mossman6
952 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 04, 2012 07:21 |  #26

I like this new product. It's not about the money but rather, it's the consolidation of hardware. There's less chance of something breaking and itit will be easier to diagnose connectivity problems. Besides a 580ii + radio popper is in the same price range for this new guy.

My name is Josh. I love FB likes.
Facebook (external link)

DNS
33 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 04, 2012 09:40 |  #27

Canon's trying to rip photographers off while wedding photography's going down the hill

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 04, 2012 09:47 |  #28

DNS wrote in post #14019860 (external link)
Canon's trying to rip photographers off while wedding photography's going down the hill

You do have a choice... DON"T BUY IT... :roll eyes:

Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 04, 2012 09:47 |  #29

More info... http://pixsylated.com …0ex-rt-first-impressions/ (external link)

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 04, 2012 10:12 |  #30

mtimber wrote in post #14005786 (external link)
I can buy a set of pixel kings and 4 yongnuo 565EX's for the price of one of these flashes...

Yeah, but then you'd only have a set of pixel kings and four yougnou 565s... ;)

Just kidding. You point is well taken. Canon's new radio flash is pricey. The deal killer for me, if understand correctly, is that only the 1DX and 5D3 can access the new Speedlite from th camera menu, X Sync speed restrictions and high speed sync restrictions with the older EOS cameras... Maybe someone can shed some light on the two latter items. Seems like I read that somewhere here.

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

sponsored links

9,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
Speedlight 600EX RT
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.