Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 21:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D Users, Unite! (3)

this thread is locked
questionmarc
835 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 04, 2012 13:13 |  #4771

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7066/6803772182_205a7f19fc_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/69268367@N03/6​803772182/  (external link)
loraine (external link) by Marc.Matters (external link), on Flickr

60D, 5DmkIII, 50 f1.8
Facebook Page (external link)
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 04, 2012 13:20 |  #4772

Very nice!

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Bealzabubba
77 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 04, 2012 14:05 |  #4773

vinmunoz wrote in post #14020704 (external link)
it says use only in faster lenses 2.8 or larger. does it bother you using Ef-S with general shooting with different apertures?

does it help in getting better focusing? your thoughts please.

The slowest lens I have is a 2.8, so that speed issue is not a problem for me - and it's my understanding that irrespective of what aperture you're going to shoot at, the camera focuses wide open.

The Ef-S *seems* much crisper in the viewfinder - at least that was my immediate reaction when I swapped them. But the longer the time passes, it's difficult to compare directly as to whether I get better focus - I think I do, and I think it shows the DOF quite a bit better than the standard focusing screen.

But these are both incremental changes - I certainly didn't go "WOW" when I swapped.

I snagged it for $20 - and at that price it was a no brainer. For list price? That's purely a value judgement on your behalf.

7D Gripped : 6D Gripped : Gadgets Galore

Jaynez
771 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 04, 2012 14:28 |  #4774

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Painting Artist (external link)

5D Mark II | 6D
24-70mm F2.8L | 17-40mm F4L | Canon 85mm F1.8 USM | Elinchrom D-Lite 4 IT

Flick (external link) | Facebook (external link)

VillanuevaPhotography
640 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 04, 2012 15:07 |  #4775

Grey shots everyone diggin the event shots as well!
And thanks a lot Rivest! I checked out the cine thread and definitely looking more into that ! :)
Keyan, I did some post in Photoshop and played around with curves and screening some blue on there. I could post the original if your interested in seeing the difference !

| Gear List | Online Portfolio (external link) | Instagram (external link)|

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 04, 2012 15:21 as a reply to  @ VillanuevaPhotography's post |  #4776

Little church in the bush. Long Island, Bahamas

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i575.photobucke​t.com …and/Little_Chur​ch_800.jpg (external link)

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

JLPhotography82
410 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 04, 2012 15:34 |  #4777

Rivest wrote in post #14020338 (external link)
I mean, how can you not like shooting in nightclubs?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

had a friend hosting and he let me test my camera out in the dj booth. it was a lil tricky for me but i will try it again

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is to short to grow up, have fun, laugh, enjoy the moment, cause a little trouble. Once you're gone you will never have the chance. -macroshooter1970

Hinson
Goldmember
2,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 04, 2012 15:57 |  #4778

Rivest wrote in post #14007427 (external link)
It sure is possible, but once you've figured things out, you'll know it's not powerful enough. Hitting F8 at ISO 100 might be impossible. That or your model will sweat and bake in front of you because of the heat.

You sure could use ISO 400~800, but what's the point in a studio? You want crystal clear pictures, not noise. Also, blowing a background out to pure white will be a pain and not very effective. With only two speedlight you'll be able to do 3/4 body shots easily.

Last thing to think of is resale value. Flashes/strobe hold their value and sell quickly. Not so for a set of continous light.

David; you need to realize that photographers were making great portraits with hot lights long before strobes were invented. "Electronic flash, while used by studios as early as the 40's didn't really become popular until the mid 60s. Anyone with knowledge and experience can still use hot lights to do great studio work. Yes, they do have drawbacks but my point to the OP was that they were great for someone just starting out learning to use artificial light.

Since you like photographing the ladies (and do fairly well) I might refer you to my all time glamour idol, Peter Gowland. Here is a link to his site that shows his studio. http://www.petergowlan​d.com/Studio1.html (external link)

If you scroll down to row 5 you will find the following paragraph.

"Peter uses the same portrait lighting technique today which he learned from Hollywood studio photographers, although they use more power. Peter shows here a 500watt key, 150watt "dinki-inky" fill next to the $25 4x5 view camera. Hair light and background lights are about 100watts. He used a 10" Rapid Symmetrical with an air hose and bulb for exposure time (1/5th second.) He bought this lens for $25."

