Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Mar 2012 (Friday) 01:37
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "The new 5DMIII is:"
Exceeded my expectations
9.3%
About right
41%
Disappointed
11.1%
Overpriced regardless
38.5%

837 voters, 836 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DMIII POLL: What do you think?

afalco
110 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 05, 2012 15:57 |  #136

After comparing the sample photos available so far the D800 seem to be the better camera for me producing images with details quite comparable with MF backs just a year ago. This is especially true for the D800E. It is somewhat understandable because of the much higher resolution. At the same time the noise characteristics - or the in camera NR - is also better on the Nikon. Either this or for some unfathomable reason Canon did not post the best photos that can be created using it.
BTW on the other hand the ergonomics of the Canon body is much better IMO.
I can afford to be unbiased I think because both cameras are out of reach for me at the moment. And not because they're yet unavailable :(

Gear is one thing photos are another story.
500px.com/AndreasFalco (external link)
photography.andreasfal​co.com (external link)
Thank you.

sponsored links
Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 05, 2012 17:03 |  #137

I'm looking forward to the real reviews from dpreview and the like.

So far, it honestly looks like a do-all replacement for me. 6fps is good enough, high-ISO will be at least as good as it is with the 5D2 and the AF system is probably better than it is in my old-timey 1D.

Price is steep, but it's basically a replacement for what people hated most about the 5D2 - low fps and outdated AF.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 05, 2012 18:12 |  #138

POTN members have been saying forever that what they wanted was the 7D's AF with the 5D2 sensor. That's what Canon gave us. Why do people sound unhappy? Because Canon is literally charging the price of a 5D2 + 7D. Considering most of the added technology is already a couple of years old, it's hard to not feel disappointed even though it is, no doubt, a very good camera.

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 05, 2012 18:18 |  #139

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14030785 (external link)
POTN members have been saying forever that what they wanted was the 7D's AF with the 5D2 sensor. That's what Canon gave us. Why do people sound unhappy? Because Canon is literally charging the price of a 5D2 + 7D. Considering most of the added technology is already a couple of years old, it's hard to not feel disappointed even though it is, no doubt, a very good camera.

It is exactly what people wanted. And most features have been out for a while. The sensor on the other hand is brand new. It may not be a MP monster but for one, I'd rather it be 22MP. Digic 5+ is new as well, and the AF is more advanced than the 7D.

Canon is charging too much for the camera, along with everything else that's new they are releasing. I'm more concerned about 5 years from now...

Oh and I've got two MKIII's on preorder.:)

5DMKIII | EOS M | 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon | 15mm f/2.8 fisheye | 16-35mm f/4 L | 24-105mm L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 100mm Macro f/2.8 L IS | 580ex II | Benro C2980F Veratile legs w/ Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Head | www.alaskanphotographs​.com (external link)

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Mar 05, 2012 18:18 |  #140

Why do people sound unhappy? Because Canon is literally charging the price of a 5D2 + 7D. Considering most of the added technology is already a couple of years old, it's hard to not feel disappointed even though it is, no doubt, a very good camera.

That's perhaps the best explanation I've heard yet. ;)

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

nikhilnh
426 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 05, 2012 18:50 |  #141

Certainly one of the best responses in this thread

FLICKR [  (external link)Feedback]

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 05, 2012 18:59 |  #142
bannedPermanent ban

bzollinger wrote in post #14029130 (external link)
Much less? $500 is 14% of the total cost of $3500, and it's 16% of the cost of a D800.

So a camera that costs 16% more than a D800 is much more expensive? That's damn near sales tax in some states!!!

Also that means that about 50% of the poll is leaning towards "about right" and "exceeded expectations".:rolleyes:

You can manipulate the figures anyway you want...but for $1800 you can buy a lightly used 5d2 with grip. The same outfit using the 5d3 would be over $4000 which is more than 100% higher and $2000 more expensive.

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 05, 2012 19:04 |  #143

Hogloff wrote in post #14031105 (external link)
You can manipulate the figures anyway you want...but for $1800 you can buy a lightly used 5d2 with grip. The same outfit using the 5d3 would be over $4000 which is more than 50% higher and $2000 more expensive.

Possibly, but you're talking about buying a used 3.5 year old camera compared to one that was only announced a few days ago. What you say may be true, but it's a terrible comparison.

What's more relavent is the price of the new 5D3 vs. what the 5d2 was, and what 90% of POTN members keep saying is a more reasonable price, $3000.

BTW- I have no intention of buying a grip for my soon to be new camera. I've never owned one ever, but $500 for one sounds like a rip off. If I was going to buy one I'd probably opt for a third party grip.

