Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 13:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem with 5DMarkII and monitor

Etherealdc
66 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 03, 2012 13:37 |  #1

Hi! I bought a ProAm 7" LCD monitor a little while ago and I'm just getting around to testing it. It comes with AV to RCA cable and an RCA coupler back to AV cable. So, I plugged one AV into the "A/V In" on the monitor, and the other AV into the "A/V Out" on the 5D, and coupled them together. The 5D live-view screen goes black (as expected), but the monitor's not receiving any video. I've played with the AV/TV controls and nothing...

For a while, I fumingly guessed that I just had gotten a bum monitor, but then I hooked it up to my DVD player (using first the AV to RCA coupler, and then the AV to RCA cable) and it received the signal just fine.

So obviously, the weak link has something to do with my 5D... does anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate any and all suggestions!

Ethereal Pictures
5DMkII
Canon Nifty Fifty 1.4 | Canon 24-70mm 2.8 | Canon 70-200mm 2.8 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro

sponsored links
Etherealdc
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 03, 2012 13:54 |  #2

I also just plugged my 5D into my flatscreen TV, and again, nothing.

Ethereal Pictures
5DMkII
Canon Nifty Fifty 1.4 | Canon 24-70mm 2.8 | Canon 70-200mm 2.8 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,101 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 03, 2012 13:57 |  #3

Should have posted in the Video section.

Etherealdc
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 03, 2012 15:20 |  #4

Why, mrgooch? If the issue is with the camera itself... and some photographers use monitors so that their clients can review the images during the session without stopping to look at the 3" LCD screen on-camera.

In any case, I figured out the issue... I believe the RCA>AV connector that came with the ProAm monitor was somehow faulty, because the one that came with the 5D worked.

Ethereal Pictures
5DMkII

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 03, 2012 15:27 |  #5

Etherealdc wrote in post #14015725 (external link)
In any case, I figured out the issue... I believe the RCA>AV connector that came with the ProAm monitor was somehow faulty, because the one that came with the 5D worked.

Always use the cable that comes with the camera, unfortunately not everyone wires their gear the same way.

Joel

Moppie
14,839 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 03, 2012 15:29 |  #6

The AV output does not have enough bandwidth to watch live view or video shooting.
It will only do out of still images during image play back.

To use the monitor for video work, or live view you need to use the cameras HDMI out.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Etherealdc
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 03, 2012 15:50 as a reply to  @ Moppie's post |  #7

Sorry, I have been able to use the AV output to monitor both liveview and video shooting. It might not be HD, but it's enough for me to be able to see what I'm doing for when I'm doing something where seeing the screen is awkward, like using a jib or a floor dolly.

Ethereal Pictures
5DMkII

Moppie
14,839 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 03, 2012 17:07 |  #8

Etherealdc wrote in post #14015939 (external link)
Sorry, I have been able to use the AV output to monitor both liveview and video shooting. It might not be HD, but it's enough for me to be able to see what I'm doing for when I'm doing something where seeing the screen is awkward, like using a jib or a floor dolly.

Really?
Cool, that makes finding a monitor a bit cheaper :cool:

Is it possible the RCA link between the AV out on the camera and AV in on the new monitor?

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Etherealdc
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 03, 2012 20:08 as a reply to  @ Moppie's post |  #9

I tested every link individually by plugging each cable into my DVD player; the only link that never worked was the AC end that was plugged into the 5D... and then, I compared the AC connector that came with the 5D to the AC connector that came with the monitor, and there is, like, a 1/16th inch difference in the length of the connector (i.e., the length from the last ring to the base). So... I'm not an electrician or an engineer, but that's the only difference I could see that could be responsible for it not working... :confused:

Ethereal Pictures
5DMkII

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 04, 2012 00:06 |  #10

It's probably a case of the RCAs being wired differently, if you're bored you can try the audio RCAs (white or red) into the video input of the monitor and see whether any video shows up.

Joel

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 04, 2012 14:06 |  #11

Moppie wrote in post #14015789 (external link)
The AV output does not have enough bandwidth to watch live view or video shooting.
It will only do out of still images during image play back.

No this is incorrect.
I've used this product
http://www.aputure.com …ss_digital_view​finder.php (external link)
The Gigtube (both wireless and wired) out of the video out port. It sees everything the LCD sees in real time including Live View.

Also out of the HDMI port I've use external monitors such as
http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1330891​445&sr=8-1 (external link)
Similar result, whatever the LCD sees, but at a little bit better resolution than the Gigtube.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

sponsored links

4,172 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem with 5DMarkII and monitor
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.