No strobes here and he was one of the highest ranking photogs of the day.

Artist tools: Lumix FZ1000 (Canon 60D, 28/2.8, 10-22mm, Tamron 28-300mm VC ALL NOW FOR SALE - REASONABLE OFFER)
Blog: www.jerrywhitephotogra​phy.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 04, 2012 16:44 |  #4779

JLPhotography82 wrote in post #14021891 (external link)
had a friend hosting and he let me test my camera out in the dj booth. it was a lil tricky for me but i will try it again

Next time, you need more ambient light! Clubs are fill with super nice colorful lights, got to show that in the pictures. For reference, I shoot at 1/6, ISO 1600 in clubs. My flash is at 1/16, only used to light the subjects.

Hinson wrote in post #14022017 (external link)
David; you need to realize that photographers were making great portraits with hot lights long before strobes were invented. "Electronic flash, while used by studios as early as the 40's didn't really become popular until the mid 60s. Anyone with knowledge and experience can still use hot lights to do great studio work. Yes, they do have drawbacks but my point to the OP was that they were great for someone just starting out learning to use artificial light.

I never said that it's not possible using hot lights or that it has never been done. We could compare that to someone starting in photography. Yes a full 35mm film body will be cheaper and yield very great results, lots of all time masters became famous using them. But technology has moved on and now everyone will recommend a DSLR. Yes film still has it's place for some people, I think medium format is still pretty popular. Same goes for hot lights.

This said, a flash is much more useful in my opinion. Just for that I'd recommend a flags over hot lights.

Hi, I'm David.

JLPhotography82
410 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 04, 2012 17:01 |  #4780

Rivest wrote in post #14022295 (external link)
Next time, you need more ambient light! Clubs are fill with super nice colorful lights, got to show that in the pictures. For reference, I shoot at 1/6, ISO 1600 in clubs. My flash is at 1/16, only used to light the subjects.

I had no clue what i was doing but i had fun learning. Here are two more i did

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is to short to grow up, have fun, laugh, enjoy the moment, cause a little trouble. Once you're gone you will never have the chance. -macroshooter1970

HighDef
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 04, 2012 17:09 |  #4781

I like this.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 04, 2012 17:31 |  #4782

What do you do when you want to shoot something big but your lens isn't wide enough and you can't go backward anymore?

You shoot multiple shoot and you stitch them in post after!

15 pictures shot at 24mm.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Hi, I'm David.

Almondsaz
208 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 04, 2012 17:56 |  #4783

I had posted a separate topic, and it was suggested I join the 60D group. I just got my camera on Friday and I have to say - I really like it. Fits right in with my skills and abilities. I had owned a 7D and just never felt comfortable to me (not ergonomics, but the "system") It is a great camera but more than I could use - so, I sold it and got the 60D and couldn't be happier so far. I really like the tilt screen and I am fine with only have the 9 points of focus. I think this camera will be a keeper and perhaps my skills will grow with this one as opposed to growing into the 7D. I really like the Canon menu system, intuitive to me.

Canon 70D & a few Canon lenses

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 04, 2012 20:00 |  #4784

Almondsaz wrote in post #14022728 (external link)
I had posted a separate topic, and it was suggested I join the 60D group. I just got my camera on Friday and I have to say - I really like it. Fits right in with my skills and abilities. I had owned a 7D and just never felt comfortable to me (not ergonomics, but the "system") It is a great camera but more than I could use - so, I sold it and got the 60D and couldn't be happier so far. I really like the tilt screen and I am fine with only have the 9 points of focus. I think this camera will be a keeper and perhaps my skills will grow with this one as opposed to growing into the 7D. I really like the Canon menu system, intuitive to me.

Welcome in here, hope you'll like it! Now time to post some shots from it!

But hey 60D users, this thread is getting boring, let's bring more action to it!

That's what happen when you don't knock :eek:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Hi, I'm David.

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,225 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 04, 2012 20:12 as a reply to  @ Rivest's post |  #4785

out on a cold day with my friend, my friend's daughter, my friend's daughter's friend, and their furry friends. And snow. And did I mention it was cold?

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

sponsored links

1,278,050 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60D Users, Unite! (3)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.