Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Feb 2012 (Tuesday) 18:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OK... So I think the 70-200 II IS design is faulty.

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 05, 2012 16:50 |  #46

i shoot sports with one and whenever i mess around with IS i never have any problems. its quiet and works great.

sponsored links
kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2012 17:23 |  #47

Invertalon wrote in post #14030161 (external link)
Not bad, but at 100% there is a lot of noise for just ISO 200... I have a shot at ISO 1600 with my 5D2 with less noise. Did you do really high amounts of sharpening?

Funny, I don't see much noise, but I'm still learning. I did do sharpening, but not much higher than I usually do. Great tip and comment though, because I love to learn, the only way to get better. :)

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

JimiJam
103 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 05, 2012 17:50 |  #48

kenjancef wrote in post #14030402 (external link)
Funny, I don't see much noise, but I'm still learning. I did do sharpening, but not much higher than I usually do. Great tip and comment though, because I love to learn, the only way to get better. :)

You could probably hold back on the sharpening a little bit. An additional technique is to use Lightroom's sharpening mask: http://www.image-space.com …sual_Sharpening​_Mask.html (external link)

Pretty much hold the alt-key and change the sharpen-mask slider so that only the important outlines are shown in white. These white parts are what will get sharpened.

This has the effect of (say) sharpening your camel's outline, without unnecessarily sharpening the background.

[Canon 6D, EOS M, 550 EX] [24-105mm f/4 L IS, 70-200mm f/4 L IS, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, 50mm f/1.4, EF-M 22mm/2]

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2012 17:57 |  #49

JimiJam wrote in post #14030626 (external link)
You could probably hold back on the sharpening a little bit. An additional technique is to use Lightroom's sharpening mask: http://www.image-space.com …sual_Sharpening​_Mask.html (external link)

Pretty much hold the alt-key and change the sharpen-mask slider so that only the important outlines are shown in white. These white parts are what will get sharpened.

This has the effect of (say) sharpening your camel's outline, without unnecessarily sharpening the background.

Oh crap... I didn't know that... See, I told you I'd learn something (and I'm not being sarcastic). I will give that a try, and follow the link you provided.

Thanks!!

Gear List

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 05, 2012 18:16 |  #50

Just bought a brand new one and mine is making the same IS sound at start up and stop of the IS. It definitely does not sound normal. During IS, it is the normal humming sound though. Also, from the brief testing the IS seems less effective than the V1 I had for a few years which is a 3 stop IS. I am most likely going to exchange this one.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

Invertalon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 05, 2012 20:13 |  #51

I never understood masking until just now, thanks so much for that tip! I learned something new as well :D

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2012 20:16 |  #52

Invertalon wrote in post #14031677 (external link)
I never understood masking until just now, thanks so much for that tip! I learned something new as well :D

And if your lens would behave you'd be all set!! :)

Gear List

Invertalon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 05, 2012 22:13 |  #53

It is behaved now that it was repaired! Better then ever, actually! :p

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

flurofocus
139 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 12, 2012 11:04 |  #54

my 70-200ii does make that loud noise when new but after extensive use the sound is gone...hopefully it will stay that way...

Also to make best use of the IS one need to wait for it to stabilize before clicking the shutter, verify this through the viewfinder... I can handhold this lens with 1/20 ss and still get relatively sharp pic...

Neal1029
101 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 12, 2012 12:26 |  #55

It's the user not the equipment

5DMK III,16-35L 2.8, 24-70L 2.8, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 580 EX II x 2

soundsk
203 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 12, 2012 12:41 |  #56

Read through the thread just now. I got a new one on Saturday, and seeing as this is the first and only lens I own with IS, I really don't know what sounds are normal and which are not.

I have 15 days during which I can get an immediate replacement of the lens, after that is has to be sent to Canon.

How can I find out if my lens suffers from this? Can anyone record the sound or something? Is there a test to see if it happens?

Hope someone can help. Cheers!

http://blissphoto.eu/b​log (external link)

soundsk
203 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 12, 2012 13:02 as a reply to  @ soundsk's post |  #57

Now you got me wondering! Going to test thoroughly as soon as I get home.

Searched "70-200 IS noise" on Youtube and found this video (external link). Is this the noise everyone talks about?

Cheers!

Invertalon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 12, 2012 14:44 |  #58

soundsk wrote in post #14072600 (external link)
Now you got me wondering! Going to test thoroughly as soon as I get home.

Searched "70-200 IS noise" on Youtube and found this video (external link). Is this the noise everyone talks about?

Cheers!

That is the exact noise I had!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

soundsk
203 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 12, 2012 16:08 as a reply to  @ Invertalon's post |  #59

So, got home and headed straight to my camera bag.

Turned the camera on. With IS off there is no unusual noise.
After turning on IS, these is a noise whenever you half press the shutter button. I kept it pressed and looked through the viewfinder, wiggle the camera around and IS appears to work. When I let go of the shutter button it makes the noise again, after like one second.
So it would appear it makes this noise when it starts and stops the IS.

Like I said, I have no other lens with IS so I don't know if this is normal. I recorded a small video with sound, can somebody with knowledge of how it should work tell me if it is OK or if I need to return it ASAP?

Youtube video of MY lens on the 7D (external link)

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Cheers...

Sir_Loin
550 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 12, 2012 16:21 |  #60

Sounds normal to me. I've had mine for over year and it makes that slight "woosh" sound when the IS engages and disengages and it works flawlessly. If you want noisy, get the 300mm f/4.0L IS. It clunks and grinds, but again it's normal as that's first generation IS. Stop worrying and go out and take pictures! :)

EOS 1D4, 5D3, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, EF 24mm f/1.4L II, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II, EF 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, EF 300mm f/4.0L IS * FL-F 300mm f/5.6 FLUORITE, FD 55mm f/1.2 ASPHERICAL, FD 50mm f/1.2L, FD 300mm f/2.8L, FD 50-300mm f/4.5L, EOS M5, M3, EF-M 11-22mm f/4.0-5.6 IS, EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS, EF-M 22mm f/2.0, EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS

sponsored links

9,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
OK... So I think the 70-200 II IS design is faulty.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.