5DMKIII | EOS M | 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon | 15mm f/2.8 fisheye | 16-35mm f/4 L | 24-105mm L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 100mm Macro f/2.8 L IS | 580ex II | Benro C2980F Veratile legs w/ Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Head | www.alaskanphotographs​.com (external link)

robtaylor22
425 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 05, 2012 19:04 |  #144

I think a MP range around 22 is fine. I've had no complaints with 21.1MP with my MkII, more would have been nice but not what I was looking for. The other specs look about right, the AF seems more than what I was expecting but hey, Canon owes after the ancient 9pt. system in the MkII. I am curious to see how good noise is really controlled. I could certainly use another 2 stops on noise. Happily I can wait to see to see. The MkII may be last year's model but it's still serving me well.

Wish the price were lower, big disappointment there. But frankly I think we all need to get used to higher prices on a lot of things. Been to the gas pumps lately? That's here to stay.

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 05, 2012 19:05 |  #145

Too early to say.

AF sounds like it will be awesome and everything I wanted and more than I even optimistically expected (1Ds3 or 1D4 AF). But will it work?

MP count is about 40-50% lower than I had hoped for.

fps are what I had hoped and expected.... IF it had had at least 28MP but at least 1fps too slow for 22MP especially at $3500!

ISO 100 DR remains to be seen. I hope it is high 13stops like Sony/Nikon Exmor sensor but I fear it will be less.

SNR at mid and high ISO remains to be seen. It would be awesome if it were 1.5 stops better than the 5D2 but I fear it might be as little as 1/3-1/2 stop better.

On paper the movie mode sounds a lot better, but some samples show noise free, but utterly detail free, fake, waxy, plastic look that looks like a cheap camcorder output from 1980. Hopefully it is jsu tbecause they turned on too much in cam NR. On paper the video should be awesome on this.

Metering is worse than the D800.

No built in flash or intervalometer like D800.

Depending upon how things play out I might consider it anyway from $1200 over-priced to a trace pricey but a pretty solid value at $3500.

cfnz
105 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 05, 2012 19:09 |  #146

bzollinger wrote in post #14030820 (external link)
Canon is charging too much for the camera, along with everything else that's new they are releasing. I'm more concerned about 5 years from now...

The 5D mk III isn't quite what I wanted it to be but it's pretty close. While I'm not thrilled about the price, thinking about how things may change in the future is one thing that may tempt me to spend the money now rather than waiting for a future camera.

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 05, 2012 19:12 as a reply to  @ dave kadolph's post |  #147

You guys (Mookalafalas, dave kadolph, and nikhilnh) seriously think that a brand new sensor (have yet to see it's results), Digic 5+, greatly expanded ISO, 61 point AF, 100% viewfinder, slightly improved screen, 6fps, +-5 EV, 2, 3, 5, 7 frame AEB, Multiple exposure, built-in HDR, and dual storage slots, account for nothing more than what the 5Dmkii and/or 7D can do?

I say quit trolling...

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 05, 2012 19:31 |  #148

^^ Oh and silent shooting, touch-sensitive rear dial, an electronic viewfinder overlay w/ a customizable warning, and a bigger relocated DOF preview button.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 05, 2012 19:55 |  #149

Hey, I'm happy. I'd like it more at $3000, but the price is not completely nuts. They did indeed give me at least exactly what I have been saying I wanted since the day the 5D2 was announced.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,463 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 05, 2012 20:04 |  #150

Honestly I am a little upset with the camera. I'm sure it'll be a great camera with great features, but the things I wanted most are not included in it.

1) I mostly wanted the AF to be much improved. It really seems like it is, BUT!!! I saw in Digitalrev's first impression video that the AF points are still clustered around the center of the frame and not spread out towards the outside more, like a 1D. I am disappoint.

2) I was excited to hear that there was an increase in frame rate, but only 6fps... I had begun to hope that the 5D3 would get 8fps but alas. Not a huge deal because I'd be using it more for events and landscape photos. Would have been nice though.

3) Video is still stuck with 1080/30p, but at least it gets 702/60p. I'd rather shoot 720p anyway because the files will be much smaller and easier to deal with. This isn't any form of deciding factor for me on buying the camera at all. Just a small upset, like buying a luxury car like BMW or Mercedes but it doesn't come with heated seats... Very nice to have but not necessary at all for me.

4) Price. Seems overly high, but they need to make up for R&D and all the other money put into the camera. I can understand this, I work in a factory. I know what's going on. I'm also disappointed enough to not want to buy the camera anyway, so price can't really bother me at all. It's not worth my money, but to someone else it might be.

5D4 | 8-15L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

sponsored links

24,118 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DMIII POLL: What do you think?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.