Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Mar 2012 (Monday) 16:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Auto ISO on 5D3

hyolee
33 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2012 16:43 |  #1

Does anyone know how auto ISO will work on the 5D3? I know it now allows you to set minimum shutter speed and maximum ISO, but how about:

1. Does it let you set exposure compensation in manual mode when Auto ISO is enabled? I hope it can be done by using the AE lock button.
2. What is the behavior of auto ISO when flash is attached in aperture priority. I hope it meters for the ambient.
3. What is the behavior of auto ISO when flash is attached in manual mode? I hope it chooses the lowest ISO for proper flash exposure.

Auto ISO is sooo broken on 5D2, let's hope that it is completely fixed in 5D3.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 05, 2012 16:47 |  #2

It been announced 4 days. Nobody really has had a chance to fully handle it yet. Patience grasshopper. Exposure compensation in manual mode?!

hyolee
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2012 16:50 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #3

gonzogolf,

What I meant was exposure compensation in manual mode, with auto ISO enabled.

i.e. you pick the shutter and aperture, and can dial in an offset to the automatically chosen ISO value to increase or decrease the exposure.

Edited my original post for clarity. Thanks!

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 05, 2012 16:52 |  #4

if your in manual mode why do auto ISO just switch to aperture or shutter priority. i dont know of any situation where you would pick your shutter and aperture and need ISO to be in auto because you dont know what setting or just need it in auto because of varying conditions

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 05, 2012 16:53 |  #5

I understand what you mean, but if you have EC, its not really manual exposure. You are still automating 1/3rd of the exposure triangle.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 05, 2012 17:02 |  #6

hyolee,

Out of the thousands of POTN members, perhaps only a couple of members (if any) were testers for Canon in the development of the 5D MIII. You may very well need to wait until the camera comes to the market before any of your questions can be answered.

Bryan

My Gear List

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 05, 2012 17:28 |  #7

I thought I read somewhere there is NO exposure comp in manual mode, sadly...

I have been hoping for that forever... Sometimes I want to set both aperture and shutter speed, leaving ISO to do whatever it needs in drastic lighting changes to get proper exposure. But sometimes the meter underexposes so you want EC to bump up a bit (or down). Balancing what your trying to achieve.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 05, 2012 17:31 |  #8

Invertalon wrote in post #14030457 (external link)

I have been hoping for that forever... Sometimes I want to set both aperture and shutter speed, leaving ISO to do whatever it needs in drastic lighting changes to get proper exposure. But sometimes the meter underexposes so you want EC to bump up a bit (or down). Balancing what your trying to achieve.

But this seems to defeat the purpose of manual mode :confused:

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 05, 2012 17:34 as a reply to  @ Invertalon's post |  #9

This is all I was able to find on the Auto ISO, got it from dpreview

Auto ISO Improvements

The 5D Mark III's Auto ISO mode now offers additional customization options. You can now set a minimum ISO as well as a maximum, and define a specific minimum shutter speed too. It's not quite the same flexibility as offered by the Nikon D800 with its multiple program lines, but it's a big improvement over previous Canon implementations.

And, unlike the 5D Mark II, Auto ISO can be used in Manual shooting mode, allowing you to specify the shutter speed and aperture you want, and leaving the camera to worry about ISO. You can apply AE lock when working with Auto ISO in Manual mode and the viewfinder will show you the difference between the locked value and the current metered value. It's not currently clear whether there's any way of setting exposure compensation.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 05, 2012 17:59 |  #10

Tony_Stark wrote in post #14030474 (external link)
But this seems to defeat the purpose of manual mode :confused:

You are missing the point of what the benefit would be. What if you are tracking a subject in erratic light and require 1/640 or higher, and you want a set aperture to get proper DOF... Without caring about ISO.

Sure, the camera can do that now. But metering generally tends to need some EC. But you can not do this currently. It will balance at "0" regardless, you can't fix this.

Adjusting in manual mode fully would take way too long if you need it right away. Having EC in manual with auto ISO would allow you set your aperture, shutter and adjustment in metering. Alloying the camera to use whatever ISO it needs to fulfill what you inputted.

Not a BIG deal, but seems like something that would be easy enough to implement without any cost or R&D...

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

hyolee
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2012 18:01 as a reply to  @ wookiee2cu's post |  #11

One additional feature that would be nice is a custom function that allows "safety shift" with auto-iso in manual.

i.e. if the ISO cannot be lowered enough to accomodate your selected aperture and shutter, ISO is set to 100 and the shutter is increased as needed. An example would be shooting in a dark church at f2.0 1/125, and then moving into the bright outdoors where those combination of settings would cause the ISO to blink at 100.

I'm not holding my breath for this though. :)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2012 18:03 |  #12

gonzogolf wrote in post #14030156 (external link)
It been announced 4 days. Nobody really has had a chance to fully handle it yet. Patience grasshopper. Exposure compensation in manual mode?!

"ISO compensation"; how's that, better?

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 05, 2012 18:08 |  #13

Invertalon wrote in post #14030457 (external link)

That is what I understand too.

Making auto ISO in manual mode only a shadow of what it could be.

If only you are shooting 18% mid grey subjects it is fine...

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2012 18:10 |  #14

Brian_R wrote in post #14030182 (external link)
if your in manual mode why do auto ISO just switch to aperture or shutter priority. i dont know of any situation where you would pick your shutter and aperture and need ISO to be in auto because you dont know what setting or just need it in auto because of varying conditions

Really? I can't image why anyone would want f-stop to float; I don't even need Av in the camera; I wish it was still on the lens (but reported). Shutter speed I only want to float in the high direction when I'm at ISO 100 and there's too much light for my desired shutter speed. ISO is the *last* thing I want to control directly in real-time shooting. Even with Canon's half-baked auto-ISO in my 7D, I use it most of the time, and feel my older cameras without auto-ISO in manual mode (like my 5D2) are crippled cameras in changing lighting.

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2012 18:21 |  #15

gonzogolf wrote in post #14030191 (external link)
I understand what you mean, but if you have EC, its not really manual exposure. You are still automating 1/3rd of the exposure triangle.

If you are choosing shutter speed, and you are choosing f-stop, then the exposure is manual, period. I'm talking about the *REAL* exposure on the sensor, not how bright a JPEG looks, which is superfluous when shooting RAW.

sponsored links

6,936 views & 0 likes for this thread
Auto ISO on 5D3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.